Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

04' 05' xb Ipod Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default 04' 05' xb Ipod Compatibility

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 04' xb. I went to the dealership the other day to see if the 06' ipod compatible radio would work in my 04', but the parts guy said it wouldn't fit. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could make my 04 xb Ipod compatible. I heard that pioneer make a good aftermaket unit, but there are issues with scrolling? I also heard that there is a way to add an aux to your stock pioneer. does anybody know about this? Thanks, great forum!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

uh oh...be nice guys...
Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

uh..oh, wanna those forums ah. I'm too old and don't need the b.s. I just need honest answers to honest questions. Plus I don't wanna end up hating my Scion which I cherish, because it's been tainted with negative unproductive answers. I'll bow out now and get my answers elsewhere. See Ya....
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, it's not "one of those forums" at all. That's why I like it here, I was just playing around. Anyways, in answer to your question:

As far as I know there isn't any way to make the '04 or '05 xB stock radios compatible with an iPod. The only thing you can do is get one of those FM radio adapters which I have but do not highly recommend. It's kind of a last ditch effort.

The other alternative is purchasing another head unit that has aux inputs.

Sorry if I gave you a bad vibe about the forum, but this place is seriously filled with a bunch of cool people.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by towser
uh..oh, wanna those forums ah. ... See Ya....
I'm all about trying to help people out (even if I haven't been around Scions long enough to do that here yet). But on the flipside, Anyone who's spent any amount of time in any forum knows how to use the search box/button to keep from getting flamed for asking a FAQ. Add to that that this place has been around a while, which means pretty much everything has been asked at least once before, and you have a pretty good chance of finding what you want with a search. In this case, just typing in iPod in the search box would have been a good start...

To answer his question directly, though, YES an 06 HU will work/fit in an 04 xB. As will the iPod cable and plug. You just have to run it or cut a hole for it (there's someone here that has a very NICE looking set-up doing just that). Downside? Price. Almost $1k.

To make matters worse, this was just asked YESTERDAY. And still shows on the recent posts list.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry, I didn't think you were joking around. I was part of another forum for Martin guitars(I'm a musician) and ended up leaving because people were putting others down for their lack of knowledge on a subject. The forum started out great but then got really snotty/snobby, jumping on people for the most trivial things. Also, as for the search box, because I'm new to the forum, I was looking towards the bottom of the page. I just realised now that it was at the top towards the left. Just a little background on why I got the Scion XB. My father passed away not too long ago, there have been some personal issues at home and the XB is my only solace. Also even though I'm older it's was my first purchase of a new car. My Scion, my Ipod, My two dogs are my life. They're all very reliable and are there for you when need them. What more could you want out of life.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes It will Fit.
It's Done. my 2004 with 2006 HU with Ipod.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member

It would be nice to write up a guide showing us how to do it ourself^^
Old 08-27-2005, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would it be cheaper to get the Pioneer DEHP decks, or the scion one?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by blueboxerxb
It would be nice to write up a guide showing us how to do it ourself^^
As soon as I find the part number I will post it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get an aftermarket one.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, HERE'S THE DEAL! I just had my dealer put the 06 iPod HU in my 05 xB. The head unit works just like anyother Scion HU, it plugs right up. I have talked to "Toyotaismine" about how he did his install. It CAN BE DONE, but you HAVE TO HAVE AN 06 donor xB for the swap, and you have to get part of the harness out of the 06, and install it in your 05. You can not buy this harness seperate, it only comes in the 06. You do get (2) of the (3) needed cables for the install, but good luck finding an 06 willing to split with their harness. TRUST ME, i have been through all this iPod crap for 2 weeks, and it's not worth it. They ended up installing a "Peripheral" brand digial iPod conntector, that plugs into a spot in the back of the HU where a CD changer would go. That WORKS, but it doesnt display any info on the HU screen. You can control the volume and track skip, but its easier if you just control it from the iPod its self, which totally defeats the purpose of finding and installing the Scion Pioneer iPod HU. Summing it up; do it if you want, but be prepared to be 50% satisfied, unless you have the 06 donor. OR, buy an aftermarket Pioneer/Alpine HU w/ iPod controls.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

I went back to the toyota/scion dealer and he said the 06' head unit would be $500 and I think I have to get the cable to connect to the Ipod itself and that's another $100. Is there anyway to get this harness from parts dept at toyota/scion. How did toyotaisme get one? Is that the harness that will enable you to get the playlist onto the screen?

Oh yeah, also I've heard that the aftermarket pioneers and most other third party compaines only allow for a certain amount of song tiltes and playlists to be displayed. So for instance if you had 4321 songs on your Ipod, it wouldn't be able to list every single song title. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, here's the deal with toyotaismine: He had a guy with a 2006 xB come in and wanted to swap out his iPod HU for toyotaisme's 2004 HU. While they were taking the 06 HU out, the guy who put it in also removed the extra harness piece that was in the 06, not found in the 05. And NO, you can not buy that extra harness piece, there is no part number for it, and it only comes pre-installed in the 06's. I've been through every option and way to try to get this to work. It won't unless you have an 06 donor willing to give up their harness.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

probably the least expensive way to plug your ipod into your 04 stereo without using an fm transmitter is to look online and find the PIE TOY03-Aux adapter, it plugs into the back of your stock head unit, you access it by hitting your cd button twice, the car thinks its an external cd changer... this gives you rca inputs, get the mini jack to rca cable plug it into your ipod and you'll have good sound..... I've seen the adapter for as low as $60.00 and the minijack to rca cable as low as $10.00. Hope this helps, there are several people on the forums that have done this, you can't control your ipod with your deck but its a heck of a lot cheaper than the other available options!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

HERE'S THE PART NUMBER
PT546-21062 I-POD ADA
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

get a pioneer dehp deck and a cheap ipbus -rca adapter about 300.00 and better sound quality and more features than any stock deck could ever have.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 04' 05' xb Ipod Compatibility

Originally Posted by towser
Hi, new to the forum. I have a 04' xb. I went to the dealership the other day to see if the 06' ipod compatible radio would work in my 04', but the parts guy said it wouldn't fit. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could make my 04 xb Ipod compatible. I heard that pioneer make a good aftermaket unit, but there are issues with scrolling? I also heard that there is a way to add an aux to your stock pioneer. does anybody know about this? Thanks, great forum!
You'll find everything you need right here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZguRN6v...r.asp?id=17521
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotaisme
HERE'S THE PART NUMBER
PT546-21062 I-POD ADA
is this the elusive extra harness part thingie that is reputed to only come with an '06?

Quick Reply: 04' 05' xb Ipod Compatibility