Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Boston vs. JL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the subs are equal in terms of power handling and you want to go with a sealed box, then the most important factor from a spl standpoint is the woofers XMAX(excursion). SQ wise i'm sure they both will be comparable, so once again, if you want a sealed enclosure for your sub, get the one with the greatest excursion.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Nozerider
Thanks for your help guys. I think I'll go check some other places in terms of the actual sub vs. the other.
I'd suggest going to a shop that sells both and actually listening to them rather than taking opinions of people online. Much better to get what you know sounds good to you rather than what other people like.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't even bring up another brand, except someone else already did. Since you said your amp puts out 300w RMS I would recommend a single Diamond Audio D312D2 wired up in series.

Diamond makes a great subwoofer, and they are much more reasonable (in my experience) than the other brands you listed. If you just want the ground thumping bass, you may want to spring for the JL. If you want some great SQ to go along with it, I would go with the Diamond sub. If you aren't concerned about warranty, you can find some pretty good deals online.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ tru dat on the warranty thing..... I don't personally care about warranty so I go for ebay..

Plus with dealers and installers, it's highway robbery on prices
Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did some checking and at some online stores (not ebay) you can actually get a Diamond D612D2 for the same price or less than what you get the JL W3V2 for. And you can get the D312D2 for less than half!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a Diamond 10" in a SQ setup and am very impressed with it for that price. I have JL in my truck and it sounds good too but was a bit more expensive for what it is..
Old 01-20-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Thanks for your help guys. I think I'll go check some other places in terms of the actual sub vs. the other.
I'd suggest going to a shop that sells both and actually listening to them rather than taking opinions of people online. Much better to get what you know sounds good to you rather than what other people like.

Yes I tried that, but one sells both. They only want me to buy what they sell.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mandos

Yes I tried that, but one sells both. They only want me to buy what they sell.
That sucks.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I can't tell you about the W3, but the G2 is a pretty good sub. I was running one in my box in a sealed 1^ft box with 375 running to it(Boston G24 Amp). It hit great for a single 12. I listen to all types of music('cept country) but mostly electornic, dance, trance, techno, D&B, etc. It kept up very well with the fast beats.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdonscion
I listen to all types of music('cept country) but mostly electornic, dance, trance, techno, D&B, etc.
I beg to differ... country is not music. Oh yeah, you left out BreakBeats.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright man, I'm gonna give you the honest, bone crushing truth. As far as sealed or ported, definately sealed. Just remeber, the bigger the box, the more boomier it'll get. If it's too big, then it's gonna crap out on you.
For the JL w3. You can't run one JL w3. They were made to be ran in pairs. The w6's and w0's were made to run in singles and odd numbers lik 1, 3, 5, and so on.
JL is a great woofer, don't get me wrong. But they are also known for over pricing. When was the last time you heard them being a top contender in any real slam and jam audio competition like the Audio Olympics. They're just too high priced for what you get. You're better off going with the Boston. If you build the box right, it'll be just as good as a JL or better. Personally, I like Pioneer. They're cheap and they perform. I also like Diamond Audio. They cost quite a bit but you get what you pay for.
Then there's the amp that you're gonna have. What I would recommend is just about any D-Class amp. They require less power draw from your battery with a high output. Just about any will do because they are rated as true output power. Just do some research and you'll see. Also, check out www.etronics.com. They have some pretty good stuff really cheap. Good luck and I hope that everything works out. Peace.......
Old 01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Speaker_Box22
...You can't run one JL w3. They were made to be ran in pairs. The w6's and w0's were made to run in singles and odd numbers lik 1, 3, 5, and so on.
what on earth makes you think that they can't be ran as singles or that they were designed to run in pairs??? lay off the crack pipe..
Old 01-23-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have one JL 8W3 in a slot- ported box in my Tacoma and it sounds awesome! SQ system naturally.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
...You can't run one JL w3. They were made to be ran in pairs. The w6's and w0's were made to run in singles and odd numbers lik 1, 3, 5, and so on.
what on earth makes you think that they can't be ran as singles or that they were designed to run in pairs??? lay off the crack pipe..

I don't know if your simple mind can understand this but JLw3's weren't made to be ran as singles. They were made to run in pairs. Yes, they can be ran in singles, but for optimum output, they run better on 2 channel amps with another woofer. The w6's were intended to be ran in odd numbers on mono block amps. That's how they perform at their peak. The w0's were a model for the low man starting off who wanted a good name without the price. In case you didn't know, I was refering to the w3v1 and the w6v1. I'm not 100% sure about this new v2 crap. I think they were just designed, if I'm not mistaken, to handle about 20% more power. So unless you know your ____, don't come at me with that bs.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uhh...I think I speak for everyone when I say, do you have a source from JL saying that? Or just hearsay?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not 100% sure about this new v2 crap.
You just lost about 100% of your credibility with that statement. The v2 "crap" is designed under a completely different strategy. Yes, you can run any of the subs in singles, doubles, tripples or whathaveyou. The v2 was designed under a new shift in perspective while keeping some of the main points of the v1 still apparent. The W6 is an offspring of the W7 foundation. The W7 was designed as both SPL and SQ where as the W6 was geared for SQ and small sealed box enclosures. The W3 was originally designed as a middle-of-the-road W6 but designed more for the good sized ported boxes. The W1 was initially designed as a great entry level sub that could be run in any combination while still performing well ported or sealed. The W0 can be considered the grandfather of the W1 or the W1v.5 as the target market was the same. How you ran the subs was up to you. JL also knew they needed a system they could hook up their oddball ohmed subs to, a way of achieving the same levels of output regardless of 1.5ohms to 4ohms... Enter the RIPS system. My setup is run via dual channel 3ohms per sub (8W7s) and I've had it wired at 1.5ohms as well. The difference in volume didn't exist and the sound quality was still just as good.

I am not an authority of JL products by all means, but your statements about the subs only running effecient in specific orientation is almost laughable.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spr0ket
I'm not 100% sure about this new v2 crap.
You just lost about 100% of your credibility with that statement. The v2 "crap" is designed under a completely different strategy. Yes, you can run any of the subs in singles, doubles, tripples or whathaveyou. The v2 was designed under a new shift in perspective while keeping some of the main points of the v1 still apparent. The W6 is an offspring of the W7 foundation. The W7 was designed as both SPL and SQ where as the W6 was geared for SQ and small sealed box enclosures. The W3 was originally designed as a middle-of-the-road W6 but designed more for the good sized ported boxes. The W1 was initially designed as a great entry level sub that could be run in any combination while still performing well ported or sealed. The W0 can be considered the grandfather of the W1 or the W1v.5 as the target market was the same. How you ran the subs was up to you. JL also knew they needed a system they could hook up their oddball ohmed subs to, a way of achieving the same levels of output regardless of 1.5ohms to 4ohms... Enter the RIPS system. My setup is run via dual channel 3ohms per sub (8W7s) and I've had it wired at 1.5ohms as well. The difference in volume didn't exist and the sound quality was still just as good.

I am not an authority of JL products by all means, but your statements about the subs only running effecient in specific orientation is almost laughable.
Ok, now the whole W7 thing coming from JL was supposed to be a new breed of subwoofer. The W7 isn't in the same category as most woofers, at least it wasn't. It was meant to be the biggest and the baddest woofer out there. The only problem with it is that it's way over priced for the performance that it gives. Now don't get me wrong, it does perform and they sound good as hell, but it's still too pricey. You can get woofers that perform just as good for about half the price. As far as me saying "effecient", I guess I should have used "optimal" instead.
As you can tell I'm not a big fan of JL and it's not because of their performance. It's their prices. I know that I can get the same or better sound for just as much or cheaper. I just think that it's rediculous that they price their product so high when there's competitors out there that are just as good. Don't get me wrong, I do respect JL and what they do and I like their product but what you basically pay for with that extra money is the name. You got people out there like Eclipse who are pretty much the same way but their line of titanium subwoofers are just flat out better! They aren't made in some factory buy a machine. They're each made by hand. As well as if you blow one, they'll replace it......FREE. That's why you pay the amount that you do with Eclipse. Why do you pay so much with JL? I might have missed something, if so then let me know.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if your simple mind can understand this but JLw3's weren't made to be ran as singles. They were made to run in pairs. Yes, they can be ran in singles, but for optimum output, they run better on 2 channel amps with another woofer.....
So what mechanical make-up/design is it that allows the w3's to "be more efficient in pairs"??? the only way it could make a difference is if the ohm load didn't allow the amp to push full power with just one sub.... but that doesn't mean it was designed that way.... that means that "you've"(not you directly) got the wrong sub/amp combination...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't know if your simple mind can understand this but JLw3's weren't made to be ran as singles. They were made to run in pairs. Yes, they can be ran in singles, but for optimum output, they run better on 2 channel amps with another woofer. The w6's were intended to be ran in odd numbers on mono block amps. That's how they perform at their peak. The w0's were a model for the low man starting off who wanted a good name without the price. In case you didn't know, I was refering to the w3v1 and the w6v1. I'm not 100% sure about this new v2 crap. I think they were just designed, if I'm not mistaken, to handle about 20% more power. So unless you know your poop, don't come at me with that bs.
Please stop All of those models are there to simply offer the consumer more price/performance options, so JL can sell more speakers. Period.

Power is power, speakers don't know if its from a mono amp or a stereo amp.

There's no such thing as a same brand model sensing efficiency boosting servo-less smart-woofer!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ nice.....

"WE SHALL CALL IT.... PREPARATION H"... haha great sig

Quick Reply: Boston vs. JL