Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

////Alpine Speaker install! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Default ////Alpine Speaker install! HELP!

Ok, i have here is SPS-170A 6.5" Coixals for the rear, and SPS-171A 6.5" Components for the front. I pulled this site from JL Aduio and this is pretty much the same thing i have but Alpine! Im wondering is, the stock speaker wire.....where is that gonna be in this picture? ive done regular coixals before but never components. i have no idea what im doing with the speaker wire from the head unit? also where can i get some resistors? Please help! A good walk-through would do good too! Im gonna be installing this tomorrow afternoon! thanks!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/SYS_4.pdf
Old 10-29-2005, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member

Those come with crossovers and don't need any additional resistance. I have the alpine CDA-9855 and am able to adjust the frequency and phase for the fronts/rear. If you have a IPersonalize compatible head unit I would suggest using that rather than using an in line resister.

If you haven't already, make sure when installing you check the +/- page 6 in this PDF, http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869029.pdf

Now these speakers are deep, you will need to use a spacer. For the rear speakers I found it to be a pain,
1. Using the spacer and cranking the sound will cause the speaker to touch against the panel. This causes you to ____ yourself after working hard. So I suggest trimming the spacer down as much as you can while still fitting the rear of the speaker through the hole provided.
2. Not using a spacer will work as well, however the metal will need to be cut/formed to allow the speaker in.
In both cases tossing some sound dampening and/or foam is a great idea.

Wire:
you will have two wires from the CAR going into the two left most gold screw down terminals (when they are facing you)
The next set will be for the woofer
And the last should be for the tweeter

Mounting,
I put the tweeter into the sail panels, (the triangle plastic covering the side mirror nuts). This allowed me to install additional speakers in the dash for extra highs. The door and dash speakers are spliced together so keep that in mind if you do the same.
I also installed the crossover so it's hidden, when you go to take the doors off, remove the inside door instrument, right under there is a PERFECT spot I found to install the crossover. Predrill a hole and screw in, mounted horizontal, where the screw downs face right or left.

If I can find the pics I'll post them but I'm not having much luck ^_^
Old 10-29-2005, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bentaboy, what kind of speakers are you using and how big was your spacer?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member

For the rear I tried to use this spacer with alpine SPX-177R. http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOSASCN656
But it was too much space and the speaker rubbed when hitting the mid frequecies.

The fronts I just cut out the factory speakers and re-mounted with SPS-171A