Banned
SL Member

Default Rules for turboing your ride

RULES FOR TURBOING YOUR RIDE

1. DO NOT USE YOUR ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION
2. REFER TO RULE #1
3. PREPARE TO SPEND TWICE THAN WHAT YOU THOUGHT
4. DON’T BE CHEAP
5. A PIGGY BACK IS A BAND-AID GET REAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT, IT’S THE BRAINS OF YOUR MOTOR. DON’T WASTE YOUR HARD WORK.
6. BE PATICENT, YOU’R DOING SOMETHING TO YOUR RIDE IN WHICH IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO DO.
7. IF YOU CAN’T AFFORD THE UP-KEEP OR CAN BARELY AFFORD TO TURBO YOU’R RIDE TO BEGIN WITH, RETHINK WHAT YOU’R TRYING TO DO. THIS IS NOT A BUDGET MINDED MOD.
8. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON A RELIABLE COMPANY OR PERSON. IF THEY HAVE YOUR CAR OR OTHER CUSTOMER CARS FOR LONGER THAN 30 DAYS WITHOUT A SOLID ANSWER AS TO WHY; THAN YOUR GETTING PHUCKED

I wrote this because I've seen so many horror threads and this is also what I tell all people that come to me for advice when they want me to turbo their ride.

If you can’t honestly be ready for all the above than wait till you are.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I broke every single on of those rules and my car runs great.

if someone is a noob and determined to do it they wont be looking at a list that tells them not to. no one is that logical.

but after 3 turbo kits and many headaches i do agree with those points.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

#9) be able to spell Patient
#10) If you turbo an automatic, have a spare transmission on hand
#11) If at first your supercharger doesn't succeed, try again, ... with a turbo.
#12) When in doubt, external wastegate

Also, you can take the personal bias out of #5, you don't need Haltech for a street cruiser, and I'l like to keep my airbags, ability to control the auto transmission, speedomoter, odometer, ABS, etc. Stand alone just isn't practical for a daily driver, even if it is a second vehicle. Other than that, pretty solid list.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

It's just a list, take it or leave it.

And I didn't even mention Haltech. Perhaps you shouldn't worry about what I run. But from past experiences with Greddy Blue as well as Ultimate as well as a couple of other piggy backs; it's my past experience that tells me piggy backs are a band-aid with limited tuneability.

run what you want, I realy don't care! I understand most are on a budget. I'd rather save a little more and have a lot more reliability; Than be the typical in a rush and settle for less than something more than average.

Also My Haltech will control everthing you just mentioned and then some.

And really, who wants a automatic turbo in these cars? I did that for about thirty days, talk about worthless.

Last edited by xbgod; 09-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ____ all over rule 1.... lol. A longboard is my other means of transportation. I like living life on the edge.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by blown_xa
I ____ all over rule 1.... lol. A longboard is my other means of transportation. I like living life on the edge.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Blwon XA you don't count. You work at a shop that is well equipted.

As do I.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the rules, and will never turbo a box until I have two. One for turbo, and one for leisure. And once...♫I got money to blow oh oh, oh, oh oh, oh.♫ Oh oh, oh, oh I got, uh uh, I got money to blow oh oh, oh♫ Oh oh, oh, oh oh, oh, oh.♫ Got money to blow.♫

Thanks Birdman! :D
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbgod
It's just a list, take it or leave it.

And I didn't even mention Haltech. Perhaps you shouldn't worry about what I run. But from past experiences with Greddy Blue as well as Ultimate as well as a couple of other piggy backs; it's my past experience that tells me piggy backs are a band-aid with limited tuneability.

run what you want, I realy don't care! I understand most are on a budget. I'd rather save a little more and have a lot more reliability; Than be the typical in a rush and settle for less than something more than average.

Also My Haltech will control everthing you just mentioned and then some.

And really, who wants a automatic turbo in these cars? I did that for about thirty days, talk about worthless.
your making some pretty bold statements there.
i agree, standalone is better than a piggyback, but ive ran fic on many applications and never had problems with it. only motors ive blown are from my own faults, and mechanical failures.
plus hasn't all of this info already been covered about a thousand times?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should rename this thread: My Rules For Boosting
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

Their not bold statements, more like common sense. You can take them or leave them, makes no difference to me. And as far as the AEM FIC. Most real tuners will not even touch the piece of ____. I've gotten junk ones right out of the box, more often than not.

If you like it and are happy with it than stick with it. But a real turbo car this will never be adaqute for it.

It doesn't work the VVTI or allow for any type of fine tuneability. It does two things, fuel and ignition. Not exactly my way of tuning a car.

Like I said, take these rules for what their worth to you.

XBG
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbgod
It doesn't work the VVTI or allow for any type of fine tuneability. It does two things, fuel and ignition. Not exactly my way of tuning a car.
The AEM Fuel/Ignition Controller does exactly what it says it does?

I agree w/ DeAnzaJig, rename it XBG's rules for boosting HIS car.

Right tool for the right job my friend, there's a huge requirements gap between tuning for 150 and 500 HP. As an engineer, I always want a more robust, capable and versitile design, but the addage better is the enemy of good enough rings true.

Props for keeping the F/I section alive though, it's becoming a ghost town in here.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Have it professionally tuned! Btw Ptuning ran Greddy Emange Ultimate in there car for a long time and it ran good!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its just not practical at all to run a standalone for someone who is just mildly boosting their car. I mean think about it. 4g for a good kit, then another 2g for a standalone and tune? Thats already 6g, not to mention thats if you do everything yourself. But most people have them installed by shops. So you can figure another 2g for that. Thats 8g on a car thats 20g new. So 28g for 300whp, for a car that cant hook for ____ unless you spend another 2-3 thousand just to get traction. Its just very impractical. With 30g you could have just bought almost a brand new sti or evo. Thats why people dont waste their times spending millions on these cars if the motor is left unbuilt. That would be just stupid
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Or, you've gone that far, it would be stupid not to build the motor too. Let's be honest, putting a power adder on a 1NZ is already out of the realm of rational thought, so the constraints become what your passion and budget (and sometimes significant other) will allow.

My point is that a piggyback can handle a 45-50% HP gain, up to maybe 100%, and give equivalent performance to a stand-alone unit. When you need to start reprogramming the valve timing, changing cams, etc. to wring out extra power, it's stand-alone terratory.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Or, you've gone that far, it would be stupid not to build the motor too. Let's be honest, putting a power adder on a 1NZ is already out of the realm of rational thought, so the constraints become what your passion and budget (and sometimes significant other) will allow.

My point is that a piggyback can handle a 45-50% HP gain, up to maybe 100%, and give equivalent performance to a stand-alone unit. When you need to start reprogramming the valve timing, changing cams, etc. to wring out extra power, it's stand-alone terratory.
Only issue is I have yet to see a good tC standalone.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
Only issue is I have yet to see a good tC standalone.

We have been working with something, haven't posted yet because we want to make sure it is 100% before we advertise it. Controls dbw throttle body also. We used haltec in past, but customer support is basically sucky unless you are making a purchase.