Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alarm LED location

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alarm LED location

I want to see the location where everyone put that LED. currently mine is in the middle knock off cover above the ash tray. but I need that space to put another switch.
where is the best place to put it without drilling holes in the hard to replace interior parts like the door panels.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck on placing without drilling. But I am also interested, I just finished an alarm install. I was thinking about drilling and placing led next to driver's and passneger's front door locks. A VW inspiration.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okey, I thought about it after posting the first, There is a thread about replacing the inside door lock **** with clear ones with LED inside. can some one point me on that thread and possibly where to get it?
thanks,
Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cjastacio
Good luck on placing without drilling. But I am also interested, I just finished an alarm install. I was thinking about drilling and placing led next to driver's and passneger's front door locks. A VW inspiration.
ahh got it!! https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97883

thanks cbsimonsez!!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

A little tough to see here but it's mounted on the dash just above the center trim piece. I did have to drill a small 5 mm hole to get it in but it is easy to see when the alarm is on. I still have the factory mounted (not Scion security) light mounted down at the bottom of the dash on the drivers side. It is only visible if you are looking in the vehicle.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you surfcity, but like I wrote, I don't want any drilling. I might end up with the replacement **** from Superfa.
thanks!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMMM.... The LED door locks are a bit too much for me. I think they would be attracting too much attention. I would rather the LED deter the wrong type of attention, if you know what I mean. Any other interestin locations?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cjastacio
MMMM.... The LED door locks are a bit too much for me. I think they would be attracting too much attention. I would rather the LED deter the wrong type of attention, if you know what I mean. Any other interestin locations?
now you made me thinking.
prolly you are right. not a good idea. i'll see if there is enough space to put(drill in) a small led on the lock ****(at least thats an easy replaced part.).
Old 02-26-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me know what you find out. Here's an idea! If you could find a plastic ring that is larger, but still fit between the lock cap and the door, you might be able to drill an LED in there. Also I know there is a thread somewhere around here about putting an LED in the plastic cover where the door handle is. I'll see if I can find that one.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Without drilling eh? i placed mine in the front window defroster vent - sorry i dont have a pic, but i can post one later tonight

to run the led (i did this without removing the dash - i used an 11 inch long, 1/8" thick flat screwdriver to pry the vent housing apart a bit and i 'pulled' the wire back through and connected it to my alarm

it's in the left 1/4 of the vent, but you can place it anywhere - i liked that position because it reflects off the windshield and you can see the led from almost every position around the car
Old 02-26-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

*LIGHBULB* an idea after the above post on the led lock tabs, get a pair and dip/paint the lower half in 'rubber grip dip' to only allow the upper portion to glo

or or or.... mask off a logo in the side of it, or even just a small dot - either way, you can make any shape/part of it glow

rubber grip dip is a liquid rubber compund used to add a layer/repair a layer of rubber grip on tools like pliers etc, available in many colors, red,blue,black usually - available at a hardware store near you!
*just fyi*
Old 02-26-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice! i want to see the pix. thanks.
more ideas please!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I definitely want to see that! Another idea I found while searching, some people have their LED in the A-pillar. I would also like to see that if someone could post a picture. I tried looking at the posts on the thread I was talking about but they didn't show up, could be because I am on dial up right now.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crap! I just went out to take a look, no go on the door lock *****, its going to be a pain to run wires. I might really have to drill. location I was aiming is the middle between the hazard switch and the recirculate switch. Whats your thought?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good spot, as far as visibility, but extremely tough to cover if you ever wanted to remove the led. I just went out and checked out the trim ring, around the lock its self, and looks like there should be enough room for at least a 3mm. I don't have a measure but if there is enough room that would be a great spot to drill. That is ideally where I would like to put mine.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about trying a scanning LED that double sided tapes on, no drilling required.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I put mine in a knock-out, I wanted it to be seen.
Sorry for the huge pic.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally! I found one of the other options I was discussing earlier. I found this in the tech section for the xB. It shows how to put led in the door latches. The only reservation I have about doing this is that I am not sure that this little trick will be bright enough. I will have to test with some LED I have at home before I actually drill. Anywho, check this out and please keep throwing options this way.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35030
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="PaRaGoNViCtiM"]I put mine in a knock-out, I wanted it to be seen.

Great idea!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Above the intrument pod between the pod and he window

Quick Reply: Alarm LED location