Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2004 xB Reverse Camera installation..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2004 xB Reverse Camera installation..

I am looking for a piece to cover the hole on the hatch where the wiper arm used to be.

I did a lot of searching for a DIY post for installing a back up camera on an XB1 but only found old threads with expired photo links, so I was hoping those who have done this mod can maybe help me out.

I purchased a JVC KW-AVX748 headunit from Amazon for about $320 shipped. It supports a back up camera, which wasn't a high priority for me, however when I saw how cheap some cameras were, I went ahead and bought one of amazon for about $15, which I am going to further weatherproof before installing to prevent moisture from entering the lens. (
Amazon Amazon
)

So I had read about people removing their wiper arm and using that hole for a good location.

Initially I had hoped to mount the camera under the third brake light inside the car, to prevent moisture and thieves, however I was not able to see out of my dark tint. I checked right above the license plate, below the hatch handle, and that seemed like a good location being under the hatch to protect it from rain drops, but was sorta low to get a good picture of behind the car.

So I went with the wiper arm hole, which I broke the retainer clips on the inside of the hatch to get that board off, exposing the wiper motor. Unfortunately I will need to purchase more of those or some clips to reattach that board (which i posted a different post). I also destroyed the rubber grommet piece that seals the wiper blade trying to modify it to allow my camera to stick through it.

Well I got the wiper arm off, but the camera didnt stick out enough to get the view that I wanted, so I am going use the spot under the hatch handle.

I was hoping anyone could point me in the direction of their clean installation, as well as access to the retainer clips, and also another piece that I can use to seal that hole from the wiper arm.

Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-02-2021 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this what you want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-SCION-...88b592&vxp=mtr
Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

mine fit well in the wiper hole....I was able to get a perfect straight shot.. what is stopping you? You could use a type of trim ring or washer or grommet and save the headaches
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for that link to the eBay page, I honestly didn't even think to check there for that. Thanks for that info!

Basically, what is stopping me from using that camera hole is that I do not have a rubber seal to finish off the clean job.

I am not sure if I should take the camera to Home Depot and start looking for rubber grommets that may fit that hole or what. I am a little reluctant to start drilling away at that hole, however that is also another option.
First I must find the appropriate grommet, and the one that I cut up that was for the wiper ended up not working (stupid me for cutting up an expensive OEM part that I'd need to replace if I hadn't just saw that eBay listing).

I was hoping anyone with this install would be able to clarify what they used.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-02-2021 at 08:01 PM.