Notices

Greddy Turbo Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default Greddy Turbo Problems?

I bought a greddy turbo kit and the intercooler. I keep seeing people mention that the header doesnt line up with the exhaust? How bad is it and what do you do to fix it. I would have installed it already but im in Iraq already so, i dont have anyway to actually verify the problem.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue is with the downpipe, not the manifold.

Where the flange is for the down-pipe doesent exactly line up with our exhaust (as its angled slightly off)

It's an easy fix, just have the flange wacked off and re-welded to a propper fit.

...the issue sprouts from the kit being a JDM piece, and the ist/bB has a different angled setup (im assuimng because of the rhd bias?)
Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you installed the Greddy kit ?? If so , what kind of bov deos it come with and is there some kind of boost control. ??
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does not come w/ a BOV or boost controler.

I am running a turbonetics Raptor recirculating BOV, as well as there single-flap mechanical boost controller.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

i bought a greddy rs BOV since its not supplied with the kit as for a boost controller still havent decided yet. Bfurches you just ran that way till you got to the exhaust shop or what... what are you running for fuel if i may ask
Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually did all the exhauts work my self with the help of a friend who is a certified welder.

As for fuel, i am running tC injectors along w/ the new A'PEXi Neo.

For your BOV, make sure you recirculate it back into the itake charge before the MAF or you may have idle issues, and you will stall udner heavy stops.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

was there any issues with an atm. BOV ?? It would be less gass millage but I would deal untill I got the welding done. So how serious is this downpipe problem?? got any pics ??
Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Are you saying an atmospheric blow-off wont work?? The kit i bought comes with an atmospheric BOV, i hope it doesn't cause me any problems. How about the Apex Neo, does it have a constant battle with your ECU that causes you to have to pull fuses everyday??
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jsosa, as far as your question on the neo, im not really sure how it deals...

I have a switch on the efi computer and evry time i park the car, i shut it down. Since there is really no control unit for timing, this prevents the car form excessivly retarding the timing and causing pinging (which i have yet to encounter, but have heard of)

As for the BOV, i though you purchased todd's kit? I was talking to him last night and i thought his kit came with a recirculator? Well regardless, he knows his stuff and im sure he wouldnt sell an item that doesent function. from my experience you NEED to run recirculator w/ any MAF car unless you have some piggyback way around it (like i do).

heres what im talking about. turbonetics puts what will happen into lamens tearms as they discuss the install of there BOV's:

"On engines fitted with mass flow meters, the Raptor Valve discharge MUST be routed back to the engine
between the air mass flow meter and turbocharger compressor intake, otherwise this will result in the
meter sending an excess air flow signal to the ECU, which will result in an extra rich fuel signal to the
injectors. The standard discharge connection is sized for a 1.50” I.D. hose (customer supplied)."

in other words, you let off the gas. The MAF already assumed that air needed to be burnt off, but it was dispersed into the air....so the car still dumps a ton of fuel, and you bog out.

Make sense?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That makes perfect sense... The same things happen on VW's. The thing is i didn't know that the BOV that came with Todd's kit was recirculating and i was considering changing it for a HKS SSQ, i guess i shouldn't do it.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok...

so i talked to Todd on the phone last night and asked him about his BOV. His kit for the manual transmission (whihc is what you have im assuming?) Comes with a Tial BOV which is set with a 12lb spring. Not putting words in his mouth, but he assured me he has yet to have any isses with the setup at-all.

As i mentioned before, He knows his stuff and wouldnt steer you wrong.n As for swapping the BOV, unless you plan on running some type of piggyback to eliminate the previously mentioned issue, i suggest you leave it the way it is!

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I ran a greddy RS atomspheric and the genetic TSI atmospheric BOV's and never stalled once with either
Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm thats odd. Im not saying you will stall just driving around town, its during any quick let-off's followed by rapid deceleration and etc. If i was to pull the recirculator off my turbonetics raptor right now, get up to about 35-40 under heavy throttle, then let off and go heavy on the brakes, teh car will stall evry time.

It all makes since.

-the motor already compensated for the total volume of air within the intake charge.
-you close the throttle plate, and the air is blown off into the atmosphere
-the car still assumes that air volume is in the intake chamber, so likewise continues to pulse the injectors
-now you have a super rich motor with no air to combust and it stalls out...

Just speaking from experience, but evry valve is different.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the difference is I had an automatic...it will never stall out because there is never a significant RPM drop like in a manual.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^
awww ic.

Did you have a lot of trouble with timing on your at?

Ive heard from a few that the auto guys ping the ____ outa there motors once they start uppin the boost.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bfurches
^^^
awww ic.

Did you have a lot of trouble with timing on your at?

Ive heard from a few that the auto guys ping the poop outa there motors once they start uppin the boost.
negative
Old 05-17-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am running an HKS SSQ BOV with the Greddy kit. I am not recirculating back into the intake tract and I do not have any idle issues what so ever.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what kind of fuel efficiency is everyone getting with a Turbo ??? Just curious to see if there is a huge difference and how well the emanage is working
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by griff
so what kind of fuel efficiency is everyone getting with a Turbo ??? Just curious to see if there is a huge difference and how well the emanage is working
I usually get 250 - 270 miles per tank. The most I have ever gotten turbocharged is 290. The most I ever got before I was turbocharged was 300 miles.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^are you an auto or stick?

If your running the standard e-manage tune, its actually setup specifically for a recirculating system (call and ask if you dont believe me)

As i mentioned, idling isnt really the issue (ulthough it CAN be), its let off's under heavy throttle, and then rapid deceleration (like if you were to auto-x or road race.)

Heres a little test for you stick guys. Bring your car up to about 35-40, quick (as in boosting), then let off the throtle and brake hard...

chances are, your gunna stall. Plain and simple, your overfueling the motor.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Problems?