Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Custom Subwoofer box under seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

ya 1/2 isnt that great you really want 3/4 mdf but i would guess that he used 1/2 inch to get a lil more air space ... i know when we build custom boxes at my shop we always use 3/4 mdf .... that might also be why there such a good price
Old 01-13-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey superjeer you wanna make me one of those bro :?: I like it and I want it, but I don't want to build it. PM me we'll talk about it
Old 01-13-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

PM'd :-) I'll build these for people that want them, but the only way to make it cost effective for *points at screen* people is if I can make three per side at once time to cut down on time/labor.

Oh, and I'm cool to trade these for stuff, since I don't have any spending money anymore. I like intakes, headers, goldlines, amps..
Old 01-13-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Also, I dunno if there's anyone on the forums close to me, but I'd like to get a third party opinion on how they sound. Anyone? ;-)
Old 01-13-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So exactly what are your boxes made of and what size do they hold?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mine? they are 3/4" MDF.. about .7 feet-cubed or so. Designed for a rear firing 8" sub, as shown in pic.

here's some more pics from before it was covered and installed.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So do they just slide in or do you have to remove the seats to put them in? Could they modified to hold 10"?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you have to remove the seat (four bolts, not hard). The harness for the sensor had to be moved too (it was a bracket that hung down right in the way, not hard either).

Do you want it to hold a 10" and fire backwards or down or up? All are possible.. but 8" would fit and sound best, given the space, convential wisdom would say anyway ;-). You'd lose a couple inches in hieght to fire a sub up or down, so the volume would decrees a lot (it would be easier to biuld though ) If you wanted a 10 to fire back.. that would invade the foot well area a lot. I'm not even sure how I'd pull that off...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have e-mail, e-mail me at kairoh@comcast.net, so we can discuss this without having to write in the forum.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

there are 5 bolts to remove the seat lol not 4
Old 01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah yeah, two in the rear middle. I remember now. They're fun to get back in with the box there too
Old 01-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

The one thing that you need to do is not having the sub visable mine points directly up at the passengers ___. this way no one kicks your sub and it looks alot cleaner. it does restrict your leg room but if you build a smaller box (which ill post soon) it dosent take that much. Ill have these posted soon...... i love that box you made but im just not hot about the 8 inch sub and it pointing towards the back seat passengers. Great job otherwise!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea...id be wary of people kicking the sub...make sure u get some grills
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

bumping this back up with a ??

I don't actually have my xB yet, and have never looked, but is there anything under the drivers seat? i.e., could you put a box under each front seat for more bass/sound?

Also... the rear firing box posted above, was a price ever set for it, as I missed it if so.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

MussBuss - can you (or anyone else) post some pics of these "underseat" boxes. I'm intrigued. I was planning on a 12" in a custom box in the hatch (where the spare net is). I'm curious to know if the underseat idea is the better way to go...[/img
put your sub in your trunk space unless you want something for show or shock value. sound waves travel alot better when it has room to travel and a nice hatch to bounce off of. a 'serious sub' takes an enclosure that does not fit under your seat (just the facts, dont kill the messenger) so therefore the trunk is really the only place to put any half way decent sub w/ sub box.

you can stick a subwoofer anywhere maybe the glove box but it doesnt make it right. i have a buddy with an xb with the same set up. it sounds o.k. but even he knows spl levels wont be had their [under seat]

depending on what SOUND you want, it is your choice, but looks is a different story, it looks nice but SQ and SPL is another story.

Rockdieseldasoundking
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

many people are looking for a "serious sub"... only some addition to the lower end of the frequency. I for one NEED the space in the rear and must consider other options, even if that means sacrificing a bit of sound to do it.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
bumping this back up with a ??

I don't actually have my xB yet, and have never looked, but is there anything under the drivers seat? i.e., could you put a box under each front seat for more bass/sound?

Also... the rear firing box posted above, was a price ever set for it, as I missed it if so.
There's a jack and a bracket to hold the jack under the drivers seat. Someday I'll get around to building the box for under there. I'll just move the jack to the back.

I've not sold any of these yet. If I could get three people to say they wanted one then I think I could sell them at a decent price (plus shipping and sub) because most of the time and labor is spent in setting up for the cuts. If I can run a few boards through for each cut that will cut the labor part way down.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've not sold any of these yet. If I could get three people to say they wanted one then I think I could sell them at a decent price (plus shipping and sub) because most of the time and labor is spent in setting up for the cuts. If I can run a few boards through for each cut that will cut the labor part way down.
Well, Say there were three buyers. How much would each pay including shipping speaker and box shipped to 90028?
LOL. I want a price!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

depending on the price, i could be number 2

zip 01757
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What about a 12"? That have them on ebay for $80 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCION...WDVWQQtcZphoto

Quick Reply: Custom Subwoofer box under seat