Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

05 xb stereo setup noob please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member

Default 05 xb stereo setup noob please help!

Hey guys, recently aquired this 05 xb and wanted to upgrade the stereo a little . I wanted to replace all speakers and put a small amp with a headunit. I already had polk db6501 components 6 1/2 for the front and 6 1/2 coaxial phoenix gold ryval in the rear with a pioneer small 150w 2channel amp. The headunit is what I don't have . I was debating alpine cde-123 vs pioneer 8300ub or pioneer 7200hd . Which should I choose? What brand
Double din plastic trim piece should I buy to fit single din head units? What gauge speaker wire and how much do I need for the whole install? 16 or 14 gauge ? Where is the cheapest place I can get good wiring and what exact one? Where can I buy mdf speaker spacers for front and rear 6 1/2 speakers?

Thank you ,
Sorry for all the questions .

-steven
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 05xbman
Hey guys, recently aquired this 05 xb and wanted to upgrade the stereo a little . I wanted to replace all speakers and put a small amp with a headunit. I already had polk db6501 components 6 1/2 for the front and 6 1/2 coaxial phoenix gold ryval in the rear with a pioneer small 150w 2channel amp. The headunit is what I don't have . I was debating alpine cde-123 vs pioneer 8300ub or pioneer 7200hd . Which should I choose? What brand
Double din plastic trim piece should I buy to fit single din head units? What gauge speaker wire and how much do I need for the whole install? 16 or 14 gauge ? Where is the cheapest place I can get good wiring and what exact one? Where can I buy mdf speaker spacers for front and rear 6 1/2 speakers?

Thank you ,
Sorry for all the questions .

-steven
1.The Crutchfield.com site is very usefull at times for certain information. They have a Learn topic with good info + also get a idea of what fits in your car. I read their customer reviews on product. Once i find what i need I use their pricing info to compare with other sites + don't always buy from them LOL
2. u can use 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire + may need to buy female connectors for the gauge wire that u use. You may find these at a Auto parts store in the electrical section.
3. You will need to do a search for the cheapest wire or buy at crutchfield or at a local RADIO SHACK/Walmart auto stereo section you can always run back + buy more if needed.
4. U did not mention an upgrade for the dash speakers. you can upgrade to a larger size + also I would put in BASS BLOCKERS (see crutchfield or other sites to buy) in them, for they are a small speaker will distort to try to handle the bass signal with loud music.
5. MDF speaker spacers u may find on e-bay. They did sell them at one time for our Scion xB or cut your own with a portable hand Jigsaw. I have 6 1/2 in my rear and did not need the spacers with my Soundstream speakers.

Let us know how things turn out. Good Luck
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Hey thanks for the info. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also if I keep the amp in the storage next to the spare tire, should I run the wiring on the side by the doors?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

also try audiosavings.com for great prices. i got 24 ft of 4ga wire for only $12! plus they have daily deals that cut prices in half. do a google search and see what others are saying about the head units and decide from that.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey thanks for the info. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also if I keep the amp in the storage next to the spare tire, should I run the wiring on the side by the doors?
1. I personally, would not put an amp in the closed xB storage trunk. An amp can get overheated without proper ventilation. I have a small inexpensive 4 channel amp screwed in under the passenger seat, hooked up to the stereo head unit with RCA stereo cables for the 6 speakers in our xB.

2. If your using only a 2 channel amp VS a 4 channel for your head unit. Look up the advantages + disadvantages.

3. Yes, by all means hide your wires by the door side.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member

thank you for your input. im still debating on the headunits, i like the alpine cde-123 features and appearance over the pioneer hu. where can i get the plastic trim piece to fit a single din in a double din slot? So, instead of the rear compartment ill just put the amp under the passenger seat. What material should the wiring be? im either using 14 or 16 gauge wiring for the speakers, can i use that for the amp as well or go larger for that one? I did install a headunit and speakers with 14 gauge wiring before in my previous car but never did it with an amp. so im a bit nervous and confused on that part.

so id need:

-double din plastic trim kit
-wiring harness for the HU
-HU
-Speaker adapters (i been trying to find the mdf ones)

keep the help coming guys!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

hey guys,

ive been on the hunt for Speaker MDF Spacers.. Only found one option for the fronts to fit 6 1/2 , which were eD for $30 bucks.. any cheaper option?? i tried ebay but found nothing . the 2 channel amp i have is the Pioneer GM-3400T . its very small and not much power. Can someone give me advice on what i should do? Amp all four speakers with the 2 channel amp or just amp the components up front and leave the rears for the Headunit? Ive been reading up on the rear speakers and found out that the opening is 4" by 5". How did JIMXB, fit 6 1/2 speakers in the back? DO YOU HAVE TO CUT THE METAL TO FIT THIS SIZE? i dont want to cut the body up to fit a pair of speakers.. any info , please help!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thank you for your input. im still debating on the headunits, i like the alpine cde-123 features and appearance over the pioneer hu. where can i get the plastic trim piece to fit a single din in a double din slot? So, instead of the rear compartment ill just put the amp under the passenger seat. What material should the wiring be? im either using 14 or 16 gauge wiring for the speakers, can i use that for the amp as well or go larger for that one? I did install a headunit and speakers with 14 gauge wiring before in my previous car but never did it with an amp. so im a bit nervous and confused on that part.

so id need:

-double din plastic trim kit
-wiring harness for the HU
-HU
-Speaker adapters (i been trying to find the mdf ones)

keep the help coming guys!
1. If i had any technical questions that i could not find an answer for, I would make believe I was interested in purchasing an item, like a particular headunit or amp etc. Then call + talk to a Crutchfield tech to get the answer. LOL
Also, like i said their site has a lot info. Example: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...ionGuides.aspx

2. Do search on Crutchfield enter your Xb as if you wanted to purchase stuff. The plastic trim kit to go along with the headunit they have for some cars. They have the trim aka Mounting Kit for an xB, see if this is what u need. You can always call them + ask. They also have the wiring harness in case u can't find elsewhere.
http://www.crutchfield.com/m_750/Car...n.html?tp=1385

3. 16g or 14g wire is safe for any speaker with or without an amp. From the amp to the HU you usually use RCA cables.

4. I was lucky that my 6 1/2" speakers fit in the rear sheet metal speaker hole with the speaker cover screwed over/on top the xB plastic rear speaker grill car liner. You will need to cut out the original xB rear plastic grill with a Dremel + make a hole only for the magnet to go thru. Did u ever try to see if your speakers fit in the rear sheet metal speaker hole? If they do, this method may work for you instead of using MDF spacers.

5. Again, as far as hooking up your amp to your HU, you will find this info online for the best method + pros/cons to use 2 channel or 4 channel.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress

Last edited by JIMXB; 10-03-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hey guys,

ive been on the hunt for Speaker MDF Spacers.. Only found one option for the fronts to fit 6 1/2 , which were eD for $30 bucks.. any cheaper option?? i tried ebay but found nothing . the 2 channel amp i have is the Pioneer GM-3400T . its very small and not much power. Can someone give me advice on what i should do? Amp all four speakers with the 2 channel amp or just amp the components up front and leave the rears for the Headunit? Ive been reading up on the rear speakers and found out that the opening is 4" by 5". How did JIMXB, fit 6 1/2 speakers in the back? DO YOU HAVE TO CUT THE METAL TO FIT THIS SIZE? i dont want to cut the body up to fit a pair of speakers.. any info , please help!
Speaker spacers sample site:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...ion-rings.html

http://www.eliteinstallersupply.com/...roducts_id=185
Just be careful when buying, double check your speaker basket size, for some may or may not fit thru the 6 1/2" adapter ring.

Try E-bay + google search "Speaker Ring"

Last edited by JIMXB; 10-03-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spell
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

hey jim,

thanks for your help .. really. I called crutchfield and got some good advice. I am just going to get the polk db651 6 1/2 speakers for the rear because it seems like the pheonix gold brand is crappy. and crutchfield says it fits in the rear with an adapter. I think i will just cut out the old speakers and use them as spacers for front and rear. i didnt want to do that but seems like the better option.. I had read mixed reviews for the double din trim kit for the Headunit. Crutchfield uses american international brand i think but the reviews says its crappy. Which is the best HU trim kit for single din HU? Scoche or Metra?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Which is the best HU trim kit for single din HU? Scoche or Metra?[/quote]

I would think that since that part is specific for a xB, it would fit in the hole + you could buy any brand. All ya do need to do is insert the part + just screw in + then insert your headunit. Done.

Just like when you need to buy a aftermarket head unit, you need to buy the correct chasis size to fit in the hole of a Scion xB + you would have no problem at all.

There is another blog site Clubxb.com which has useful info about our cars

At one time during 2005-2009, alot of Scion xB owners were on Scionlife + other Scion club sites. But, now alot of people are out of Scion scene + don't blog or visit as much as in the past. They are only a few dinosaurs like me around to help presently. LOL
PS where u from? U should update the site info
Good luck