Notices

Cranking the boost on a greddy turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cranking the boost on a greddy turbo

What can I crank the boost on a Greddy turbo kit to, with an I/C, custom connecting rods, and lower compression ratio pistons?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one really knows yet. If you have rods in your motor then you might be among the first to find out. Where did you get the rods? Plus youll have to tune it. Im waiting for my upgraded fuel components so and I plan on building the motor so I'll push this stock one to the limit.

The Greddy Emanage has our ECU's altered to an AFR or 13.5. With the new fuel components, I will tune my car to 12.5. At that point I will turn the boost up to 8-9psi.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be interested to know as well. I can get this kit so cheap but it seems to not be producing very good number.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xmetalx
I would be interested to know as well. I can get this kit so cheap but it seems to not be producing very good number.
An extra 27whp and 53wtq for under $2k not good numbers? I dont get it. Thats even with stock exhaust. Adding the right exhaust to compliment the power curve along with fuel and tuning will give the even more potential. The problem right, if there is any, is the Emanage map. Once you get the engine prepped for more boost, all it takes is a boost controller or an adjustment on the actuator arm to bump up the boost. Im not knocking other kits, but I dont understand what all the Greddy bashing is either.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same boost as the ZPI kit but you get 50+ more HP with ZPI? That is why I think the greddy kit is weak. Thanks for your time trying to convince me that by purchasing the greddy kit and modding it that I would have a good setup.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xmetalx
Same boost as the ZPI kit but you get 50+ more HP with ZPI? That is why I think the greddy kit is weak. Thanks for your time trying to convince me that by purchasing the greddy kit and modding it that I would have a good setup.
Geesh man, you really dont see the entire picture eh? The ZPI kit made 181whp. Lets see why the car made that much? First of all, they ran 1.5 more boost as my Greddy kit is boosting 6psi from the preset actuator. Second, their kit is NOT the production kit, an ILLEGAL exhaust system (2.5 straight pipe, etc.) and who knows what else is added to that car. Also look at their dyno pictures. They have that HUGE fan blowing into the front of the car. I dynoed my car with EVERYTHING stock. Who cares how much power this and that added together are going to make. People want to know how much a single item will make so I showed you. Those who add intake and exhaust, wouldnt you want to know what kind of gains you get from each item?

Dont forget, one kit is also almost double the price of the other.

Lets look at the two kits without bias.

manifold
Greddy - cast iron manifold which will not break
ZPI - stainless tubular manifold - will outflow the Greddy but SS turbo manifolds are prone to cracking

turbo
The Greddy/Mitsu 14g turbo is not as big as the one ZPI uses but spools fast and is reliable
ZPIs kit makes tons of peak power but some might not like the 3800rpm spool time, esp since our rev limit is around 6k rpm. So that gives us 2200rpm of power?

intercooler
Greddy intercooler is decent but not as big as the ZPI one. After driving 100+ miles the intake side piping is HOT, but outlet side to the TB remains cool. The intercooler did its job.
ZPI has a larger core, but I am not sure who makes their intercooler. I prefer Bell intercoolers...

Injectors
The ZPI kit comes with larger injectors (370cc) where as the Greddy kit doesnt. I bought Celica GTS injectors from ebay for $50.

Emanage
Both come with Emanage, one will be tuned by Greddy, the other ZPI. your choice

Those are the main differences between the kits. I dont care which one you like or dislike, but its unfair to bach one or the other. Both improve the performance of the XB and thats all you should be concerned about. At an average price difference of $1700, some people will prefer one over the other. One thing that is for SURE, is you ARE NOT going to get 181whp by simply bolting on one kit, unless that kit comes with the same intake and exhaust set up as used in their test vehicle.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can someone explain the benefits of new rods and the difference between the stock rods.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^good points, rollhard.

With the greddy- you pay approx. $45 per horse.
Now, in fairness, lets say that when the ZPI goes production it gives a +25hp over the greddy, but it costs $3500- you pay approx.$50
The ZPI will probably come out a little more than what I'm guesstimating- so $ per horse, you're gonna get the same boost for buck.

The big question will be...how much do you want to spend?

And if anybody thinks that $45 per horse sounds bad--If you are one of those people who paid about $170 for an intake that gives you maybe 4-5 hHP, then you paid about the same amount per horse as the turbo guys- just on a smaller scale.

Personally, I'm putting some real consideration into the Greddy turbo for myself. The numbers are real, they're there- and it's availible now.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont forget the 181whp is with their custom straight pipe and exhaust. Im am certain with a new intake and exhaust, Ill make better numbers. Again, I am not endorsing any one kit over the other. Both are good kits. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The power curve on the 1nz with the two kits are totally different too. Greddy's hairdryer turbo makes full boost at 3k rpm where as the zpi kit will boost at 3800 but hit a lot harder.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Dont forget the 181whp is with their custom straight pipe and exhaust. Im am certain with a new intake and exhaust, Ill make better numbers. Again, I am not endorsing any one kit over the other. Both are good kits. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The power curve on the 1nz with the two kits are totally different too. Greddy's hairdryer turbo makes full boost at 3k rpm where as the zpi kit will boost at 3800 but hit a lot harder.
A lot of good points here... bottom line both kits have their pros and cons, we'll have to see what happens with the ZPI kit. Roll hard is right, with a custom exhaust system (to be had for pennies on the dollars from a good muffler/exhaust shop) even connected to a greddy muffler (bored out to match the pipe), this kit could even do more than it's doing...

Alot of people are putting too much focus on Legal/Illegal/Carb/etc and not focusing on the product itself. They are taking a car an safely boosting it to #'s not seen so far...

And in response to the Huge fan comment... Not sure the last time you've been to a dyno, but every dyno shop I've been to uses a big blaster fan to simulate a driving condition and to keep things a bit cool...

I'm really excited bout ZPI and the progress they've made thus far... When the time is right, myself and others will report our real world experiences and either put our foots in our mouths or make believers out of the skeptics..

Good luck to all!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey watch out with the GTS injectors as they are not exactly the same, they are ever so slightly shorter. i put them in my car and ran into vacum leak probs right away, lost a-lot of top end power even with correct afr. They are shorter, thus the fuel rail bolted down doesnt "smush" the injector into the head enough to get proper sealing. I sujest putting an extra o-ring around the top neck of the injector so when the rail is bolted down, more pressure is against the injector.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Hey watch out with the GTS injectors as they are not exactly the same, they are ever so slightly shorter. i put them in my car and ran into vacum leak probs right away, lost a-lot of top end power even with correct afr. They are shorter, thus the fuel rail bolted down doesnt "smush" the injector into the head enough to get proper sealing. I sujest putting an extra o-ring around the top neck of the injector so when the rail is bolted down, more pressure is against the injector.
Wow, I was told they were direct replacements. Thanks for the heads up! I ordered the Perin fuel rail also from Sciongarage. I have no clue if I'll ever get it. They wont respond to my emails and dont have a phone number to call.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cz3ch
Alot of people are putting too much focus on Legal/Illegal/Carb/etc and not focusing on the product itself. They are taking a car an safely boosting it to #'s not seen so far...
I am sure that the "legal/illegal/CARB" questions don't matter a whole heck of a lot for someone from Texas. But for folks in California it makes all the difference in the world.

Any one of these kits could be making 300 reliable horsepower on pump gas and expelling helium from the exhaust for all of you party balloon needs. You know what that would mean for someone in California who wanted to drive his car every day? NOTHING. Without CARB certification you have thousands of potential buyers who will never give your product a second look.

So until the CARB questions have been answered that will be the primary, and in some cases ONLY focus of Scion enthusiasts in California. After that has been accomplished then we will concern ourselves with the particulars.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am sure that the "legal/illegal/CARB" questions don't matter a whole heck of a lot for someone from Texas. But for folks in California it makes all the difference in the world.

Any one of these kits could be making 300 reliable horsepower on pump gas and expelling helium from the exhaust for all of you party balloon needs. You know what that would mean for someone in California who wanted to drive his car every day? NOTHING. Without CARB certification you have thousands of potential buyers who will never give your product a second look.

So until the CARB questions have been answered that will be the primary, and in some cases ONLY focus of Scion enthusiasts in California. After that has been accomplished then we will concern ourselves with the particulars.
Sadly, this is true.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metal112524
can someone explain the benefits of new rods and the difference between the stock rods.
The stock rods are very weak and cannot handle much horsepower, if too much power is thrown at them they will snap and you will be screwed. With aftermarket rod, they are built to handle more power and the added presure found with forced induction. Most aftermarket rods are forged which means they are made using heat or a hydraulic press cause the metal to be more dense and less susceptible to craking and snapping.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member

for the whole hook up (greddy) and intercooler and exhaust who would be the cheapest to buy from that you have seen
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrisnin
for the whole hook up (greddy) and intercooler and exhaust who would be the cheapest to buy from that you have seen
If you are looking for cheap, your best bet is to search on google or something for an internet based business or some kid selling parts out of his moms garage. Those prices are unbeatable. Then find a good installer to put it in for you. I stopped playing the price game a while back.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully within the next week or two, you'll see the first two streetable ZPI xb's out there... totally different design than what you are thinking of... stay tuned.. and great work on your kit!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also keep in mind. the motor is small. its a bored out 1.3 no room to sleeve the wall and it can handle only so much. i would love to see internals and a performance head and manifold set avalable.

if honda's B series motoros can produce crazy numbers with 0.1 more in displacement, i think toyota can do it too
Old 07-02-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member

I miss the old Honda days when I had my 92 Civic hatch bone stock looking with a H22 running mid 13'5 with only a intake. God smoking Mustangs never gets old. Wish I could do the same with my XB.