Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Checked out my Stock HU...extra wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Checked out my Stock HU...extra wires?

I was taking out my stock HU just to see what the connectors looked like. I was thinking of buying a bazooka sub and was trying to gauge how difficult routing the wiring would be, when I found something.

I have the standard set of wires connected to my HU, but there's one connector that isn't connected to anything, it is just dangling there.

I also don't have a plug that is shown in the following picture:

The plug with the red circle is just a metal plate. Is that a pop-out deal where I can remove it? Also, what is that plug for?

Sorry, I'm newbish when it comes to car audio, I'm just confused as to what that extra cable was for. I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of it since I had to put everything back together to go to work, but I do have some free time and will try to take pictures of it if need be.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Which stock headunit is it?
That little extra plug is for the iPod control, which the bone stock one doesn't have.

The step up headunit has that connection.

The one on the right looks to be the 08 upgraded HU.

The Scion Bazooka harness will plug right into the existing harness and then into the unit.

Super easy to do.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's the stock head unit for an 06 scion xa. So if I had opted for the ipod control from the dealer, they would have had to swap out the entire HU? Also, would you have any idea what that extra wiring that is dangling from the back of my HU would be for? It looks like it would fit in that ipod connector, it's just not there.

So the bazooka harness plugs in line to the existing wiring? Sounds good.

Yea, I ripped the picture off from another post... but anywho, would connecting an aftermarket sub to my existing audio setup be more pain than it's worth? I'm not looking for anything obnoxiously loud, just a little more bass to the overall sound. I think my best route is the bazooka method, but I can get some pretty good parts and install discounts at my job. They just don't offer bazooka products.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, the iPod control would have been a new headunit. (I'll be selling mine soon, if you're interested)

The additional cables plug into the different headunit.

The Bazooka would plug directly into the existing harness. Adding a standalone sub to that HU isn't that big of an issue, but you will need to buy a line out converter and solder it in line to the harness. So it's a bit more work.

The biggest issue with subs on the stock headunit is that you don't have any headunit control for subwoofer level. All of those adjustments need to be made via the amplifier.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, at my job the installation dept. is pretty good at what they do, so I think I'll just go that route. I don't need anything loud, just a bit more thump, as well as alleviating the bass output from the stock speakers.
I'll tell them about soldering a line-out converter and see if they'll be able to do that. I can get an Alpine sub and Fosgate amp for pretty cheap (cheaper than the bazooka route, probably a bit better sound quality?) so if they're up to installing it I'll go that route.

Thanks for the clarification. =)

Also, I have a Zune, so the iPod connector doesn't help me any. =)
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

BOO! ZUNE!

Sorry, I'm a total Apple *****.

Yea, you'll have better output with a separate sub and amp... have you considered something like a Basslink? I think I'm gonna go that route myself.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ein311
I'll tell them about soldering a line-out converter and see if they'll be able to do that.
NO! Get a standard AND a reverse factory connector w/harness from eBay. Cut and splice into that guy so that the stock harness (in case any fubars happen) stays unaltered. Its a cheep way to get around cutting the actual car wiring harness. Should be around $10 for both if you buy from same seller and try to combine shipping.

BTW, unless you want to be able to fade the sub output with F/R fader, use the front speaker signal instead of the rears. I had mine connected at first to the rears, but it is attenuated for the wimpy rear speaks. Sounds much better off the fronts, but you need a bass **** on the amp to adjust the volume.

And mount the LOC behind the HU and run long RCAs to your amp. Then if you decide on aftermarket HU later, no need to repurchase and re-run the RCAs.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, the installers actually had a harness that plugged into my HU. I guess it's the same thing for a bunch of other Toyotas (that's what they told me) so they were used to it. I'm pretty sure the sub is set to the same wiring or whatever as the front speakers, since I did notice that the rear speakers are totally lame.

I guess the rockford amp I got had a bass control **** on it, and it's wired to a spot under my dash that I can adjust the bass if I wanted to. Right now I just have the one 10" Alpine I bought sitting in a box behind the rear seats and it sounds good enough for me.

Only cost me $135 all together so I think I made out pretty well.