Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

06 xB Stereo Wiring: Help Identify unused harnesses (pics)

Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default 06 xB Stereo Wiring: Help Identify unused harnesses (pics)

I was just hooking up a line level converter to my 06 xB's stereo head unit, and decided to take some pictures with the hope that someone can shed a little light on which connectors are which. I'd be glad to update this thread with definitive pics of the head units with pins/wires labelled when I can get authoritative answers on which wires are which.

My aim here is to document a good, easy way to install an amp/subwoofer using the stock head unit, and hopefully shed a little light on the stereo connectors for the 'common good'.

I found a 'hidden' connector on the 06 xB. It was wrapped in this foam stuff:

So I unwrapped the foam from around the 'unused' connector(below). Anyone know what it is?It looks like maybe it's an extra harness? Do you think it would be better to tap into this to splice in line level converters, etc?

Here's a closeup of the comparison between one of the 'connected' harnesses and the 'unused' harness(below).

On a related note: anyone know what this extra connector is(below)? I found it when I popped off the lower portion of the console (the cubby / cigarette lighter portion) it was tucked down next to the rest of the wiring, but was unused. Is it an optional power source? It just has normal spades(female) in it's harness.
Update: after some online searching, I can confirm that this connector is, in fact the fog lamp connector which is pre-wired.

It would be great to gain some insight into these harnesses so that we might be able to take advantage of them.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No response? This seems like a very interesting topic!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

some these I think (don't flame me) might be for the scion alarm system???
Old 12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default A couple of theories

I was looking at them more closely, and I have a couple of ideas.

It could be that scion is just putting a standard wiring bundle into all it's models, and that the extra harness is for a different model.

I'm guessing that the small connector that I found down by the cig. lighter goes to a switch for some option, but I'm not sure which one. At first I was excited because I thought it might be some kind of preamp out, but there's only 2 wires, so it's got to be some kind of power or switch wiring. As you can see in the photo, there's a black/whit stripe wire and a green/brown-stripe wire.

Any insight? I'd love to map out these and any others so that we might be able to expand possibilities for modding.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing my teardown and taking lots of pictures.

You can see more pics here:
http://www.ehomerate.com/gallery/v/scion/
Old 12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It might be a fog light power switch because the fog lights come prewired, and then thats where the switch would go.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member

You're right, SmokingTires.

This is the fog light switch. I found a pdf last night that confirmed this.

But I'm still wondering what the unused, foam-wrapped connector on the stereo harness was all about.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Two items that are offered for the 06 xB may account for the unused connectors.
1. The subwoofer in the rear
2. The iPod dock in the center console. (my understanding from the dealer is that the wiring harness is already in place for the iPod connection between the dash and the console)

Not sure, just suggestions...

Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It would require a diffrent radio to support the ipod control is the only thing but that totally makes sense and the sub out does as well. Now all we need to do is figure out which is power, remote/on switch, and signal wires for the subs!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the grey wire in the blue plug is a switch 12v accessory wire you can use for the remote turn on.

In the smaller white plug there are 5 wires. 4 of them are you rear speakers. The other is a negative dimmer wire.
here is a pic of a standard toyota adapter harness.

The smaller plug is your rear speakers.

LR Speaker +/- black - yellow
RR Speaker +/- red - white
Youre welcome.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
the grey wire in the blue plug is a switch 12v accessory wire you can use for the remote turn on.

In the smaller white plug there are 5 wires. 4 of them are you rear speakers. The other is a negative dimmer wire.
here is a pic of a standard toyota adapter harness.

The smaller plug is your rear speakers.

LR Speaker +/- black - yellow
RR Speaker +/- red - white
Youre welcome.
Maybe I missed something here...the rear speakers were working with the questioned connector unplugged. If the photo shown is correct and the smaller white plug is the rear speakers then the color code below the photo is wrong. The black - yellow and red - white wires are in the larger of the two white plugs. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe for a CD changer?

/no clue
//never opened the console
Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

To clarify, there were 3 plugs plugged in to the stoke HU of my 06 xB. Two of them were the standard Toyota stereo plugs that would fit the harnesses that BrianxB posted. The other one I don't know about, and the fourth plug, which was unplugged and foam-taped to the wire bundle, I have no clue about. It looks similar to the one that was plugged in, but I just don't know what it does.

I too have a hunch that it my be for the IPOD compatible stereo. My guess is that the 2 'longer' plugs have to do with the 06 model's accessory jack and/or ipod. And possibly have to do with the optional bazooka sub.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member

there are a lot of us in need of an 06 harness to make our ipod compatible stereos work in our pre-06 vehicles ... trying to make these ourselves is #$*@#$ frustrating!

if you ever part your car, you could get good $$ selling that harness to someone with a pre-06 vehicle!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I believe that it is for the Ipod Connector. I have an 06 with the Ipod and aux in and did not see that extra wire taped to the harness I believe that it was plugged in....the only thing that I found was an empty spot on my headunit that I think is for the satellite tuner.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So with the new h/u just plug that in and you got ipod control :-)
Old 12-31-2005, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 06 BSP XB, I purchased the Upgraded HU for my ipod, and that plug wraped in foam plugs into the back of the new HU, there is also another hidden plug in the center consul to ad the new plug above the AUX plug for the IPOD.

Erik
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only other thing that you would need after enabling your HU for Ipod control is the "Customer Ipod Cable" that plugs into the wire above the Aux input on the center console.

Ipod Control Cable Plugged in
Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member

Default aux input...which pin?

Did you ever get which wires and pin connectors were for the aux input in the console? I would like to access this to add another input location.
thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a throw out but one of my 06 xbs has the steering wheel radio conrols, one doesnt. both are 06. maybe its for that.... i dunno, just a thought
Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could that plug be for the factory satelite radio connection. Maybe, who knows....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 xB Stereo Wiring: Help Identify unused harnesses (pics)