Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

800 watts is 800 watts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default 800 watts is 800 watts?

Ok, here is the question? installing a new system in my new xb. Here is the question. My sub is a duel voice coil, each 2 ohms. Running a mono amp, the sub can be wired for 1 ohm or 4 ohm. The amp I selected is capable of 800 watts rms into 4 ohms. Any difference in running 800 watts @ 4 ohms that running 800 watts @ 1ohm. My thinking is that the 4 ohms would be better? Amp running cooler not as stressed as running 1 ohm.

Its a newb question, but 800 watts is 800 watts right. whether its a 1 ohm, 2 ohms or 4 ohms. If you sit in the similar cars one running 1 ohm load @ 800 watts (same setup otherwise) it should be similar to the guy running 800 watts @ 4 ohms?

Just want to make sure I am not over analyzing anything.

Thanks all.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your amp can handle a 1 ohm load I would wire the 2 DVC subs so your amp is 1 ohm mono load, that way you will get the most out of the amp and subs.

John
Old 12-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea. i have the same setup as you almost in terms of wiring.

run it at 1 ohm and youll get the full potential out of the amp (probably more than 800 rms since thats what it is at 4 ohms) and the sub will be working at its best also.

scott
Old 12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What amp do you have?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member

Not going with anything really over the top. At this point have only picked up the sub. Its a Audiobahn AWP312T. Shallow mounting depth was appealing. Was going to stay branded and get the a8002t to power it. It is also made by audiobahn. But I am not locked into it at this time.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the sub should be wired to 4 ohms. bridge the amp amd you will get the most potential out of it. that amp is kind of big, i hope you have a capacitor for it or you will see your lights blink with the bass. 1 farad will do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you talkin about x2?

if he gets a mono amp so hes not going to be bridging anything! he will want to get it at 1 ohm so the least resistance is achieved and it will get the most power out of the amp, to the sub.

in no way will he need to have a capacitor either. im running NO capacitor on 1000 RMS at 1.3 ohms to a 15" Resonant Engineering HC wired at one ohm. I can hit the lowest of the lowest at insanely loud levels and not dim. a capacitor would be a waste of money and time wiring it up.

scott
Old 12-23-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This gets much easier now!!! :D

I looked up that amp and it only shows it to only be stable at 4ohm mono. You will want to hookup your dual 2ohm sub in series to present the amp with a 4ohm load. This will safely give you your 800 watts, if you hookup that sub to it with a 1ohm load it could/would fry.

Thats a nice looking amp..........
Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so you are saying the audiobahn a8002t is a mono amp? no way, the audiobahn a8000t is a mono amp not the a8002t. you can check the audiobahn web site if you want to and the company i work for sells audiobahn also.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
what are you talkin about x2?

if he gets a mono amp so hes not goingto be bridging anything! he will want to get it at 1 ohm so the least resistance is achieved and it will get the most power out of the amp, to the sub.

scott
It's a stereo amp with bridged mono capability............
Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going off his first post and saying he should GET a mono amp and not the audiobahn. yes the audiobahn is not, i understand that. he would be better getting an amp that is 1 ohm stable and is mono vs. having to deal with bridging a two channel that is only 4 ohm stable. you're not going to get the most out of your sub that way.

get an amp that fits the sub instead of having to bridge and do that crap. audiobahn is not a top name, ill just put it that way. i would look around and find something else even if its not the same brand. get a mono amp that is 1 ohm stable!

scott
Old 12-23-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

some people........
Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is nothing wrong with the amp he is looking at.................after all 800watts IS 800watts, JL Audio, Zapco, Audiobahn or Jensen, whether it is from an amp running at 1ohm or 4ohm, as long as the amplifier is designed that way(and its output numbers are accurate-Ha Ha ). It would definately match his sub as well as any 1ohm stable amp. There's really nothing wrong with bridging that amp either and if he should decide later on to use it for some higher frequencies then he's not stuck with a sub amp only.

Audiobahn may not be your top choice but there's definately nothing wrong with it. Properly and safely hooked up it will last years, it just might not be one of the more "popular" brands out there.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe im just not a fan of audiobahn, but i would keep looking around. theyve never suited me well in the past. it would make sense to get an amp IMO, that is mated well with the sub since he has such a variety to choose from.

theres no use making the square peg fit in the round hole if you dont have to. get a 1-ohm stable amp that is mono and matches up perfect instead of having to bridge (which IS safe i do understand. its not ideal though)
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

audiobahn makes good equiptment. just like every other company out there that makes car audio, they have there different lines. they start off with the intake series, go into the flame series and so on. i would not compare audiobahn to jensen, thats like comparing a kia to a lexus. in my opinion the amp and sub are good. i personally would buy a capacitor, it is good to have one.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by trebor
There is nothing wrong with the amp he is looking at.................after all 800watts IS 800watts, JL Audio, Zapco, Audiobahn or Jenson, whether it is from an amp running at 1ohm or 4ohm, as long as the amplifier is designed that way(and its output numbers are accurate-Ha Ha ). It would definately match his sub as well as any 1ohm stable amp. There's really nothing wrong with bridging that amp either and if he should decide later on to use it for some higher frequencies then he's not stuck with a sub amp only.

Audiobahn may not be your top choice but there's definately nothing wrong with it. Properly and safely hooked up it will last years, it just might not be one of the more "popular" brands out there.
no... what you mean is 800 CEA2006 watts IS 800 watts.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
theres no use making the square peg fit in the round hole if you dont have to. get a 1-ohm stable amp that is mono and matches up perfect instead of having to bridge (which IS safe i do understand. its not ideal though)
I think we are reaching some sort of middle ground here but I think you should know that mono amps came about as a way of saving money, essentially half an amp, and their class D design makes them more efficient at lower volumes but when cranked up most of them are no more efficient than any class AB amp. As you lower the impedance you also lower damping factor which helps control the speaker. Also, Class D amplifiers have higher distortion levels than class AB amps do, even more than a bridged Audiobahn.................
Old 12-23-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
There is nothing wrong with the amp he is looking at.................after all 800watts IS 800watts, JL Audio, Zapco, Audiobahn or Jenson, whether it is from an amp running at 1ohm or 4ohm, as long as the amplifier is designed that way(and its output numbers are accurate-Ha Ha ). It would definately match his sub as well as any 1ohm stable amp. There's really nothing wrong with bridging that amp either and if he should decide later on to use it for some higher frequencies then he's not stuck with a sub amp only.

no... what you mean is 800 CEA2006 watts IS 800 watts.
Lol .................so true

Fuesad, crutchfield is selling that amp for $199!!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't believe the advice being given out on this thread. I just looked at the specs on that amp and it is a 2 ohm stable stereo amplifier. Means when you bridge it, it should be run at 4 ohms. DO NOT RUN THE AMP ANY LOWER THAN 4 OHMS BRIDGED. It will run hot and you will have problems.

Very few amps can be run at a 1 ohm bridged load. It would have to be a high current amp capable of 1/2 ohm stereo. The correct logic to use when buying subs and amps is buying the right sub for whatever amp you will run. You want to match the impedance of your subwoofer(s) to the amp so that you get the maximum output from the amp. Read the rated power specs on the amp (the reason I say this is because there were actually some amps that were designed to run at lower impedances but put out less power at lower impedances). So in this case with that 2 channel Audiobahn amp, you will see that it delivers it's maximum mono power load @ 4 ohm. Now buy however many subs you want but if you want the most power out of your amp then you buy something that you can wire into 4 ohms. Do not buy a DVC 2 ohm sub and wire each voice coil into each channel on the amp. Instead, wire those voice coils in series then bridge the amp. I could go into more detail but this is all you need to know.

I would only run very high quality amps below their rated impedance and only so after countless other people have done the same.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This gets much easier now!!! :D

I looked up that amp and it only shows it to only be stable at 4ohm mono. You will want to hookup your dual 2ohm sub in series to present the amp with a 4ohm load. This will safely give you your 800 watts, if you hookup that sub to it with a 1ohm load it could/would fry.
Malibu_Rapper, Thats exactly the same info I gave him............

Quick Reply: 800 watts is 800 watts?