Notices

Scion xA/xB & Toyota Echo, same engine??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Scion xA/xB & Toyota Echo, same engine??

i have been doing research for parts and kits on xA/xB's for my 2003 Echo, and i would like some input , and i have one big question, is there ANY difference in engines between these cars.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-22-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a cylinder head off an echo, and I saw one on the bench apart at the dealer from an xb or Xa, they are the same. Right down to the same bent exhaust valves. If you miss a shift hard, or worse downshift when you should be upshifting, youll launch a set of exhaust valves right past the rev limiter. I believe most everything else is the same, but Im sure there are minor differences with some external stuff, as to be expected. I believe for the most part they are swappable.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 AM

ok, thx, just as i thought, question tho, the rev limit that would break/bend the valves, what RPM would that be?? cause i know the gov kicks in at 7200, and i usealy don't go any higher then 6000. just wondering if this could be a bad RPM to be toping at
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car redlines at 6500, so you are safe up to there i suppose

also the 1FE-NZ engines in the xA, xB, Echo, are also in the Yaris as well
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that the ECUs have even been swapped on here as the xb and yaris have learning ECUs and the echo didn't (smaller processor rate)

The 04-05 xbs and 06 have different wiring though-hence the problem with the GReddy turbo and SC kits on an 06.

Yeah, same motor and the tranny is somewhat the same but the Echo I believe had different final drive or some sucth thing-it's in a thread in here about gearing
Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ECU's are different.

the echo's, or the older echo's don't have a learning ECU like the xa/xb do, and also, depending on the trim leve, they don't have ABS or traction control.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rev limiter just shuts off the fuel flow so if you are accelerating and give it too must gas or shift late, you are ok. If you accidently shift from 5th to 2nd, cutting power toteh injectors is not going to stop teh engine from rolling over way faster than it was designed to.

One of my first trips to work I missed 5th and put it in 3rd. I paniced thinking I ruined a new car. Turns out the manual says you can do 70 in 3rd before shifting, so I felt better after that.

I thought toy invented scion to get rid of the echo parts from a fuel efficient car that was going to take over the market.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I heard that the xb/xa was an echo with a nice body but I guess there was a lot that wasn't echo either. They struts and shocks are swappable but they lower the xb an extra 1/2 inch and are way too soft for the extra weight.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The built in rev limiter uses the ignition, not the fuel to keep the rpms down. If your under a load, and it hits it, your fine, the valve train can take far more rpm in its design. You just cant launch the valves into outer space, thats when its good to have the 60K warranty. Ive been at 107 in High gear when it hits the RL. I have an auto, so I let it shift into OD and it stops acting like a drag car on the two step right before it leaves the line.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM

i have put a techo in my echo, 1st/6000rpm, get 50 kph, 2nd/6000rpm 100 kph, and 3rd somewhere around 140 / 145 kph, i haven't seen any need to go higher then 6k cause the power drops right off after that, but i am wanting to put boost on it, just doing the research first, and if anyone has any good advice as in for parts and possibly good kits i would like to hear them. I'm trying to get a digital cam to get some pictures of my car.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should look at the turbo toyota's kit for the xa/xb. the only real problem might be the path of the piping since the body and grills and such are different.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the motor falls flat on its face after 5800 rpms. it would sound awesome if it would rev all the way to 9000 but thats not possible and pretty useless.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by SimonTrent
cause i know the gov kicks in at 7200, and i usealy don't go any higher then 6000. just wondering if this could be a bad RPM to be toping at
Wait wait wait, unless you have the 1.3L version of the echo, the Revs won't go that high, it will red line at 6400 RPM. Once you hit red line the revs drop to like 5000 RPM

Every now and then I hit redline while trying to squeeze that last bit of power out of each gear.

I would be great if the car could rev up to 7200 RPM, with the little boost I'm running the car is still pushing hard after 6000 (that's why I keep hitting red line actually up there is still reving fast)

And in case you want to know, at 127mph the car is just under the redline, so, I've heard you can only hit 128mph, but my gears are shorter so I don't know, I think other car with the same engine can go higher. (my point there was that it won't break if you go over 6000 :p no need to go that fast)

As for parts, like someone mentioned, Almost all "Suspension and handling" parts will fit, just keep in mind that your car is lighter than the Xb/Xa so you won't get what's advertised for the manufacturer.

As long as your echo is a 1.5L, the engine is the same, 1NZFE, Clutch and flywheel are the same, also pulleys are compatible, internals are the same. If you get a turbo for an XB kit may run into some clearence issues since the engine bay for the scions is a bit bigger youll probably have to modify the piping, but it can be done.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

if you open up the exhuast and run a good premium, it doesnt drop off it keeps pulling, ask me how i know, if i use cheap gas my AEM UEGO stops pulling at 12.9, good gas gets 12.5-4, and it keeps pulling. i have a question, our cranks are offset ya know, thats why they like to snap rods under boost, well, does the turbo vits from japan, even though its a 1nzfe, still have that offset? id really like to know!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 1.5 echo /xa / xb /yaris are the 1nz-fe
the 1.3 yaris is the 2nz-fe
the europe / JDM? models come with a turbo 1nz-fte - 150 BHP
the final drive on the echo is different then scion
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

will the 1nz fte fit in our engine bays? im very interested in this, just for the block not really for the kit on it.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderblock
our cranks are offset ya know, thats why they like to snap rods under boost, well, does the turbo vits from japan, even though its a 1nzfe, still have that offset? id really like to know!
Well, I would think so, yes.

Here's the thing, most people believe that the Turbo Vitz RS (I'm talking about the first generation Vitz) was a diferent model, it really wasn't (There's no diferent code for the Vitz Turbo Chassis or for the engine, in fact the sticker under my bonnet just says "1NZFE - With Turbocharger" )

You could buy one new yes, but they just grabbed a regular brand new Vitz RS and drop the TRD Turbo tunning plan/kit in there. Same thing with the exports, for Europe, latin America and whereever else they sold the Vits RS Turbo (Yaris TS Turbo) it was the same turbo kit., They didn't shipped the Vitz Turbo... it was mounted by the dealership on the destination country not by the factory.
So, that was it, just a Vitz RS with a turbo kit, nothing else changed.

The closest you could get to a "factory" Turbo vitz, was the Modellista. Which, was tunned by Modellista in Japan (doh) and had an upgraded suspension, front strut bar, central dual tip exhaust, upgraded sway bars etc (ubber cool car)

Anyway, my point is, it's the same engine, on the Scions, on the Vitz RS, on the Vitz RS Turbo and on your neighbors echo sedan.

"if you open up the exhuast and run a good premium, it doesnt drop off it keeps pulling, ask me how i know, if i use cheap gas my AEM UEGO stops pulling at 12.9, good gas gets 12.5-4, and it keeps pulling. "
Not quite sure I get that O_o in my car it's a plain rev limiter, nothing you change will get it over 6400rpm I'm running catless, 2.5" turbo back, but like I say it's a "different" computer (tunned diferent at least) so that could be the case in other cars.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderblock
will the 1nz fte fit in our engine bays? im very interested in this, just for the block not really for the kit on it.
The 1nz fte does not exist ... so... the block is the same... it will fit
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I stand corrected
the 1nz-fe was converted by TRD and sells as VITS TRD turbo M with a Modellista KIT
http://toyota.jp/customize/vitz/trdturbom/index.html
here is a pic of the engine
Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 AM

Yeap, that's the New Gen Modellista

That 1NZ-FTE is a bit of a Urban(Forums) Legend o_O

This is the Prev Gen Modellista, you can see the Central exahust, Sway bar, and different shocks, and the wheels of course (not sure if those came "stock" with the Modellista) Recaro seats were standar also I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6fz...eature=related
(mine is just like that one on the exterior, same color, but 5 door and with the standar RS wheels and side muffler)

And here's the brochure for the old Turbo Tunning plan:

http://trdparts.jp/turbo-catalog-plan.html

Yes, for the bB and ist too :D

Quick Reply: Scion xA/xB & Toyota Echo, same engine??