Notices

GReddy Turbo Kit is crap..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got it from a local shop in chicago. its an earl's -4an assembled hose. you need -4an fittings on the turbo and at the t-fitting that came with the kit. heat is okay, but i'm going to put a 6 inch piece of stainless steel tubing in between the turbo and hose. i didn't have the union fitting so i couldn't do it yesterday.

no pressure restrictor.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

took a 5 inch piece of ss 1/4" tubing and flared it to add some space to dissipate the heat coming off the turbo. parts used: ss tube, tube nuts, tube sleeves, and #4 male union.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

very nice. that should help with that pesky oil problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just FYI, not to be a ___ but you may want to reconsider using zip ties on the oil line. Nylon breaks down under heat over 135 - 220 C, so depending on the material used it may break on you early and leave your oil line chafing. What I will be using is insulated hose clamps. To get separation, mount one on the oil line, one on what you want to attach it to and use a nut / bolt / lock washer combo to butterfly it. This is what I'm talking about:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Love the TRD oil filter though, I'll be running the standard Toyota black.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the oil line isn't zip tied. it's actually the perfect length so that it curves naturally without needing to be strapped down.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What fitting did you use to bypass the banjo on the turbo housing and did you need a restrictor washer? My replacement oil line was supposed to be here by now, so I called PTuning back. They got in touch with Greddy and found out "whoops, it wasn't in the last shipment from Japan, maybe next one .... at the end of April". I ordered this thing in February, it would have been quicker to order an entire turbo from Todd at TurboToyotas.

I'm about to say screw it and tap the turbo housing directly, Greddy is ____ing me off bad with their complete lack of support.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the problem isn't finding a fitting for the turbo side. finding a fitting for the t-fitting is the hard part. i was only able to make it work because there was an extra male-to-male fitting that came with the replacement hose from greddy. i believe the fitting on the turbo is m10x1.25 to -4AN. The t-fitting is tapped with a fine metric thread and i could not find it. I believe the pitch is .75 and the male union that came with the replacement greddy hose is .75 pitch to 1.25 pitch which then i was able to get a female metric to -4AN. I believe I posted all the part numbers for the earl's fittings on this thread.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by xa007xa
the problem isn't finding a fitting for the turbo side. finding a fitting for the t-fitting is the hard part. i was only able to make it work because there was an extra male-to-male fitting that came with the replacement hose from greddy. i believe the fitting on the turbo is m10x1.25 to -4AN. The t-fitting is tapped with a fine metric thread and i could not find it. I believe the pitch is .75 and the male union that came with the replacement greddy hose is .75 pitch to 1.25 pitch which then i was able to get a female metric to -4AN. I believe I posted all the part numbers for the earl's fittings on this thread.
Why didn't you just use an oil sandwich adapter for your oil source and gauge source? It is much less work and cheaper than the route you took.

I am not flaming by any means, just asking......
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cause I believe that this method is right as rain.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Funny you should mention that, I just ordered this:

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

I got the long shaft one since I've heard of fitment issues with the standard length one glowshift uses; the prosport one actually lists the tC. I mainly got it for the oil pressure sensor so I wouldn't have a huge double-t coming off of the block but I've considered using it for the feed line as well.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like a great solution. I'm sure there are plenty of npt-to-an fittings out there.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't like that sandwich adaptor plate what so ever the connector that it screws onto would only thread a about two thread on the union on the block i don't trust my life on that kind of quality of work...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

jct, which specific plate did you get, or can you provide references on issues with the Prosport lontg shaft version? The Greddy and Glowshift plates carry only a single 3/4UNF-16 fitting that's listed as fitting "most" Toyotas. The Prosport plate carries two designs for the 3/4 UNF-16 thread size. a normal length one, and a seperate long shaft version sepecifically for the Scion tC, Toyota MR2 and Celica.

I've read the posts on the short threads as well, but it seems to be specific to the Glowshift plate. The design is concept is solid and there's really not a lot of engineering needed on the plate, I think Greddy is a rip-off at $70. I'll know when it comes in, I'll be doing test fitment on a spare block and let you know how many threads I can get.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A bit of advise for those of you using a Oil filter adaptor.

Oil pressure at the filter block is much higher that at the pressure switch. Pressure at the filter is around 80psi under my observations. It will eventually settle down to around 60psi after running for about 15 minutes.

This elevated pressure was enough to push oil past the seals of the turbo (greddy) and my car was burning what was going into the charge piping. It is not a significant amount but it is emabarassing and smelly, not to mention the mess.

During my current build I have adapted a tee (1/8NPT) to the fitting of the stock oil pressure sensor and branced that off for the OEM pressure sensor, my Defi Oil pressure gague and for the feed line going into the turbo. I should see better results with that and a more accurate measurment of oil pressure during engine operation.

I'm not saying you can't use the adaptor, just use it with caution and watch your pressures to aviod issues down the road.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well I believe the stock Greddy banjo has a restrictor built in. I was planning on running one in an aftermarket hose. Here's how the sandwich plate worked out from Prosport. It's a good fit.

Here's the components and a Mobil 1 filter (I didn't want to have to unwrap a Toyota one just for fitment)

Here's what it will be mounted to. It's my old damaged block that happens to be sitting sideways at the moment.

The plate and the adapter are just barely screwed on in this picture. There's a good 1/2" or more of thread available.

Tightened down, there's still a lot of room left for the oil filter.

And the filter will seat all the way properly.

I will be pulling the banjo fitting and will try and measure the opening. The easiest way i see is to use the back end of a drill bit and keep fitting a larger size until it won't go. That should give me the restrictor size I need. I'm guessing it's .04 or .06.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the turbo is tapped m10x1.25! You can get an m10x1.50 to -4AN. then you get the -4AN hose and then you can get the adapter fitting for the sandwich plate. Why drill and retap?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yup, that's pretty much what I did today.

1/8 NPT male to -4AN male fitting for the oil sandwich adapter, 36" of -4AN female line with an elbow on one end, and a -4AN male to M10x1.25 male for the turbo housing.

Everything total was $28 from Henry's Engineering, and they made the line on site while I waited.

http://www.hphose.com/

I forgot how much the starter sticks out so I'll probably add a 45 degree elbow to get it routing in the proper direction.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I'm glad you found a good use for that engine.....

Glad to see the project is coming along as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thata boy!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only 2000 km and the greddy oil pressure hose failed also me.. this is very bad hose!

Quick Reply: GReddy Turbo Kit is crap..