Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Bazooka Install D.I.Y

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bazooka Install D.I.Y

First of all thanks to all who helped me with this "SoCalRider,Spr0Ket I got it right this time " and second of all sorry for smaller pics I had to use my phone camera cuz I left my digi am at friends while snowboarding. \

BTW some may look down on bazooka But it does what I want fills in the lower end without disturbing anyone else I dont care if others hear my muzak and the whole setup only cost me 120$$$$$

Allright so If u have or want to use a bazooka sub in your scion with the stock headunit this faq is for you.

First thing you need is a bazooka sub this is the one I used, It is the same one they were putting in from dealer. [/url] http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdfko.0 [url]

Next you need the toyota specific wiring harness to hook up to the head unit toyota part # PTS20-52040-WH I ordered it from TRDsparks.com call them and ask for ken, tell him that u found out about this at scionlife and he should hook u up. I got mine for like 50 dollars they can sell for as high as 80 dollars .

U will also need a stock screwdriver,10 mm socket wrench and 12mm socket wrench.

Make sure and disconect the battery when doing this as not to cause problems the 10mm will allow u to do this. To take of the face to get to the head unit take off all the ***** for ac like so

[img][/img]

Take all ***** off then unscrew the to screws. Make sure dash cubby is closed, and pull from the top to get it off I pull from the vent holes u need to use a decent amount of force pull from top to bottom. Once it is off you will still be connected by three buttons the ac,defrost,and hazard.The ac and defrost disconnect on the bottom and the hazard from the top.
After this u will be looking at only the headunit unscrew the four screws around the head unit and pull it out

[img][/img]

after that disconnect all wires and sit should like so

[img][/img]

Then take your toyta wiring harness and pop the adapter in the hole on the right side and then the orignal blue adapter in the female adapter on the wiring harness. Replace all wires the black one that plugs into the circular hole is the radio and the one second from the right is the rear speakers. Then u must decide how to get the wiring to the back. I ran mine this way down the hole behind ac controls and falls down on the passenger floorboard.

[img][/img]

Then I removed all the plastic paneling in the doors of the passenger side like so

[img][/img]

here

[img][/img]

and here

[img][/img]

Then run wire in the track all the way tto back pop up back seats and run under there. Next you need to disconnect rear seat belts and feed them thru the holes in the bench seat foam (u can use a screw deiver to disconnect rear middle belt. Use the 12mm socket wrench to disconnect middle seat belt bolt apply grounding ring and replace belt bolt run the cable into trunk space and connect to sub. Replace all paneling, replace all front dash and the reconnect battery and u have bass.

This is my first DIY so If I missed anything feel free to help me
Thanks Guys
Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Bazooka Install D.I.Y

Fantastic stuff there Tay. Good writeup... now just clean up the links and images... you're set.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these 'tubes used and installing it myself, however I have the RS3 with the Alpine head unit. Does anyone know whether it will use the same wiring harness?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyotapart.com has the harness for $44.55. Just search the part number. I don't have the Bazooka sub, but I have a Kenwood tube sub much like the bazooka. Can I see a pic of the connection to the sub to make sure this will work with my sub?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im all but positive the wiring harness wil not work with your kenwood without mod you will need to change some of the wiring probably.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you post a pic of the plugs that go into the sub? That would really help.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cinemafia
I'm thinking of buying one of these 'tubes used and installing it myself, however I have the RS3 with the Alpine head unit. Does anyone know whether it will use the same wiring harness?
I'd like to know this also. I'm not looking for an elaborate setup for my RS 3.0, and if the bazooka and harness would work for the RS 3.0 Alpine head unit, I'd consider going this route. Anyone know?

Drel
Old 03-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I took my dealer/port-installed Bazooka out (yeah, I overpaid) and the wiring was run just as you describe, but there were wire ties about every 5-10 inches, some of which were a complete pain to remove, especially between the HU and the in-cabin air filter. I honestly have no clue how they were able to install them where they were.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you post a pic of the plugs that go into the sub? That would really help.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member

ok I also have the new 3.0 in the envy green and I traded my old xb in for it I took out my bazooka and the wire harness that went with it and it does not hook up up to the new alpine unit. I thought since I used to be an electronics tech I would just tap into the new wiring but I need a diagram for it I went to the dealer no luck so I talked to my sales rep at Alexander Toyota in franklin really great guy he got the number to technical from his service dept and we called them they were clueless so does anyone have any idea I don't want to mess up my head unit and it has all kinds of wires coming out I mean it has power in power back out to the headrest tv's oh BTW it also also RCA video in and Audio in so it was really easy to hook up a PS2 to this head unit. but I also want to run my bazooka not looking for huge sound the bazooka works fine for me..

Anyone done this yet I know that their are not alot of these 3.0 running around so therefore not alot of alpine head units but any help would be great.... especially a link to a wire diagram so I know which wires are which without having to disconnect them all and tap I would rather plug and play though
Old 03-25-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GoingInsane
Anyone done this yet I know that their are not alot of these 3.0 running around so therefore not alot of alpine head units but any help would be great.... especially a link to a wire diagram so I know which wires are which without having to disconnect them all and tap I would rather plug and play though
I'd like to know as well. If it will help, here are some pictures of the back of the RS 3.0 head unit. They not the best, but the best I could do holding the head unit and working the camera at the same time.

Drel

*NOTE: These are about 1MB photos *

http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2132.jpg

http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2134.jpg
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member

so would all this work the same way if i were to install the infinity basslink?...i bought a wiring harness that came with rca outputs on ebay from norcalscion.com...but it doesn't seem to fit...being that the plugs dont' match up...so i was wondering if there was anyway else i could run this
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by noribox
so would all this work the same way if i were to install the infinity basslink?...i bought a wiring harness that came with rca outputs on ebay from norcalscion.com...but it doesn't seem to fit...being that the plugs dont' match up...so i was wondering if there was anyway else i could run this
The harness from Norcalscion should fit. When I used one in my RS 3.0, the fit was very tight due to the connectors on the new harness from Norcal. I was able to apply just a little force and the connector went on up. The adapter works like a champ in my install. I'm using the Norcal harness with a Basslink myself, so I know it will work.

Drel
Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member

i put in teh harness...and hooked up the sub...sub works...but nothing else...so im guessing with the norcal harness i need to start splicing some wires?...or am i doing something wrong?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's a Subplug 4, you will need to supply power via an aftermarket amplifier. If it's a Subplug 2, then everything hsould work as is.

Drel
Old 05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I am stupid....... but is the Bazooka tube getting the 12v through the radio, as a pass through? I understand getting the signal from the deck, but I assumed that you would have to run a power cable up to the battery and a ground to someplace in the back.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maicca
Maybe I am stupid....... but is the Bazooka tube getting the 12v through the radio, as a pass through? I understand getting the signal from the deck, but I assumed that you would have to run a power cable up to the battery and a ground to someplace in the back.
Bazooka tubes draw very little current, i think like 7.5 amp's atmost. So you can technically run it of the radio for power,(shoot i ran power of a rear side panel light in a car at work before ) but a 10awg to the battery would be the best way to go.