Notices

What to run with my supercharged xB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default What to run with my supercharged xB?

I have just bought a 2005 xB that has had a GReddy supercharger installed with an Injen cold air intake and some sort of aftermarket headers and exhaust. I would not have done the mods myself, but I got a great deal on the car. All the mods seem to be done very well and professionally and the car runs great. That being said, I have a few questions being that I am a FI noob.

What weight oil should I run? 5W-30 like Toyota recommends or something else? Oil change interval? Anything else special that I need to do that I might not know about? What octane - is 87 alright or do I need to run 89 or 92?

It is running 5 psi of boost. Ballpark, what kind of HP/Torque should I see over stock. It does pull pretty good compared to my stock 2004.

I appreciate any insight/words of wisdom...thanks much!

Last edited by fatguy; 09-18-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Aother question
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1

u need to run 91 atleast..... also maybe run 1 or 2 stage colder plug
Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

A boosted vehicle should run premium. You don't have to adjust the oil weight, but you should be using a high quality full synthetic oil.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

please do not run 87 in a boosted vehicle so many problems can come of that. premium only.

youre probably looking at about 125whp with 5psi on these engines (correct me if im wrong)

i agree with Ian about the oil and would say depending on how hard you run it is how long you should go between oil changes, run it hard and change your oil every 3000 miles, just kind of put put around town and occasionally get on it, then i would say you should be good to go for the recommended 5000 miles.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by misformartin
u need to run 91 atleast..... also maybe run 1 or 2 stage colder plug
ALL- Thanks for excellent feedback. I have filled up twice and I used 89, but I will go for the premium from now on. Just did the oil change with Pennzoil Platinum. I think from now on I will spring for the Amsoil.

misformartin - I don't understand the 1 or 2 stage colder plug. Could you give me a little more info - not really speaking the FI lingo just yet.

Thanks again for the suggestions, you guys are great!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1

taken from ngk's website

The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

One step colder plugs, synthetic 5W30, 91+ octane gas, and change it every 5,000 miles. For the Greddy supercharger, you'll also need to tighten the small belt in the fall.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

Congrats on ur purchase. How much did u get it for and how many miles on it?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member

$8200 w/ 41k miles...and thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Kreationz
SL Member

Wow! You got a great deal. Congrats on the new ride.