Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket shifters?

Doesn't anyone make a decent short throw aftermarket shifter for the XB? I took out the RS Type shifter that I had in the car today after having to drive home last night from the Niners game in 3rd gear! The "lock" washer came off the shifter and it came apart and wouldn't shift into anything other than 3rd. I guess it could have been worse it could have been reverse! I drove home one time in my 65 Mustang in reverse but that's another show. The RS Type shifter was supposed to have a shorter throw than stock but in reality it was only about a half inch shorter and felt mushier than the stock shifter was. I can't believe that B&M or Hurst or someone else doesn't have something. Is the shifter different for the XB, XA and TC? I've driven a stick for 26 years and I'm not used to such a sloppy feeling shifter. If you've ever driven a car with a nice Hurst you know what I mean.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i feel you. Our shifters are clunky, squeaky, vague and just pretty much $hitty!! I HATE HATE HATE that part of my car, probably the worst part on it. I as well had the RS type shifter on my car and just like you, i was disappointed, it only a 20% shorter throw from neutral into 2nd, 4th and reverse, the other gears are just as long.

Mine didn't come apart i TORE it apart, piece of $hit!!! I was so annoyed and i just couldn't take it anymore i removed it from the car and threw it across the garage and till this day its still there, that was about a month ago.

If you want better shifting, more control and less vagueness, get a Perrin short throw. You will need your OEM shifter housing, because your going to remove the old shift rod and replace it with the Perrin. Now, dont expect any silky smooth shifting or a better shifter fell because its just NOT going to happen. I applied grease, oil, sweat, tears and blood and this things still shifts like a truck. Ive just learned to live with it. At least with the Perrin you get the option of having a 20%-200% reduction in throw. If you need any more information, let me know.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 on the Perrin. It's a great unit. I've had it for a month or two, and it is a huge improvement over stock.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i drove a BMW m5 today. The shifts were super short, less than an inch between the little gears....The clutch, OMG, as soon as you depress the clutch...AS SOON AS you do....You can gas it! wow. what a nice car...
Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

B&M does make a shifter for the box, like the perrin you keep your oem housing and swap the rod.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by EasysBox
B&M does make a shifter for the box, like the perrin you keep your oem housing and swap the rod.
Yeah I saw that. Actually I meant a complete shifter. One that will actually improve shifting not just make the throw shorter. This is the worst shifter I've ever had to deal with.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

once again, i feel you, i TRULY feel you!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what does the perrin come with? is it just the stick or the whole assembly?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
what does the perrin come with? is it just the stick or the whole assembly?
All you have to do to find out is read the posts in the thread. Just the stick.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that sucks. i don't want to re use the old plastic base...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default exactly my point....

all that does, it seems to me, is make a "lousy" short throw shifter. Oh well. Maybe someday!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TWM....TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...TWM...SHORT SHIFTER!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member

I had the B&M and I liked it. The only thing I didnt like was the height of it. So I took my stock shifter, cut it and rewelded the top part and also extended the bottom making a true short throw shifter rather than just a shorter grip. The B&M is a true short throw shifter because the kit comes with spacers that raise the white housing up from the car and the bottom of the shifter is .5"+ longer than the stock shifter (which I matched with my remade shifter). Also, what does it matter if you reuse the stock housing? BUT AS FAR AS MUSHINESS. . . I havent done it yet, but they make brass shift bushings that should help with the feel. CorSport makes them and if you pair them with the base bushings, it should be a little bit more stiff.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=491
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=635

Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Suburban_Assassin
I had the B&M and I liked it. The only thing I didnt like was the height of it. So I took my stock shifter, cut it and rewelded the top part and also extended the bottom making a true short throw shifter rather than just a shorter grip. The B&M is a true short throw shifter because the kit comes with spacers that raise the white housing up from the car and the bottom of the shifter is .5"+ longer than the stock shifter (which I matched with my remade shifter). Also, what does it matter if you reuse the stock housing? BUT AS FAR AS MUSHINESS. . . I havent done it yet, but they make brass shift bushings that should help with the feel. CorSport makes them and if you pair them with the base bushings, it should be a little bit more stiff.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=491
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=635

Hope that helps.
could you give more details on extending your shifter? I am planning on cutting the stock shifter down but also want a shorter throw. Thanks much