Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DC / AC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DC / AC

I've got an iRiver HP-120 mp3 player that I had an in dash input installed so I can play on my system. The only problem is the geniuses over a iRiver decided to make the HP-120 run on 5v DC. This, of coarse means that it is down right impossible, I think, to find an aftermarket car power kit for it (iRiver does not make one). It seems like they chose the only voltage that there isn't an adapter for. So, I have two questions. First, is there a DC to DC 5v cig lighter adapter out there somewhere that I have overlooked? If not, I was going to install a DC to AC power inverter and just plug it into that. Anyone installed these? Any reason not to such as power problems etc. How hard is install? I have very little electrical experience, but thought that could be a good project.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

could something like this work?

http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant...ory_Code=6+USB
Old 03-22-2004, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was just at RADIOSHACK and saw one with selectable power output..i think it was from 2.5v up to 12v..

PEACE
Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh I saw those at Radio Shack as well. Problem is that there is no 5v on it. There is 4.5 that won't power up and then there is 6v that I'm thinking will fry the player. It is amazing to me that they can make a 3" by 2" devise that can hold thousands of hours of music, but can't seem to finish development of a 5v car power adapter that customer service told me lots of people have been asking for. Anyway, sounds like I'm going to have to put in an AC inverter. Anyone got one of these?