Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Greddy turbo & idiot lights

Hello I, finally, got a turbo for my xB. I have had it installed now for about a month or so and every other day or every 3 days or so, the check engine, vsc & traction control idiot lights come on.

I know what why they are coming on & I have had it scanned by autozone which came back with a error code of the O2 sensor and I know how to reset the ecu so those lights go away.

What I would like to know is what to do so that this doesn’t keep occurring. Is there something I can do myself or have the shop do that installed the turbo? It doesn’t bother me much, other than the car runs kinda crappy when the lights are on & I have to reset all the settings on my stereo from disconnecting the battery – so I was hoping that someone out there has determined a way to fix this.

What I have is the greddy bolt on turbo kit with custom piping to a front mounted intercooler & that’s about it. The greddy blue e-manage has the greddy stock programming already on it. I plan to do a full tune in the near future after I replace the stock clutch with something new

Is there any advice someone out there can give me?

Thanks for helping me out
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A full tune will be better. Ever car breaks in a little bit differently and a tune will conform to your car's needs in better ways than the "stock" tune.

Other than that if the engine runs a lil weird when the light comes on, check water temps, spark plugs (engine off), oil temp, and make sure you run premium fuel (91-93) from a top tier gas station.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thank you. I am using 92 all the time and plan to do the full tune soon & hope that does work.

Thanks for the input
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my idiot lights came on after my turbo install and tune. It fixed itself after i disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes when I was installing my head-unit. When I hooked the battery back up, the lights were off and have been since. Hope this helps, but definitely get a real tune.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I disconnect the battery each night the lights come on and that resets the ecu and usually is good for a day or 2.

once i get the funds, i'm going to replace the clutch & do a full tune & not use the greddy base map tune anymore.

when you got your turbo, did you notice a huge increase or mild increase? i don't see a noticeable difference in the first 3 gears, but i did notice a pretty big change in the top end. I just wonder if it was meant to be that way or maybe my clutch slipping is hindering everything
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had mine professionally tuned at Ptuning for 8psi when i first added the turbo. The difference in power was night and day. Question for you, did you upgrade the injectors?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have not upgraded the injectors yet. I think mine is also tuned at 6psi max 'cause I think that is factory from greddy.

You're able to successfully run 9psi on the stock block/motor?

I will have mine professionally tuned next - do you suggest I do injectors at the same time?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Right now I have it tuned for upto 9.5 psi. But I have it set for 8psi on the LOW setting and 9 on the HIGH setting on my boost controller, which you will also need. But you must upgrade the injectors if you hope to go anywhere above the base map. Find some used tC injectors... I found some on here for $50/shipped. You will also want to get the GReddy pressure sensor so your tuner can up the boost. You may also want to get some gauges, like boost and wideband air/fuel so can monitor whats going on.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

BTW, I just looked at your profile, your xB looks amazing! wow! just curious, how much $$$$$ have you invested in it? or did you do that bodywork/fiberglass yourself?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem, I solved it by using a o2 simulator. You replace the rear o2 sensor with the simulator, and then screw in the o2 sensor into re simulator.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HotBox420
BTW, I just looked at your profile, your xB looks amazing! wow! just curious, how much $$$$$ have you invested in it? or did you do that bodywork/fiberglass yourself?
Thanks a lot

I didn't do any of the stereo myself, i paid someone to do that 'cause it's a little out of my league. Just in the last 2 years I have put in probably around 8-9k. the stereo alone was 5k & so far i'm in to the turbo almost 3k.

it's been a on going process, but guess that's what it takes to win at shows and try to be the best in the NW here.

Originally Posted by HotBox420
Right now I have it tuned for upto 9.5 psi. But I have it set for 8psi on the LOW setting and 9 on the HIGH setting on my boost controller, which you will also need. But you must upgrade the injectors if you hope to go anywhere above the base map. Find some used tC injectors... I found some on here for $50/shipped. You will also want to get the GReddy pressure sensor so your tuner can up the boost. You may also want to get some gauges, like boost and wideband air/fuel so can monitor whats going on.
Thanks for the tip as well. I will look into tC injectors (that's a lot cheaper than I expected it to be). I will look into getting the greggy pressure sensor & the AEM wideband air/fuel gauge. I have a boost gauge already plus I have the Greddy E-01 boost controller that comes with the 2.5" LCD screen that monitors, records & shows me my boost, tach and I can control some things on there, but i haven't messed with that yet. I would like to get up to where you are 'cause then I think it would be more noticeable of a change & would enjoy it more i'm sure

Originally Posted by XB_BOY_2005
I had the same problem, I solved it by using a o2 simulator. You replace the rear o2 sensor with the simulator, and then screw in the o2 sensor into re simulator.
Thanks for the tip. That's a good idea & will have to try that.