Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Custom front dash xB subwoofer enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default Custom front dash xB subwoofer enclosure

I thought if this last night, basically a ported fiberglass enclosure from the cubby to the cupholders using an ed 6.5 sub. Here are some very crude drawings but you get the idea.

tell me what you think?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think I like the idea. But, what about cup holders???
Old 01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this would ruin the sound of your front stage! Just my opinion. I like the sub(s)to be in the rear of vehicle.

John
Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

well im not worried about not having cupholder. And i think the 6.5 wont be super loud so it shouldnt mess up the front stage
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say ditch the cup holders and go for it. May be your so make the enclosure and keep it molded to the whole console and paint it.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why dont you try firing the sub down, might make it sound better. If your firing it up for looks then disregard my comments.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no offence, but unless that box is ported (cant tell if those are aero ports or cup holders in your drawing haha), your not gonna hear it as much as you think, even with it being right by you.. and firing it down would make hella difference. your also gonna hear alot of distorion unless you use a very high end sub
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

id leave the cup holders and mold a sub into that front piece in front of the cup holders the piece that wraps around
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
I think this would ruin the sound of your front stage! Just my opinion. I like the sub(s)to be in the rear of vehicle.

John
the sound from subwoofers (when crossed over properly) is omnidirectional... basically meaning that with proper tuning and setup, you shouldn't be able to tell where the sub bass is coming from at all.... I forget what frequency it is that the sound waves become omnidirectional... but if the sub was crossed over around 60Hz, it'd work beautifully!!!!

LonelyRaven had a good explanation of it... Something to the effect that below a certain frequency, the sound waves become spaced apart at a greater distance than the distance between our ears. We can tell where a sound comes from according to which ear the wave hits first and which ear the wave hits second and how much time difference there is between them. if the wave is bigger than the space between our ears, then your whole head is engulfed by the wave at once causing us to loose direction of the sound.... Why do you think it's hard to find the subwoofer with your ears in a good home theater setup??

In SQ competition, a LOT of installs include front mounted subwoofers.. (remember gary biggs's monte carlo (or cutlass or something like that) that had the 8" Kicker L7 in the front of the dash for SQ only??).....this will actually do better at a SQ competition with the stage because instead of having to fool the brain into thinking all the bass is up front, it actually IS up front....

BTW: the main reason people can tell you have subs in the back (aside from the BOOOOM) is the resonance of the vehicle, port noise, or other factor aside from the actual sound the sub produces....
Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^ x about a billion.

My friend w/ a van has an 18 in the back, and 2 700's up front. 700's are playing 40Hz to 120Hz and the 18 playing 40Hz down. Works insanely awesome...even w/ the 18 off

It is right around 60Hz that people stop noticing directionality, but the steepness of the slope also affects it. 63Hz 12dB/octave will still be partially directional.

Basically...do it up front...you have to tune it, but when done right it's awesome.

Sub in the front passenger foot well. Don't drool too much over the NSX Mikey's car sounded AWESOME...I got to listen to it at CES...very nice.

http://carstereo.com/ces_view.cfm?profile_id=18
Old 01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06fmtc
no offence, but unless that box is ported (cant tell if those are aero ports or cup holders in your drawing haha), your not gonna hear it as much as you think, even with it being right by you.. and firing it down would make hella difference. your also gonna hear alot of distorion unless you use a very high end sub
well those are what i hope can be ports, i dunno if there would be enough room though for them. and for the people who doubt these little beast take a look at this video
http://vincentroberts.com/ED72.WMV
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not ported thought... sealed
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending on the quality of the midbass in the setup, I'd say go ported....different strokes for different folks though..
Old 01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Port noise might give away it's location and to do a ported enclosure just might be impossible with the space he has up front.

Run it mono and keep the volume down and you might be able to cross it over a little high(around 350hz w/ a 24db/oct crossover), a wavelength at 350hz is alittle over 3ft, so still harder to detect. My reasoning is that(assuming you are using door mounted midbasses) the pathlengths will be more equal between the drivers or passengers door and the center console. Essentially you'll be using it as a midbass center channel that plays low to help solidify your up front bass/soundstage. You'll still want subs in the back though. And you'll have to play with the gain/crossover point to do it. Should sound really good, or could sound pretty bad too because of phasing.

Good luck!!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What in gods name makes you think you are going to be able to hear that tiny little thing. 6.5 inches come on get at least twice that size.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Digital Designs makes a nice 6.5" long throw subwoofer.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you could easily fit an 8 up there. sweet. i'd miss my cupholders tho.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Ericvpellegrino
What in gods name makes you think you are going to be able to hear that tiny little thing. 6.5 inches come on get at least twice that size.
You'd be surprised what a single 700 will pull off
Old 01-27-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Originally Posted by jallamas

John
the sound from subwoofers (when crossed over properly) is omnidirectional... basically meaning that with proper tuning and setup, you shouldn't be able to tell where the sub bass is coming from at all.... I forget what frequency it is that the sound waves become omnidirectional... but if the sub was crossed over around 60Hz, it'd work beautifully!!!!

LonelyRaven had a good explanation of it... Something to the effect that below a certain frequency, the sound waves become spaced apart at a greater distance than the distance between our ears. We can tell where a sound comes from according to which ear the wave hits first and which ear the wave hits second and how much time difference there is between them. if the wave is bigger than the space between our ears, then your whole head is engulfed by the wave at once causing us to loose direction of the sound.... Why do you think it's hard to find the subwoofer with your ears in a good home theater setup??

In SQ competition, a LOT of installs include front mounted subwoofers.. (remember gary biggs's monte carlo (or cutlass or something like that) that had the 8" Kicker L7 in the front of the dash for SQ only??).....this will actually do better at a SQ competition with the stage because instead of having to fool the brain into thinking all the bass is up front, it actually IS up front....

BTW: the main reason people can tell you have subs in the back (aside from the BOOOOM) is the resonance of the vehicle, port noise, or other factor aside from the actual sound the sub produces....
I learn something everyday! Hey whatever happened to LonelyRaven?

John
Old 01-27-2006, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Box

I say F the cup holders do the custom box. I think it will look bad ___ sound good and score points and shows.

www.ClubXb.com

Quick Reply: Custom front dash xB subwoofer enclosure