Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tay831
Wow thanks for info, so if I go header/intake/exhaust,lightweight pulleys what kind of hp do u think I will put to the floor? I have and auto so would a change to the ecu help? I like the ride of the xb already just would like a little more quickness.
light weight crank pulley doesn't add whp, but it does increase acceleration to get you closer to the powerband. As to i/h/e, my set up gives me 96whp according to dynojet.

Don't let people fool you, light weight cars don't need a ton of power to pull good times. Although, with an auto you will be in the 16's for a while. I still am, but plan to break 15's very soon. To be honest, work on suspension the most. The xb handles amazing and autox/road course (track not actual street) is where the most fun is at imo.

Theres no ecu direct swap kit yet, so swapping the ecu would prove to be a headach to some degree. You can swap to a echo ecu, but you will loose traction controll and i believe abs as well. If you don't mind not having those things, go for it. Its up to you.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again thanks for everything killer just on more ? you said that you have 96 whp accoring to the dyno doesnt the stock xb put that to the floor? Sorry probably a noob mistake by me.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read the descriptions about I/H/E mods improving performance. Sounds good. But what about the catalytic converter? If it is stock then it seems like it would be a bottleneck, slowing exhaust gases down and creating back pressure. Is it an issue or a non-issue?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tay831
Again thanks for everything killer just on more ? you said that you have 96 whp accoring to the dyno doesnt the stock xb put that to the floor? Sorry probably a noob mistake by me.
Stock manauls: 89-93whp
Stock automatics: 85-89whp

No problem, if you have anything else feel free to IM me (aim/aol) or PM me.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jthebear
I read the descriptions about I/H/E mods improving performance. Sounds good. But what about the catalytic converter? If it is stock then it seems like it would be a bottleneck, slowing exhaust gases down and creating back pressure. Is it an issue or a non-issue?
Its not a big issue.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the larger bottle neck is in the header. If you look at the install section you will see the difference. As well if you only have a CAI and not forced induction then a little back pressure is a good thing. Oh yeah sorry if the hwy mpg was high. I guess maybe more like 35-37mpg.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Carr
I think the larger bottle neck is in the header. If you look at the install section you will see the difference. As well if you only have a CAI and not forced induction then a little back pressure is a good thing. Oh yeah sorry if the hwy mpg was high. I guess maybe more like 35-37mpg.
Backpressure is always a good thing.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey Killer X how come you don't sample the new piston head combo? I REALLY want to but my car has less than 2k on it and It would really suck if somethin wasn't quite right.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey Killer X how come you don't sample the new piston head combo? I REALLY want to but my car has less than 2k on it and It would really suck if somethin wasn't quite right.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seattleplasma
I want to, but i really don't have the money right now to do anything. If i had the money i'd sample and test/trial it out for everyone.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For Tay831...

If you are concerned about passing smog, you need to be somewhat cautious in your purchases. You can get pretty much any exhaust that you want, they really won't affect you when you get your car smoged. You do want to be careful in your choice of header and exhaust.

If you want to be 100% legal you will have to buy products that have been CARB (California Air Resource Board) Approved. Most manufacturers are very sure to note when they have a product that is CARB certified. I think DC is probably one of the only CARB certified headers. But quite a few of the manufacturers have CARB certified intakes. Your best bet is to stick with big name brands as they are the most likely to have the resources to get all of their products CARB certified.

Hope that helps.