Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Carputer: WIP

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Carputer: WIP

I've been working on building a carputer for quite some time and have just finished getting the majority of the parts I need for the system. I still have a ways to go before the system is in the car and fully replace the current unit I have (Kenwood KDCX889). This thread is going to be my worklog thread on everything I'm doing to finalize the build.

Main system
Case: VoomPC2
Power: M2-ATX-HV (160W)
Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF2 w/2GB Corsair mem
Drive: 300GB 7200RPM Hitachi

Work log
One of the few elements I found is the motherboard I chose does not fit in the VoomPC2 case without modification. The reason why I went with the Atom 330 processor and this particular board is the level of heat ranges I've already subjected many of these systems to. I've found the board to be stable even in 130ºF environments (I build embedded systems for a living). I've changed out the heat sinks and beefed up the fans for a much improved dissipation rating. I've also added a switch to the case itself. The first time the system is connected, it has to be manually powered on, then you can disconnect to your hearts content.

Software wise, I aimed dead on for the latest and greatest release of LinuxICE. I decided this would be the best route as the boot up time on the system was a mere 18s to music and just over a minute for the GPS. On the other hand, a highly optimized trimmed and tweaked version of the Microsoft flavor (XP w/Centrafuse) was 29s to music, and almost three minutes before the GPS kicked in. In the optimization, I even removed the Explorer shell and had the system boot direct to Centrafuse. Now to give a little more of a nod towards MS, with the system set to use sleep rather than hibernate the Windows setup was no more than 7s to music but the same time on the GPS. So this issue is still up in the air. So if I get to the point where I have a second battery specifically for ICE, I might go the route of Windows w/Centrafuse for the plugin options available. For now, use the right tool for the job.

More to follow, but here's the computer system. My 7" screen should be in by next week.

So if anyone has questions, I've learned quite a bit on this project and will be happy to answer any questions to help build their own carputer. Suggestions and criticism are welcome.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you going to use an amplifier to connect it to your speakers / subwoofer? If so..which amplifier are you going to use?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good luck with the build. I copped out and just got a refurbished Mac Mini. Carnetix even makes a supply with the Mac plug pre-wired, so no splicing even. I gotta say Mac builds a strong box, it's mounted in-dash exposed to some sun and it hasn't so much as crashed yet. Interface has been an issue, the built in Apple remote and front row software are great for playing music, but it's useless for anything else and not customizeable I'm still wating for decent GPS for Mac.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Following
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've built several carPCs over the past few years. I've used a few different front ends and just about every piece of hardware out there for Mini-ITX form systems. On my existing system, I skipped the case and built my own from a couple of aluminum bases and fiberglass shells. The entire unit fits inside my dash.
Just an FYI...
The M2ATX power supply is a nice unit and I've never had any problems from any of the systems that I have built using them, but they do have a weak "remote power" circuit. The circuit seems to do fine with only one amp, but seemed to be somewhat problematic when I added more to the circuit, such as multiple amplifiers, cooling fans, etc., etc.. My fix was to take the burden off the M2ATX and just run a 12V ACC, switched, to the amplifiers. I turn my amps/accessories on and off with a switch. You could also run a small relay if you would rather rely on the M2ATX to turn your accessories on and off, but I didn't bother with it.
Several different motherboards seem to have a floating ground issue with their USB that becomes especially apparent when you introduce an OBDII scanner such as an ELMScan Tool. This floating ground doesn't pose any problems for the PC or the OBDII scanner, but does introduce a small ground loop into the mix that is audible through the amplified system. VIA mobos seem to be the worst for this floating ground problem, but I have seen them on others as well. My solution was to just wire the USB ground in with the system ground. This eliminated the ground loop and the dreaded "alternator whine".
If there's anything that you run into that gives you grief, shoot me a PM. I'll help any way I can.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I want a car pc dang it....
Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by juzlookzfazt
Are you going to use an amplifier to connect it to your speakers / subwoofer? If so..which amplifier are you going to use?
Amps: JL 300/4 and JL 500/1
Components: JL TR650cs
Subs: JL 8W7 x2

All the speakers/subs are already wired up for externally amplified equipment.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Good luck with the build. I copped out and just got a refurbished Mac Mini. Carnetix even makes a supply with the Mac plug pre-wired, so no splicing even. I gotta say Mac builds a strong box, it's mounted in-dash exposed to some sun and it hasn't so much as crashed yet. Interface has been an issue, the built in Apple remote and front row software are great for playing music, but it's useless for anything else and not customizeable I'm still wating for decent GPS for Mac.
The GlobalSAT BU-353 receiver works with the mac. At least it should since it works well with Linux. The framework is the same and BSD core shares the driver components with the Linux core, so it should be available as a plug-n-play. I was able to pick one up for my build for only $30.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by UV7
I've built several carPCs over the past few years. I've used a few different front ends and just about every piece of hardware out there for Mini-ITX form systems. On my existing system, I skipped the case and built my own from a couple of aluminum bases and fiberglass shells. The entire unit fits inside my dash.
I was going to go this route as well at first. After doing some build testing and equipment check, I wanted to be able to remove the whole thing with a few simple changes. So I went with a modular system instead. The only piece that will not be in the dash itself is the carputer. The monitor, GPS receiver, Sat Receiver, relays etc will be in the dash.

The M2ATX power supply is a nice unit and I've never had any problems from any of the systems that I have built using them, but they do have a weak "remote power" circuit. The circuit seems to do fine with only one amp, but seemed to be somewhat problematic when I added more to the circuit, such as multiple amplifiers, cooling fans, etc., etc.. My fix was to take the burden off the M2ATX and just run a 12V ACC, switched, to the amplifiers. I turn my amps/accessories on and off with a switch. You could also run a small relay if you would rather rely on the M2ATX to turn your accessories on and off, but I didn't bother with it.

Several different motherboards seem to have a floating ground issue with their USB that becomes especially apparent when you introduce an OBDII scanner such as an ELMScan Tool. This floating ground doesn't pose any problems for the PC or the OBDII scanner, but does introduce a small ground loop into the mix that is audible through the amplified system. VIA mobos seem to be the worst for this floating ground problem, but I have seen them on others as well. My solution was to just wire the USB ground in with the system ground. This eliminated the ground loop and the dreaded "alternator whine".
Great information to have. I'm sure I'll have things cured with the 12v USB hub which should eliminate the floating ground. Not to mention the amps will be turned on via relay switch from ACC instead of the M2-ATX-HV.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Guys,

My name is Phil and I am from Chicago. I have a 2006 TC and I also put a computer in it. I use it all the time, Love it. I do tech work for customers and love having the remote desktop feature in my car, I also installed a high end mic on the roof and I am able to use Skype to make calls with, I don't honestly think I would go back to ever having a regular radio in my car again. I drive my wife's car and find myself sitting there bored waiting for her to come out of starbucks lol! I also have slingbox connected to my comcast cable box at home and have the software installed in the car so we can watch HBO or our DVR on the road trips!

Like I said best thing I ever did was install this thing, and you know what? Much cheaper then going and buying a high end kenwood with a NAV system, heck I spent 160 on my garmin gps and it works flawlessly!

I even have my computer wired into my alarm system so that I can turn on my computer from the remote on my key chain when i am in the house and want to upload music or take something from the car's computer. Plus i have hooked it up so that I can cut the engine off from the web or turn it on from the web as well as lock the doors or unlock the doors!

____ is sweet! CARPC's from now on baby!!!!!

Anyway that is my tid bid on my TC hookups for now!!

Thanks have a great day peeps and have fun with your cars!

Phil
Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking to do something similar and have learned a lot so far.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

So I found some more free time to work on this project and I thought I would recap some new information.

I've gone through and re-evaluated the system running Linux. Everything I'm using in this build works flawless with the exception of the Sirius/XM tuner bridge. There is a driver out there, but it's not completely stable yet. So, once this hurdle has been finalized, I'm going to switch the host operating system back over to Linux. Less power consumption and better capabilities through the Linux distribution: LinuxICE. Well, cheaper for the end result anyway. With a system running the way I currently have it set up the software cost alone would be a minimum of $240, an extra 50 if I wanted to go with the GPS routing and FM traffic logic controller. I can wave that entire cost by dumping Microsoft completely and keep all of the functionality with Linux at the host.

The latest testing has ODBII functionality working well. I've got the drivers for the servos to work so I may be able to do the HVAC after all. Just going to take quite a bit of fabrication to make that work though. VFD secondary screen works on parallel, I'm going to have to see about drivers for a USB version... either that or build my own par/usb bridge using the conversion chip... it would be cheaper and I could fit it into the case.

I've not been able to test the s-video out as I have no display which supports s-video. I may be able to convert this into a standard NTSC output for secondary monitor. Might need a custom application to handle sending the final output to one display or the other using gestures.

So right now, if anyone is looking into building a carputer and does not need the functionality of Sirius/XM tuning... LinuxICE is very viable and would reduce the TCO (total cost of ownership) on the device.

This this was kind of interesting. One of the features I like about nghost (frontend of LinuxICE) is the skinning. All features of the frontend are being moved over to modules so it will allow for really advanced skinning features... like gps screen split with ODBII information and a PIP of the current running video. Here's an older skin that I might rock on the final build.

Last edited by spr0k3t; 07-03-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Sweetness, you can have that annoying honeycomb texture that is over everything in the car covering your display as well!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Got the glasswork started finally. Instead of going through one of Chip Foose's install techs, I decided to learn more about how to glass the right way. So I spent ten minutes watching three youtube vids and decided to tackle it first hand.

So far, no fail yet. Working on it though.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
The GlobalSAT BU-353 receiver works with the mac. At least it should since it works well with Linux. The framework is the same and BSD core shares the driver components with the Linux core, so it should be available as a plug-n-play. I was able to pick one up for my build for only $30.
Yeah, finding a receiver isn't a problem. What I'm trying to find though is software that looks good on a 7" screen (big font, uncluttered, touchscreen useable). Basically the interface on the stand-alone models for use on the full desktop. Right now they all expect you to use a mouse with drop-down menues, tiny buttons, unreadable text, etc.

Garmin Mobile PC does this (same interface as on their stand alone touchscreens) but I have yet to find one mac-compatible and don't really want to run bootcamp or parallel desktop, I like front row too much for music to lose it w/ Windows.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

interesting, what are the perks of having a carputer, cant wait to see the finished product
Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

- 160 gigs of music on tap, with a remote
- play DVD's without needed a seperate DVD player
- network multiple monitors
- custom interfaces
- WiFi, internet on the road w/ air card
- modular design so you can integrate satellite radio, GPS, bluetooth, etc. later

You can get all of this from a high-end stereo, but last I checked that would run you north of $1,200. A decent car PC can be done for $400-500. Some assembly required though.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah, finding a receiver isn't a problem. What I'm trying to find though is software that looks good on a 7" screen (big font, uncluttered, touchscreen useable). Basically the interface on the stand-alone models for use on the full desktop. Right now they all expect you to use a mouse with drop-down menues, tiny buttons, unreadable text, etc.

Garmin Mobile PC does this (same interface as on their stand alone touchscreens) but I have yet to find one mac-compatible and don't really want to run bootcamp or parallel desktop, I like front row too much for music to lose it w/ Windows.
If you know a few mac developers... you might be able to convince them to port Navit the open source navigational package. It's already been ported to several platforms including PDAs and iPhones. It would be a matter of finding the right components and doing a make/make install if you know what you are doing. Not to mention, it would help make the mac mini more of a viable carputer. Right now, it looks like Linux has a better offering than what I found with Mac (forum information at mp3car.com).
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

- 160 gigs of music on tap, with a remote
- play DVD's without needed a seperate DVD player
- network multiple monitors
- custom interfaces
- WiFi, internet on the road w/ air card
- modular design so you can integrate satellite radio, GPS, bluetooth, etc. later

You can get all of this from a high-end stereo, but last I checked that would run you north of $1,200. A decent car PC can be done for $400-500. Some assembly required though.
All the bells and whistles I've put together for this thing has totaled closer to $1200 if I would have paid out of pocket. Of course, this is from things like sunlight readable display, 300GB 7200 rpm 2.5" drive. With the right hardware controllers and software configuration modules, I could replace my HVAC controls so it would be handled by the carputer (still working on writing this though... not easy and the servos aren't cheap due to the payload requirements).

Other features I'm planning on adding.
- Backup/dash camera
- Extra screen(s) to redirect 2nd source audio to
- Mythbox/Boxee integration
- Realtime ODBII information (like a scangage on acid)
- Additional VFD information scrolling RSS feeds (not complete yet)
- Glow/Strobe Controller (this one is going to be AWESRAM!)
- DSP controller
- Alarm integration

A carputer is like having the best headunit you can possibly purchase with the ability to make it even better by adding whatever modules you want to throw at it. If you know what you are doing, you can even go as far as writing new modules with custom hardware interfaces. Anything you can do with a computer system currently, can be done with a carputer. So if I wanted to add in a 7 point articulated robot arm to make and serve up Martinis, I could... and control it all with the carputer.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

oh oh oh me next, me next!!!

Quick Reply: Carputer: WIP