Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Affordable car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Affordable car alarms

I am looking for an affordable/cheap priced alarm. The alarm doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, just something basic and with 2 way pager system. Since I don't have keyless entry, it's been getting REALLY annoying having to lock/unlock my doors manually. This is what mostly triggered my wanting of a car alarm, oh and having an anti-theft deterrent system for the car isn't shabby either . I've seen some expensive alarms+installation prices and would like to stay away from that. I'd like it to be no more than $250 installed, preferably . Since I don't really have a clue as to which models of alarms the most affordable and best, I do know the most widely popular brands are viper, python and clifford. I don't know all the different type of snazzy options a high-end alarm may have but like i've said, I would like one with a 2 way pager, parking light flash when turning on/off alarm and also, wanted but not needed, an automatic locking system when you get into the car. If any of you can suggest any affordable and reliable car alarms, it'd be much appreciated, thanks!

Oh and one more thing, I was looking at another thread from a while ago and I thought I should ask, does anyone know anything or if the Baretta 888 car alarm is any good? It's going for $99.99 right now and seems to have much of what I want. Any feedback would be great.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

32 views and no one has ANY suggestions or feedback???
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.compustar.com

I have a 2way that sells for 375.00 installed
Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks sraudio for giving a recommendation, i'll check it out. Anyone else?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have a Prestige ASP920 I got installed for, what do you know $250. It has the 2-way pager, remote start From 1400Ft, door unlock/lock etc.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...et/horizon.jsp
Old 08-05-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the compustar because a "cheaper" alarm is a bad idea. It may lead to going off at random times at 4 am at night or not allowing the car to start or other whacky headaches that are worth more in labour in the long run.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had a Viper 5900 installed - the remote start, the range on this thing is GREAT!!! you get paged if someone is messing with your car and the remote tells you what is going on, it will tell you if just the warn away was set off it will tell you if it was a full trigger, it will tell you if the door has been opend, which by the way is when you need to go see what is going on, if your door is open that means they broke your window or jimed your door open. it is pretty cool we were at the movies last night and my pager went off telling me that the warn away was activated i new i didint need to go check the car because there was never a door open. got it installed for 399.00 and the shop did a fantastic job putting it in.

Erik
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
SL Member

is there anything like the Viper 5900 from DEI's other lines such as Clifford or Python? I'm not interested in remote start because I own a 5-speed.

Otherwise, the 5900 sounds awesome.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the clifford and python both have alarms like the 5900, the key is the alarms that are remote start, they are the only ones that have the range, I had mine put in minus the remote start. You can go with one of lower models but you wont get the range.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The compustar system can be installed on a Manual Trans. Safely. They are actually built to do either. they also have better range and battry life then the DEI's and also are more reliable.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sraudio, what model from compustar do you have?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I loooked into the copustar and liked it, but they are real hard to find in CA, the only dealer i found was in Oregon. I went with the DEI product because all of the local Socal shops install them, the shop i found had a lot of experiance with the XB and they did a fantastic job with the install. I work at a airport and my office is about 1/2 mile away from where I park, and the range on this thing is great, the signal makes it to the car thru all of the metal hangers with know problem.

Erik
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personal have the P2ssr because I am a pro dealer.

we install the 2Wsh (1500ft range) system for 375.00 add 25.00 for a manual transmision

The most popular unit I sell is the 2W900FM(3000ft) 450.00

www.compustar.com

they have a dealer locator now
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Socalrider
I just had a Viper 5900 installed - the remote start, the range on this thing is GREAT!!! you get paged if someone is messing with your car and the remote tells you what is going on, it will tell you if just the warn away was set off it will tell you if it was a full trigger, it will tell you if the door has been opend, which by the way is when you need to go see what is going on, if your door is open that means they broke your window or jimed your door open. it is pretty cool we were at the movies last night and my pager went off telling me that the warn away was activated i new i didint need to go check the car because there was never a door open. got it installed for 399.00 and the shop did a fantastic job putting it in.

Erik
What shop did you get it installed at?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sound Depot in La Mirada, they had it done in a hour and a half.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 AM
SL Member

shops usually have deals where they give you an alarm for under 120 installed. i have one, a cheap one and works great. look for ads in the paper
Old 08-18-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im late to the party, but yes DEI has Viper ones like the 3002 (slow with a remote like the 771) and the 5002 (fast with the 791 remote) that are alarms with keyless and 2-way, but no remote start. I know because Im a dealer
Old 08-18-2007, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Forklift
Im late to the party, but yes DEI has Viper ones like the 3002 (slow with a remote like the 771) and the 5002 (fast with the 791 remote) that are alarms with keyless and 2-way, but no remote start. I know because Im a dealer
I'm looking into probably getting the Viper 5002. How good i this alarm in your honest opinion? Any pros and cons?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking at the 5002 I really liked it but, it dosent have good range it definetly has some pretty cool features that the 5900 does not, but I really wanted the best range. what is really nice about are cars is where they put all of the equipment it is compleatly hidden where you can not gain access to it to try and cut wires.

Erik
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FNslow
Originally Posted by Forklift
I'm looking into probably getting the Viper 5002. How good i this alarm in your honest opinion? Any pros and cons?
I think its the best 2-way alarm only DEI has. Cons, none that I know of
Pros;
5 outputs for window, stereo, neon, etc control with 3-6 being timed for 1-90 seconds or just a pulse for horns or hatch release and the abillity to stay on until the ignition comes on (like turning on the radio at a show)
horn honk output with selectable outputs or use it to control exra sirens off a relay like I did
2 sensor ports for shock sensor and others like digital tilt or perimeter
2-way paging that goes a good 1/2 mile depending on circumstances
Bitwriter compatible
On-board lock controls
On-board starter kill
secondunlock controls so you can do drivers door than unlock the pasenger door
retained acc power output. Use it to power the radio when the key is off until the door is opened
Comfort Closure, mainly good on imports and Euros, but it gives the abilty to roll up all windows and close the sunroof once the alarm is armed (vehicle has to have the ability to do this at the key in the door by holding it to lock or unlock)
and factory alarm arm and disarm controls

Quick Reply: Affordable car alarms