Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

'05 6-disc help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default '05 6-disc help needed

Hey Scion people - I am a noob and need some help. :D
I picked up an '05 6 disc unit for my Toyota Tacoma. I seem to be having a problem with the unit though.
I got it hooked up in my Tacoma, but the unit says the cd changer is full and will not accept any cd's. I saw the sticker on the unit about locking it for shipping, and tried all that to no avail. The first time I turned it on, the unit later said 'error code 3'. I searched on this forum and found an old post by a person who hooked up a scion cd unit into a 4Runner with the 'error code 3', but no post was made about the outcome. This is the post: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=cd+error
I am going to try to message that person and see what they came up with. Kinda makes me wonder if the electrical from the Toyota trucks is slightly different than the Scion. Anyway, then I disconnected it, reconnected, powered up, and now just get the 'cd full' message, but no more 'error code 3' coming up.
I may go talk to a dealer and see what they think, though I am 99.9% sure they won't warranty it because its in a Tacoma now, and I had to trim the face with a rotary tool to get a good fit.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated....

PS - The person I got the unit from didn't send any info with it either... can someone tell me how to change the opening text message that says 'Scion' when you power it up???
I have figured out everything else, expect for the cd's obviously

And heres my Taco if you care to see.... http://www.cardomain.com/id/dave89144
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member

OK, well I found out some info on my own......

I went by a dealer and all they could tell me was that it is an anti-theft feature and they had no suggestions on what to do to reset it. Kinda expected that anyway from a dealer....lol
Then I swung by an car audio/electronics store and talked to a more knowledgable person. He wanted to know if the Scion has/had a seperate amplifier that connected to the deck via a DIN cable. He said he has seen that be the problem with other decks in the past. Other than that, he didn't know what else to suggest, since the Scion is still pretty new and they are still learning about them as we are too. I am going to try to contact Pioneer and see how that goes.
I am still getting the 'error 3' code too....
I know many have done this swap into other 'yotas without any issues. Maybe some vehicles set off the anit-theft and others don't. Also, I wonder if some Scion decks, like the single cd unit, or last years model, have something slightly different in the way the anti-theft is activated.

For those on here who plan on selling their units, it might be a ethical idea to let the potential buyer know they might run into this problem and a solution to it is still being worked on...lol
I had no idea this might happen and neither did the seller, so I hold no fault on them whatsoever. I just wish it wasn't me that is finding out about it.
Caveat Emptor!!
Old 09-22-2004, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
KAD

is it just the 05's or is it the 04's that due it too???
Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

:?: Has anyone else had this problem? We just switched out the single disk from a 2005 XA with a six disk changer from a 2004 XB.
I have the same problem as listed above (Error code 3 and changer full). Please Help.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HotXB
:?: Has anyone else had this problem? We just switched out the single disk from a 2005 XA with a six disk changer from a 2004 XB.
I have the same problem as listed above (Error code 3 and changer full). Please Help.
That's strange. I just replaced the '05 single disc in my tC with an '05 6-disc that came from an XB and didn't have any issues. -Jayme
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by HotXB

Please someone has to have had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member

UPDATE!!!
I emailed Pioneer, they said to go thru Scion.... I emailed Scion, they said go see a dealer.... One dealer said they don't know how to reset it and to contact Pioneer.... WTF!!!
I am going to try the other two dealers in town when I get time to drive out there. I emailed one parts dealer from the TTORA boards who suggested I might need a Pioneer wiring harness adapter and that the CD is not getting enough power. I don't think they know what they are talking about, because the stock Tacoma deck has two plugs and the same two go into the Scion deck. I haven't seen any posts by anyone who has done the swap saying they needed any wiring adapters. The third socket on both decks is for the factory cd changer, and the fourth small socket on the Scion deck is for the XM satellite.
I'll keep working on the other dealers here and if you can hit up the ones in your area.... someone has to know how to reset the damn unit. I would assume the more people that do this swap and have this problem, the sooner someone will figure it out. At least I know that removing the faceplate to trim it didn't cause the problem on mine.... I think the decks were disconnected from power too long and thats what the problem is. There was a post on customtacos.com from a guy who works at a body shop and sees this quite frequently with other factory decks with an anti-theft system.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member

I've done some footwork and found some stuff out.

An Error-3 is only listed as a 'DiskDriveError' per Pioneer's manuals but there is no detailed information further than that. I spoke with a senior Pioneer technician who said he could find out what repair was done on the unit if he had a Dealer#, or Customer name and VIN number.

That's where I need some help. Someone who's had this problem and has sent their unit in will need to provide some info so we can have their repair traced to find out what the problem and resolution was for the unit.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i got an 04' 6 disc and my friggin disc #6 is stuck. i can't eject or play it, can play and eject 1-5, just not 6. I get "Error 3" everytime it try to play or eject it. ____ing me off cause it's a good cd.

isn't the dealer supposed to repair it for you? it's under warranty with the car i think.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have typed, deleted and retyped to you post about 3 or 4 times.

My head hurts. :?

So let me get this straight.

You have a radio that is designed for a Scion.
You are NOT putting it in a Scion.
With a power loss it will want a radio code.
You do not have the radio code.
Before trying to get the radio code you go with hooking it up to power.
But you go beyond that ....
YOU MODIFY THE D@MN RADIO to fit into your dash with out making sure everything is a go.
You perhaps burn out something because you do not have instructions.
You want someone to tell you what is wrong.

Look as far I know you stole the thing out of somebodies xB.
But here is the help I can give you.
Get paperwork showing when it was purchased.
Whether it was with the Scion at purchase or as a part added. It would still have 1 year factory part warranty. Maybe then a dealer parts dept will take pity on you and get it sent in to be fixed. But I doubt it.

It sounds like it is fried.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member

Wow - Sorry for giving you a headache, so let me get it straighter for you since you couldn't.... :razz:

First off, this swap has been done sucessfully. This is where I got hooked on doing it....
http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacom...?msg=105973.25

#2 - I paid for it on eBay.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Yea maybe I should have waited to take the dremel to it, but its just some plastic on the faceplate. I wouldn't have returned it or asked to send it back anyway, nor would I have tried to pass it on to someone else. AFAIK, It seems this issue only happens with the 6 disc unit, not the single cd unit. I was lucky enough to be one of the first to find out about it. Oh well... I took the chance... you win some, you lose some.

#3 - If you read the previous posts, you would have been able to infer that, according to a senior Pioneer tech, there is no code for the radio and this problem is unknown. If there was simply a code to be entered, it would have been posted by now. It might be a good thing to find out why this happens in case you ever disconnect your battery for any given time to do some mods and the same issue occurs when power is reconnected. This problem has also happened when swapping into another Scion also.....

#4 - Nothing is fried, radio works and sounds great... You can hear the little motors run when you hit the eject button, but obviously nothing is in it.

Thanks for your.... um... help.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member

Update on this? Seems like more and more of these untis are crapping out on people. Way to go Pioneer!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

The 6 disk unit I was trying to swap out may have been droped. I don't know any details of how. It happened before I got it. The storie behind mine was a guy I met at a Scion meet had changed out the unit in his Lava. It was just sitting on a shelf. I agreed on swapping out our stock XA radio for his changer. We could not get the unit to work. The guy was very nice and we swapped back radios.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member

I think you're right about the delicate manners of these units; the unit we have was shipped with out the cd trays being locked like they are supposed to be and I have a feeling that is where the damage was caused. I have no reason to believe that the unit I received as bad when it was sold. It did, however travel from Texas to California and although it was packed really well by the seller, the unlocked trays probably suffered some heavy jarring during the trip.

Anyone selling a 6-Disk unit should be aware that there are instructions on the top of the unit on how to lock the trays if the unit is being removed without CDs in each tray. This is to avoid this type of damage.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member

Just thought I'd revive this thread since I got a dead 6cd changer that the seller won't take back. Is there a resolution to this problem or do I have an expensive paper weight?

-Bobby
Old 11-17-2004, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member

I never did get my 6 disc unit to work
Munssey has the same problem as I and the last I heard was that Pioneer offered to fix the unit for him for $170.
I decided to go with a single disc unit (T-1804) instead and it works perfectly. Does everything the 6 disc unit does except the color changing display. Got it brand new, never installed, for $100 from a memeber on here. They go for the same on eBay..
As far as the unit being 'locked' for shipping, I am pretty sure the display should stay 'ship' on it when powered up if it has been locked correctly. There is a sticker on top of the unit with instructions for locking the unit, and I would assume it also works for unlocking the unit.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member

Yep, and expensive paper weight is about where you're at with abroken 6-Disk. The only way that I found around this (Because I am not going to pay $170 to get it repaired by Pioneer OEM) is to find someone with a Scion that has a 6-disk changer and offer them up some cash to swap with you (locking their unit before removing it so not to cause the same damage again) and then letting them take theirs in for warranty work.

I've got enough starving students around here with Scions that it wont really be an issue.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member

With that being said.... i wish I had a Scion so I could charge idiots like us fifty bucks each to swap out the head units for warranty work =)
Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone, ever figure anything out?

I just bought a 6 cd changer off of ebay, and am now afraid that I will run into this same problem! :?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry to say, nope. Find someone with a Scion that has a 6-Disk changer in it and slide them $50 to swap out units and then send their car in for a quick warranty replacement from the dealer. They get a brand new radio, free of charge, and some cash to go buy more CDs. :D

That's the only way I've found to get it taken care of.

I'm sure there are plenty of willing doners on the board... just find someone who's trustworthy.

Good luck~

Quick Reply: '05 6-disc help needed