Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: What did you use to sound deaden the your hatch?
Dynamat/eDead/other
87.50%
Expanding spray foam
0%
Rubber spray
0%
Loose/sheet foam
0%
OTHER??
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Deadening the xB hatch... best material?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Deadening the xB hatch... best material?

I've been thoroughly examining the inside of the rear hatch, and I've been looking around for materials to use to deaden it, and it looks like it's going to be a huge pain. The openings are small, and I didn't realize how little space there was between the outer metal and the inner frame.

That said, I've used several kinds of deadening materials before, and I'm looking for opinions on what would be the best to use (or all three):

* Dynamat/other brands: Probably the best for large flat areas within the hatch, but very difficult to apply in one piece. I'm planning on purchasing a moderate quantity of eDead next week, so I'm not starting anything yet. I may use scraps for the hatch.

* expanding spray foam: Good for working into nooks and crannies, but will fill up the space and poses a moderate danger of panel warping. VERY MESSY.

* spray rubber (Plasti-Dip). Somewhat similar to Dynamat materials, but requires many coats to be effective.

* Foam: I haven't used this for deadening before, but it may be the easiest to just stuff in there and be done with it. I suspect it will have only a moderate effect. I will be putting it between the sheet deadeners and the carpet when I do the floor.

What have you used??
Old 04-27-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I used dynamat... that is, I started. It was 20 degrees outside when I started, so I couldn't feel my hands after getting a couple strips applied... so I can't really review it that well yet.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

RAAMAT or ED, use small peices.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did mine with overlapping pieces of raammat, then stuffed it with leftover fiberglas house insulation.

Made a world of difference...

Careful not to overdo it, or you'll need stronger struts. My hatch barely stays up in cold weather because of the extra weight.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mixing two methods works well. I used 4" x 6" pieces of edead to do everything I could reach through the holes, then I stuffed the rest of it with pieces of foam. The foam actually made a big difference. I bet house insulation would do a nice job too. Just be sure that no moisture gets in there or it will make a mess. Be sure to wear gloves too. There are a few sharp spots in there. If you are getting rattles from subwoofers, try putting felt on the hatch where it hits the rubber bump stops. They make self adhesive circles about the size of a nickel that are used on furniture feet. They will add just a little tension to the door and keep it a little tighter when closed.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:04 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Keep your house insulation to your house. ED works great, use it, don't look back. I love it.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have the pink stuff in my hatch and it works GREAT!!!! My hatch moves like crazy when the subs are cranking and I don't have any rattles back there. That space is completely sealed from outside elements so house insulation is perfect. It's light, easy to pack in there, cheap, and works well.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Looney
RAAMAT
I have Raamat throughout my entire car (hatch, floor, and all doors).. love the stuff...