Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Check out this OBDII reader!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Check out this OBDII reader!!!!!

Hey all, just thought i would show this OBDII reader i installed from Brockway Engineering.

The readings come up right on your screen. If you dont have a screen Brockway makes a unit with one also.

This thing is awesome. It takes like 8 diff readings like engine coolant temp, intake air temp, rpm, gas economy, and many more options/accessories (including a 0-60 timer) to play with. Any ?'s let me know?

Check one out at www.brockwayengineering.com
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you get the steering wheel?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, that's wicked.

as a side note on the steering wheel though, i say lose the scion badge. it looks horrendously out of whack.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It looks pretty cool but it's so big. Does it only work with TVs or is there another display?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah they have another unit called the R920 that has a screen built into the actual unit. Has the same readings and ease of install.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

What would you even use this for? i realize it reads the obdii ... but why would you need a visual read-out of this? And on a side note.. i hope you didnt have that professionally installed.. because honestly, it looks horrible in that spot.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jones75254
Yeah they have another unit called the R920 that has a screen built into the actual unit. Has the same readings and ease of install.
I am waiting for the R2D2 model............
Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What would you use this for?? Our cars only show 3 things guage wise, the speed (which is only accurate with stock size wheels/tires), the rpm, and the amount of gas remaining. This shows you a REAL TIME reading of your engine coolant temp., intake air temp., ACTUAL vehicle speed (whether or not u hav 15's or 19's), rpm's, gas economy including estimated miles per gallon both short term or long trip, mass air flow, manifold absolute pressure, ignition timing, o2 sensor, battery voltage, and more. It also has a cable that plugs directly into the unit that is compatible with the A/F wideband offered by Innovate to show very accurate A/F ratios. It can also take 0-60 times as well. If you cant see the benefit of having all these features displayed digitally right in front of your eyes without all those guages I dont know what to tell you, LOL. If you dont understand completely what some of the above readings mean, research them a little and you will see their benefit. Like anything else this is an accessory that you may want or not. Its really fun is all i can say!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, touche OldYeller, was a good one.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what did the unit set you back?????
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The model i have, the R2000 is $299
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Time for a threadjack!!!!

For those of you who like these features but don't have a tv to display it or want to spend quite that much, www.scanguage.com has a similar alternative.

www.scanguage.com

Either one of these devices provide valuable information without having to add multiple guages. Plus you get to read trouble codes without buying more equipment and you get a full trip computer just like the big cars. I've noticed an increase in my mileage since I installed the Scanguage because I watch the MPG and altered my driving to make it better.

jones75254 I'm not trying to steal your thunder. I'm just pointing out another option for people who see value in what you have but don't like the packaging or price. I think you'll get a lot of attention if you put up more info about the performance features like the 0 - 60 time, etc.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah there are other OBDII readers out there for sure. And the scan guage is cheaper but is also cheaper looking and chinsy IMO. It IS a cheaper alternative. The scan guage doesnt show as many readings at once either. Moreover it has a dull black and white screen whereas the Brockway unit has option of other colors for the R920, red and blue are two options i believe. And the R2000 shows the readings right on your screen in large text. This is just a different OBDII reader, yes a bit more in price. I have learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. If money is very tight, then yes, you have to do what you have to do. Its just a preference thing, everyone has different views and diff taste.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The Scanguage looks just fine to me. It's not chinsy. It has an LCD display so it looks kind of like a calculator but it's very easy to read and is lit up by LEDs with 63 possible colors so you can match it to other things in the car or just find a color you like.

I was just posting about something related and you decided to degrade it. At least it isn't a huge box stuck to the front of the dash. It displays 4 items at a time which is more than what I see displayed in your pics or is listed on the Brockway Engineering site. Once again, the Scanguage is completely self contained for less than $170. It's not $300 plus several hundred more for a tv to make it useful. The 920 does have a display but it looks like it's 5 times the size of a Scanguage.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You like the scan guage, thats your choice and your taste as far as appearance. You went the cheaper route and have a functional OBDII reader, great. Personally, i dont like its appearance, thats me, its not personal man, LOL. Im glad you have something you like. I like the appearance and the functions of the Brockway unit better. To me its looks a bit more hi-tech. And yes, the background of the scan guage can change, but it stil looks like a calculator. The Brockway's are very bright and color text (R920). Its just a preference thing. Does the scan guage have an A/F ratio inlet? Does it take 0-60 times? Does it have a shift light inlet? (which Brockway has a cool shift light option that you can change settings and plugs right into the unit as a plug-n-play) This is what im talking about when i say i like the additional options the Brockway units provide. Everyone will make their own choice depending on their preference. I am just letting them know about this one.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Brockway Engineering is a performance related company, that's why their OBD2
readers also have external inputs for A/F ratio or Boost, shift light and acceleration
timer options. That being said, the closest comparison to the R920 or R2000 is
maybe the Greddy Informeter, which costs more and does not have as many features.
The Scangauge is handy, but not targeted at performance applications.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member

Any updates on the R2000? How has it been working? I'm considering either the R2000
or R920 for my girlfriends xA.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You like the scan guage, thats your choice and your taste as far as appearance. You went the cheaper route and have a functional OBDII reader, great. Personally, i dont like its appearance, thats me, its not personal man, LOL. Im glad you have something you like. I like the appearance and the functions of the Brockway unit better. To me its looks a bit more hi-tech. And yes, the background of the scan guage can change, but it stil looks like a calculator. The Brockway's are very bright and color text (R920). Its just a preference thing. Does the scan guage have an A/F ratio inlet? Does it take 0-60 times? Does it have a shift light inlet? (which Brockway has a cool shift light option that you can change settings and plugs right into the unit as a plug-n-play) This is what im talking about when i say i like the additional options the Brockway units provide. Everyone will make their own choice depending on their preference. I am just letting them know about this one.
I can see where all these hi-pro features could really make a difference in your vehicle... especially the shift light. Does that work well with your automatic? I think the hi-tech styling goes well with your hotrod pedals. You should stick the other xB badge on the Brock unit. that would look awesome.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Supertech
I can see where all these hi-pro features could really make a difference in your vehicle... especially the shift light. Does that work well with your automatic? I think the hi-tech styling goes well with your hotrod pedals. You should stick the other xB badge on the Brock unit. that would look awesome.
Give the guy a break. He was excited about something that he installed on his
car. Don't you get excited about something that you are happy with? He seems to
have a lot invested in his ride... show some respect.