Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AIR FUEL Gauge install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

Default AIR FUEL Gauge install HELP!

Ok so I do the search thingy... what an a$$ whip....

I found a guy with a TC in the xB lounge who has the same Q as me, I digress....

I have the AC autotechnic A/F Gauge, need to know what wire to hook it up to PLEASE!

I don't care if you think its a waste or stupid or whatever (every other person I found doing a search who asked this question got flamed, along with not gettig their question answered......)

I want it for looks, and i'm ok with that, I have 7 TVs in my frickin car, by god I have a right to do retarded stuff to it!

Ok i'm calm...

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks ya'll

-TR
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

12V wire to 12V switched source, ground wire to ground source, signal wire to O2 source. Done.

Don't know what the O2 source is? Find a print out of the ECU wiring and tap the O2 wire. Or tap the signal wire directly off the O2 sensor.

Good luck with the eye-candy gauge.

Here is a picture even...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

Originally Posted by Romanova
Find a print out of the ECU wiring and tap the O2 wire. Or tap the signal wire directly off the O2 sensor.

Ok, this is exactly the problem, I don't have a schematic diagram of the ECU...
And I don't know which wire off the sensor is the right one. But the instructions on the
gauge said don't mess up or your gonna fry the sensor.

Is that a xB ECU in the pic, and if so is the wire tapped the wire for the gauge that i'm
seeking?????????

If so your awsome!

Either way thanks Roman Nova.

If not, sombody please help!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ok,

-TR
Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There is another way but it is more expensive and you need access to a exhaust shop. I have a autometer air/fuel meter and when I was looking for the right wires I showed the wiring diagram to my pops. He's been a mechanic with a specialty in electrical systems for about 30+ years. The first thing he tells me is "hell no you're not tapping off a wire that goes into the ECU." The second thing he says to me is "why do you keep doing things to your car."

My reply, "1967 Camaro 289 small block motor swap, with manual to a two speed auto conversion." I could see a tear start to form in his eye and he turns around and says, "just order the sensor kit." and then he walks away.

but I digress.

So I ordered a kit and I will putting a separate o2 sensor in. It will require that I drill a hole into the exhaust before the catalytic converter, and welding a bung in. If I ever decided to take it all out, the kit I ordered actually came with a plug for the bung (hey no laughing).

If you decide to tap the ECU wires then try pm'ing INSIDEOUT

He had a thread started with your very same question. I pm'd him a little before I decided to get the kit. I believe he knows. Good Luck.

If you figure this out post it please. Cause I searched this and several other sites and all the posts regarding the A/F meters always just kinda stopped.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im confused
Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LavabB
Find a print out of the ECU wiring and tap the O2 wire. Or tap the signal wire directly off the O2 sensor.

Ok, this is exactly the problem, I don't have a schematic diagram of the ECU...
And I don't know which wire off the sensor is the right one. But the instructions on the
gauge said don't mess up or your gonna fry the sensor.

Is that a xB ECU in the pic, and if so is the wire tapped the wire for the gauge that i'm
seeking?????????

If so your awsome!

Either way thanks Roman Nova.

If not, sombody please help!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ok,

-TR
Yes, that is an xB ECU and that is the wire you want. I did a QUICK search of 'install air fuel gauge' and had the answer right quick. I also knew the answer because I installed one of these in my 16v Scirocco and I ran one for a short time in my VR4. The o2 reads between 0-1 volt and the gauges converts that signal into pretty lights. You know this gauge is about worthless since there is no way to adjust the air/fuel settings or see what fuel trims are right? Good.

As far as tapping off the ECU, there is nothing wrong with that. Use a vampire style tap and you'll be golden. If you have no idea what I am talking about, you might consider having someone else do it. You can always consider a wideband which requires welding a bung onto your exhaust and running an additional o2 gauge, but again... you can't change anything unless you have an AFC or Camcon... but even then unless you can log the changes... why bother?

GL
Old 01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Call me I did mine and can tell you how to do it!!!! 918-698-0189 Matt
Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All you Need to do is crawl you fat butt under the car( That was my problem) Then grab your volt meter, Ground it out set it to volt's look for the the O2 wires coming out of the o2 sensor there should be 4 wires, I think the colors are two black wires one white and one gray, Turn the key on................. It must be on or you are ____sing in the wind.......... Take the pointy end of the volt meter tester stick it to the gray wire it should read .01 volt if ir reads 0 you are touching the ground if it reads 12 you are on the power wire for the o2... Do not hook i up till you make sure it is the .01-.05 volt wire or your air fuel gauge will fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can not read 12 volts it will implode..
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

When I say turn your car on I mean just the ignition not running!!!!!! Just power it up
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by INSIDEOUT
All you Need to do is crawl you fat butt under the car( That was my problem) Then grab your volt meter, Ground it out set it to volt's look for the the O2 wires coming out of the o2 sensor there should be 4 wires, I think the colors are two black wires one white and one gray, Turn the key on................. It must be on or you are ____sing in the wind.......... Take the pointy end of the volt meter tester stick it to the gray wire it should read .01 volt if ir reads 0 you are touching the ground if it reads 12 you are on the power wire for the o2... Do not hook i up till you make sure it is the .01-.05 volt wire or your air fuel gauge will fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can not read 12 volts it will implode..
Wow... that is one way to do it... one overly complicated way...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

Thanks Romanova! yer da man!

Yes..... I like pretty lights...
Thanks for the help.

-TR
Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by INSIDEOUT
Wow... that is one way to do it... one overly complicated way...
ok well cool guy! How would you do it , you tap into your ecu and fry something then you are screwed!! You run it to the o2 sensor and screw something you replace o2 sensor and call dealer they fix for free!! It took me maybe 15 minutes to do it and run wiring!!! Very simple!