Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Converting to MP3???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Converting to MP3???

Sorry if this is a repeat - my search came up blank

Finding software to convert MP3 to WMV (or other) is easy - I can't find the reverse. My computer will not let me get around Windows media player so burning in data format isn't an option (driving me nuts). I can't even figure out how to uninstall windows media player - kind of desperate I know. What do you guys use? Preferrably free. Or how do I get my computer to cooperate?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the software i have is something i picked up from Compusa.. Magix makes it called the Audio Cleaning Lab 2005.. it allows you load what you want and create anything.. WMA's, MP3's or create a regular audio cd.. the software was $40 it's worked very well.. lots of fun, it's like having a recording studio on my computer.. equalizer, echo, reverb, volume, all sorts of adjustments.. yeah sorry it's not free, but $40 isn't too bad considering what it does..

i can export any audio i load into the program as mp3's or wma's.. etc.. then i usually use Nero to drag and drop into a data disc to be burned...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was having the same problem... i searched all over to find freeware that did the conversion but to no avail.... until finally somone on this site directed me to one. so i converted my entire music library (very large) and put them all on CD's... and oh the irony, the converted ones would not play in my car. lol. i guess i shoulda tried it out before putting everything on CD. anywayz, i've heard read once or twice from other peeps on the forum that converted ones don't always play. The cheap route is to probably buy some quality software. I'm just getting a new CD/DVD player.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

try dBPowerAmp
Old 02-23-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^^ I second dbpoweramp. Free. Awesome.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check out versiontracker.com. i just found a few listings on there. My advice is don't deal with wma unless you have to. Even when i used a Windows PC i wasn't to keen on the Windows media format. Stick with MP3 and AAC both open standards. IE not controlled by one monopo....errr company

A great FREE program for managing your MP3s is iTunes. It'll convert some formats too.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get limewire pro and get all the free software,to unistall windows media player just go to control panel and click on add and remove program you should see it in the list of programs...
Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i think wma sounds better than mp3,and mp4 sounds even better than the two...
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by johnnyicesae
check out versiontracker.com. i just found a few listings on there. My advice is don't deal with wma unless you have to. Even when i used a Windows PC i wasn't to keen on the Windows media format. Stick with MP3 and AAC both open standards. IE not controlled by one monopo....errr company

A great FREE program for managing your MP3s is iTunes. It'll convert some formats too.
AAC= iTunes = Apple = controlled by one company.

CDex is a good mp3 ripper...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrong.

AAC is an open standard developed by Fraunhofer (IE the same people that created the MP3 formate we all know and use, if memory serves). Stands for Advanced Audio Coding. Sure Apple uses it but it is still an open standard. Apple's copy protection on the AAC files sold at the itunes music store is proprietary but the file format in itself is not.

AAC is the audio part of the MPEG4 video standard. The file extention for AAC is .m4a.(.m4p if bought from itms) The mp4 format mentioned earlier in this thread is AAC.

So to sum. AAC=Open STANDARD.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

AAC was actually developed by Dolby Labs, but other than that you are right, Johnny.