Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2 subs i amp no thump new head unit new problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2 subs i amp no thump new head unit new problem

New issue below

So i finally saved up enough money to get 2 subs and an amp the subs are Kenwood KFC-W3010 and the amp is a KAC-7202. The two subs sit in a Q-Logic 12" Dual-Chamber Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure. I decided not to mess anything up and have Best buy do the install for me.

The technician told me that because there is no RCA out on the stock headunit he would have to use the signal from the speakers and run 4 lines to the speaker in.

The sound that comes from the subs stink its not clean.

is it because of the head unit I tried to use the SSP but turning it from Hear to Feel only makes it worse. I have a pioneer Headunit with RCA out in my jeep that i am going to try tonight but any suggestions would help.

I am looking for a tight clean bass like the surround sound systems they have in movie theatres.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To start, turn the SSP off and recheck the gain setting on the amp. Stock HU output is high power, maybe overloading the amp input. Be sure any bass boost junk on the amp is off.

Sound not clean... is it boomy? distorted? sloppy? overbearing? Explain further.

Sealed box is a good choice. Maybe need a LOC and go into RCA inputs on the amp instead.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those idiots should have used a high quality hi/lo signal level adaptor like a SNI-35 instead of using the amps crappy input. Im not there to here it, but Id also try to maybe switch the leads on one of the subs and see if it sounds better, maybe one is backwards
Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) never let best buy / circut city touch ANYTHING in your car, EVER!!!! go to a GOOD audio shop and have them look into it... they'll probably want you to buy a Line Output Converter which should solve your problem..
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
1) never let best buy / circut city touch ANYTHING in your car, EVER!!!! go to a GOOD audio shop and have them look into it... they'll probably want you to buy a Line Output Converter which should solve your problem..
dude I take offense to that. Ive worked at both and you do have good and bad there, you just need to talk to your installer and get comfy with him or her. Both places have 1st class and master installers that have been installing for 5-10 maybe 15 years+, but the majority are 1st timers that dont know a relay from a butt connector. Im on about 5 other sites all the time and I know most of the guys I help would trust me with their rides and with my advice whole heartedly and I just left BB after 2 1/2 years there.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Forklift
but the majority are 1st timers that dont know a relay from a butt connector.
You said the key words right there. I never recommend anyone to CC or BB for just that reason. I'm not saying they are all bad but I've seen and heard of enough bad that I'm not staking my reputation on them.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ exactly.... alot of people either a) don't have time to "get comfy" with their installer or b) are to shy to do so... a CONSTANTLY reputable audio shop will always do a good job no matter if they're installing a $100 HU or a $4k complete setup...

some may be great at doing installations, but I'd not ever risk it... have heard way too many shady things from workers of BB or CC.... Here's a good example from another thread...

Originally Posted by lilman4210
Originally Posted by reign
Get one of the ones with the cig lighter adapter and cut it off. Just need to run a power wire from a 12V and you're good.
You dont want to do this because there is a fuse inside the cig. lighter. Another option is to leave on the cig lighter plug and use speaker wire to make it hard wireable. (I think I made up that word) All you need to do is take the positive end of the speaker wire and stuff it down the end of the cig lighter (nipple) and take the negative speaker wire and put it on the side bars of the cig lighter. Then secure it all with electric tape and you can wire the other end into a 12v source. It should look like a dog terd when you get done with it. We use this method at Best Buy which is where I work when we hard wire a SAT radios.
sorry, I don't want any dog turd's flopping around in my car...
Old 05-27-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Yo, thats "dog TERD" homie!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been out of hifi forever now - but I'm trying to remember some fact - something about wanting a lo power head unit... let the amp do the amping...

You need one of those line out converter jobs methink.

http://www.installer.com/hilo/

- Saylor
Old 05-27-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ a line output converter.... yeah.... something that's adjustable.... the amplifier has hi level inputs which is what they used.... LOC would be better
Old 05-27-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

***Important Info*** Use PAC line level....SNI-35 like someone stated above..don't go buy a cheap one you'll be back in the same boat
Old 05-27-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or David Navone:
http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm

Yup, be sure its adjustable-gives you more options!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by tanakasan
Or David Navone:
http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm

Yup, be sure its adjustable-gives you more options!
agreed....
Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i called CC and they have the line out converter i am going to pick it up and try to put it in tommorow thanks for the advice i hope it works.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to drag out an old post but i did go to circuit city only to find out that they didnt have it in stock. so i pulled a pioneer headunit out of my old cj7 and installed that into the xb. This headunit has an RCA out on the back so i ran that cable and disconnected the wire coming from the speaker the subs still dont make any sound. Do i need a line out converter for the new headunit too?

And i read the other posts on the forum about no reception with aftermarket headunits. I tried to run the power antenna line but where do i hook it too there is no spare wires on the harness?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 HU's same problem...

Check your RCA cable. Substitute another known good one to try. Just run it from point A to point B-don't install it!

Amp-could be wiring problem-check connections for power (12v/ground) then output=wiring going to subs.

Last chance? Maybe sub(s) or amp are gone? Try substitute a known good speaker to check for output.

Oh, the Pio HU is good, right? Gotta ask!

Antenna prob is later. No sound, no need for the antenna.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The amp not working and FM reception problems shouldn't be related if everything's connected properly. If you don't have any free wires and everything on the harness has been connected the FM amplifier should be connected.

What do you have the remote turn on for the amp connected to? Does the amps power light come on when you turn the system/head unit on?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1.)
When i run the wires Best buy spliced off the rear speakers to the amp it works fine in with the new head unit. But it looks really bad with wires runing from both sides of the trunk to the amp.

Now that i have the new head unit with RCA out i want to switch the Rca with the Ghetto best buy job so i have one wire running from the headunit (probabaly a cleaner sound too).

I have already run the RCA cord from the back of the new pioneer head unit to the amp. From this i got no sound whatsoever. I looked at the the instructions carefully (as i should have before) and the wiring diagram shows a ground wire that needs to be connected with the Rca Cable where does the ground come from?

2)
When installing the new headunit i didnt have a wire to connect to the Power antenna that provides power to the antenna where does this come from? I no FM or AM reception unless i am right next to the source. How Should i hook this up?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

XB_BOB,

When I installed a powered sub in my car, I had used the speaker level inputs.. with those the amp turned itself on when it sensed input to the speaker wires.

Most amps don't do this when using RCA's which basically means you need to run a remote turn on wire to the amp, most aftermarket headunits have a connection on it for this..

Larry
Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member

like they said above i have a celica gts and i dont have rca inputs in the back so i wired speaker wire into the rear speakers and ran the wires into a convertor which allows you to plug in your rca's. i ran the remote the the fuse panel in the car with a toggle switch to turn my amp on and off when i choose. mine sounds awesome and they are incredibly loud, but i barely turn the amp up cause i don't need them blowing my ear drums out ha ha!! You might also want to look at your subs, i am not a big fan of kenwood!! with most everything you get what you pay for! But hopefully this will help you!!

Quick Reply: 2 subs i amp no thump new head unit new problem