Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

06 iPod problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default 06 iPod problems

Hello,

I finally got my tC with the iPod head unit, but the iPod connector doesn't work! I have a 15GB iPod that I bought in Feb of 2004 (the one with four buttons and the wheel)

I upgraded the software on my iPod to v 2.3, restarted the iPod, wiggled the little cable in my armrest.. nothing :^(

Has anyone had a problem with their new iPod HUs and/or have any tips for troubleshooting? If you have one and it works, what type of iPod do you have?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm there is a chance the problem is ur ipod is a little too old to be compatible.. I forget what version is, but there is a chance urs isnt..
Old 06-30-2005, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member

I do know that different versions of the iPod have different communication protocols, and presumably the new '06 HU only works with the latest iPod iteration, which I think is referred to as the "click wheel".

I'm curious if any of the auto iPod interfaces have figured a way to do a simple "next folder" function. That's one thing I'm dissapointed with on my Alpine/iPod, all you really get is "next track", otherwise you have to pull off the road to press a dozen buttons and search for an artist/album/playlist.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member

I have the exact same ipod and just recently bought my 06 tc. It works great, if you ask me it is the coolest thing on Earth. Is your tC a 06?[/i]
Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member

I have a 3rd Gen ipod (non-click wheel) 15GB with the ipod integration in my 06' TC. When the dealer originally installed the radio, they installed it wrong and it did not work. Forgot to connect a wire or something. I took it back and they fixed it and now it works perfectly. Just make sure you have your software updated to vers. 2.3 and take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Also, the dealer mentioned that if you sync your ipod with more than one computer it will not work but I don't know if I believe that. Hope this helps........
Old 07-08-2005, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default ipod probs?

i'm having the same problem as Faille, except that I have the newest ipod (the 4G?). anyway, i was wondering if i had to pay the extra $260 to get the ipod to work. because i thought the $260 upgrade was for it to synchronize with the radio screen.

anyway, i hooked up my ipod to the port and i get nothing. it's as if i didn't even plug anything in. the radio still works though.

any thoughts or suggestions as to what's up??

thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 06 tC with the iPod stereo, and mine didn't work initially either.

I got my tC from moriarty, and while I was there to pick it up, he did some research, then went into the console and fixed it himself, while I waited. Now that guy rocks. Apparently, there was some wire that wasn't connected.

modifry, from the upgraded tC stereo, you can navigate to the playlists, artists, etc, by scrolling to the next one once you get to the right category, but there's no automatic next folder from the song-display screen. To get to any arbitrary artist, you have 1 click to call up the menu, scroll (via jog dial) to Artist, push the dial/button to select, scroll to the artist you want, push to select, scroll to the song you want, then push to start that song. Er...so four clicks/pushes...at least it's a tad better than a dozen.

mayzee85, I thought the $260 upgrade not only allowed you to control the iPod and view it from the dash/steering wheel controls, but also to even have an iPod connector in your center console. Soooo...I'm guessing that if you don't have the iPod stereo, you don't actually have an iPod connector in your center console that plugs into the dock connector of your iPod. If that's the case, then when you say "i hooked up my ipod to the port", you're talking about the AUX port in the console, right? I haven't tried that port yet, but from your iPod, I'd assume what you have to do is use a male to male connector from your headphone out to the AUX port, then set your stereo to the AUX channel/input. After that, I'm pretty sure you just play and control the iPod from the iPod controls.

The upgraded stereo allows you to control the main iPod functions from the steering wheel controls, while the folder navigation options are done via the dash.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ipod probs?

Originally Posted by mayzee85
i'm having the same problem as Faille, except that I have the newest ipod (the 4G?). anyway, i was wondering if i had to pay the extra $260 to get the ipod to work. because i thought the $260 upgrade was for it to synchronize with the radio screen.

anyway, i hooked up my ipod to the port and i get nothing. it's as if i didn't even plug anything in. the radio still works though.

any thoughts or suggestions as to what's up??

thanks.
First of all, every 06 has the port in the center console and is wired for the iPod. If you didn't pay the $260 then you didn't get the HU that controls the iPod when connected to the port on the driver's side (the one that connects on the dock connector of your iPod). Are you using the one that plugs into the headphone jack? If you are (that's the Aux port) then you won't be able to control your iPod from your radio nor will you get the display of track/title/song etc. You will have to control it with the iPod itself.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the same problem with a click-wheel iPod. I connect it to the car (via the special iPod cable) and I get nothing, as if nothing has been connected. Any things I can try doing myself save for taking it to the dealer?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure thaty our IPOD has the latest software available for it. You can get this by going to apple.com and downloading the IPOD update. If that doesn't work then I would bring it back to the dealer.

Also if your friend has an IPOD that is updated with the latest software try their ipod in your car. That might rule out if it is the car or your ipod.

My sales guy installed my radio for me and it works great with the 3G ipod unit (15gb no click wheel)