Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Constant power - cell phone question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Constant power - cell phone question

On my xB above the glove box is what appears to be a blank space for somthing I assume like a switch or maybe something I need like a cig. lighter. Although I dont need the lighter I would like a spot with constant power so if go to the store or somewhere where I turn the car off I can continue to charge my cell phone. Does anyone sell something I can use for a constant power source that would fit in that spot?

One of only two complaints/annoyances so far about my xB, no contant power to charge a phone. Second is no factory cruise but thats for a different post.

Cheers
Rob
Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Moved to xB Ice & Interior but left you a shadow ;-)
Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For some reason, I think they knew they were going to use it for ipods eventually because in the new xB's you can get the ipod hookup which actually utilizes that small punchout.

Though this doesn't answer your question for your product search, I figured I might let you know that little bit of info. let me look for some things and get back with ya.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
For some reason, I think they knew they were going to use it for ipods eventually because in the new xB's you can get the ipod hookup which actually utilizes that small punchout.

Though this doesn't answer your question for your product search, I figured I might let you know that little bit of info. let me look for some things and get back with ya.
I was told the punch-out was for the VIP tables.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Get a lighter socket and wire it up right to the battery. Mount it where ever you find a suitable spot.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u could rewire the factory cig lighter if u wanted.. Just cut the black power wire connected to it, and attach it to a constant power source in the car - like the 12v ignition wire or directly to the battery
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The primary reason that hole is there is for access to one of the bolts holding the dash assembly on...

I don't know of any pre-made aftermarket items for your use, but one could certainly whip up a continuously powered connection from the fuse block that could power a charge cable that came out there...

Myself, I just have a multi-tap off the cig lighter (which is switched) so I can charge the cellphone in the xB, but I rarely hook up to it. I have a massive batt on mine and I only charge up about once a week or so, anyway.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

I installed a Continuous cigarette lighter plug in my stock scion arm rest. I just drilled a hole for it and fished the wire to the fuse box. I tied it in to the hazard lights which are a constant 12volts dc non switched. Very easy to do about an hour or so and about 6 bucks of parts and wire.