Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a thread going right now about exhaust and which are the quietest ones, you might want to take a peek at that

I know I had a Borla exhaust, and it was quiet, just had a nice low hum to it.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default not positive this goes with this thread but?

Does any one know where I can find a thread on the K&N intake and what it produced for HP before I buy the injen?
The is a 8 page thread on intake shootout but that was 2003 and the K&N wasn't out yet. So they figured out that @ that time injen was the best. So I am wondering if K&N is the best now?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default also was wondering?

Will headers bolt onto my stock exhaust?
Until I can afford My borla? If so is ok on my engine? Is the any gaskets that I need for the headers and do they blow off? Meaning I replaced my exhaust manifold with headers on my 78 K5 blazer and the gaskets made of paper were gettin eatin alive by the engine. So I swithched to copper and sealled them up with sealant and have been fine 2000 miles so far. So I am wondering if the same happens with the scion? Will a borla exhaust make horsepower I know that's weird but I wondered since its quiet is the flow restricted more their by less HP?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

top menu > features > tech

there are a LOT of how to's and information ...I installed my own header (strup) from that walk through...i used the one Mikochu wrote up (or i think it was him)

he explains the parts you will need and the tools you will need for the header, the gasket is metal not paper by the way...seems well made too, of course im a newb so how could i compare

i would make sure you have a breaker bar, and make sure you have the exact tools listed...i thought i would be OK with other stuff....and i had no breaker bar, it sucked..and i had to go buy one. it is an easy install, but not easy work, at least it wasnt easy for me.

it is noted you will feel like a new man when your done, some of those bolts are tough...but the end result is worth it!!

As for Borla - I dont think because its quiet it doesnt make power, most exhausts would give power somewhat...but even more if you get the header, intake & exhaust all together...its the whole airflow from start to finish that makes it worth it
Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't waste your money on an Injen SRI. If you like that design, save your money and get the YDR. Same exact design, 1/3 the price. If you want a better design for about the same money as the Injen, get the Fujita F5.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default what about the K&N TYPHOOON

i am hearing that its a great intake? i am getting ready to purchase one and even though they are all very close in performance i prefer the best.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Peter_Rabbit
im ordering the strup axelback soon and was wondering, later on when i get a header(dc or strup) will the exhaust get considerably louder? right now i have the injen s/r and dont want the exhaust too loud.
i'm getting the strup header and exhaust installed tomorrow pm me and i'll let you know

btw i live in fort lee, finally found someone who's close to me that owns a box
Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are willing to spend the coin, and want a short ram Fujita is the only way to go. At least in my opinion. If you really want the Injen design, save yourself money and get a YDR instead.

If you are interested in the Fujita, I purchased mine through http://www.ptuning.com. They got it shipped to me quick during the Christmas rush, and they had the best pricing I could find online.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 05 Auto and I have already done many mods, I will give you my list I have the RS2.0 so it already came with Exhaust.
1. YDR Intake with Green Filter
2. Unorthodox Under Drive Pulley ( Very Noticable)
3. DC Sport Header

Any Questions you can PM me. Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XB...Just not fast w/ normal mods.

Put a cat back Magnaflow and SPFR intake...auto is just slow so don't expect much, I couldn't say it was alot in the pants feeling...XB engine is small so you really have to Turbo or supercharge it, but that a different $range altogether plus jacks up your warranty.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

What about I/H/E, Crank pulley, hypervoltage kit, grounding wires, upgraded radiator, trd sports thermostat, blitz atf cooler/or just aftermarket atf cooler, fuel rail, weapon r engine dampiner, oil catchcan, sport oil filter. Not so much for amazing performance, but how does that setup sound for extra perfomance with giving the auto B more life, and the ability to be pushed harder?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Grimstar
What about I/H/E, Crank pulley, hypervoltage kit, grounding wires, upgraded radiator, trd sports thermostat, blitz atf cooler/or just aftermarket atf cooler, fuel rail, weapon r engine dampiner, oil catchcan, sport oil filter. Not so much for amazing performance, but how does that setup sound for extra perfomance with giving the auto B more life, and the ability to be pushed harder?
That's just overkill. I/H/E is enough. These engines don't/won't make nearly enough power for everything else you listed.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Allright im planning on doing the i/h/e route(auto) and was wundering that since i live in cali is there any parts I can use and pass smog?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well written response's by killerxromances and RTon20s. I think I have followed their advice here for mod's. The response's they give seem researched and when you listen to alot of the conjecture it is not. I have done the AEM CAI, EL Prototype ceramic header, TRD exhaust, Ground Wire Kit, NGK Iridium plugs, CNR billet UnderDrive Pulley, TEIN S-Tech spring's, and Fuzion HRi 195/60/15's. I love the way my box drives! IT's a blast! My friend's love it too. I didn't go the big tire route to save alittle hp. Mine is Auto as well and I think it drive's really well. I have alway's had a stick and I love to drive the car. Stick people know what I mean. I have found that the mod's I did and the way I drive I get about 27 -28mpg around town and 37-39mpg hwy. I like to drive it around town with the O/D shut off. It feel's alittle sportier to me who know's But non the less it's fun and that was why I bought it.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and by the way one thing I forgot Texas or at least Austin, Just went to smog inspection. I think I am safe. Oh yeah and I spent about $900 and did alot of the labor. Reading about stuff here. Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

37-39mpg? highly doubt it. How are you calculating mileage Tim?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Carr
Well written response's by killerxromances and RTon20s. I think I have followed their advice here for mod's. The response's they give seem researched and when you listen to alot of the conjecture it is not. I have done the AEM CAI, EL Prototype ceramic header, TRD exhaust, Ground Wire Kit, NGK Iridium plugs, CNR billet UnderDrive Pulley, TEIN S-Tech spring's, and Fuzion HRi 195/60/15's. I love the way my box drives! IT's a blast! My friend's love it too. I didn't go the big tire route to save alittle hp. Mine is Auto as well and I think it drive's really well. I have alway's had a stick and I love to drive the car. Stick people know what I mean. I have found that the mod's I did and the way I drive I get about 27 -28mpg around town and 37-39mpg hwy. I like to drive it around town with the O/D shut off. It feel's alittle sportier to me who know's But non the less it's fun and that was why I bought it.
Thanks for the kind words, if you have or anyone else has questions regarding any mods they plan or want to do, feel free to ask. If i can't help you right then, i know people than can help.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

killerxromances are you able to tell me what i can put on my car in cali and still stay legal?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tay831
killerxromances are you able to tell me what i can put on my car in cali and still stay legal?
You can do i/h/e, so long as the header isn't a race header...i.e, removes the cat. You can also do light weight or underdriven crank pulley, probably shorter throttle cable. I believe the blitz s/c is smog legal but you may want to double check on that. I also have heard that the greddy s/c is under going smog testing now and Greddy plans to have it smog legal for cali buyers. ZPI head and pistons should be smog legal, but they need someone to test fit and dyno test them still... Especially the head.

Remember the xb is light weight, 120whp on a box is pretty quick. Over 130whp and the box can be fast. You may also want to check out replacing all the gears if you have a manual, if you don't mind or interested in having shorter gears. The box will pull harder, which in return will give you a better responce and a faster car. Weight reduction will also help.

If you have anything in specific you'd like to ask, go for it. Right now thats all i can think of as far as power mods go, i can probably think of more later. Oh, as for the exhaust, as long as you have the cat's you will be fine with axle, cat or full exhaust with high flow cat's.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow thanks for info, so if I go header/intake/exhaust,lightweight pulleys what kind of hp do u think I will put to the floor? I have and auto so would a change to the ecu help? I like the ride of the xb already just would like a little more quickness.

Quick Reply: What's the best mod for xB Automatics?