Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY after market gauge installsame as the poll i started

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After building the brass assembly as described in the write-up and screwing around trying to get it threaded in the female oil pressure hole, I gave up! This 1/8 NPT MALE fitting will not work. So don't try it! I did find the correct adapter thru eGauges. Phone: 1-800-303-6211 (517-625-1884 outside the U.S.) www.eGauges.com
Part No: OTOD: 1/8 BSP Male, 1/8 BSP Female, two 1/8NPT Female Outlets $19.95
This adapter has a male BSP fitting that screws into the block and a female BSP on the other end for the stock oil pressure switch. On opposing sides are 2 female 1/8 NPT holes for your aftermarket oil pressure sender and oil temperature sender. Be assured that there is plenty of room to install this adapter in the block AND your stock pressure switch in the other end. You will not have to remove the intake manifold to install this little bugger. But you will have to remove the lower plastic cover panels. You will also need plenty of wrenches, Teflon pipe joint compound and plenty of bandages for your scraped knuckles! It was very easy to install the OTOD adapter. It took me 4 hours to complete the installation with no leaks! Oh, the oil temperature sender doesn't work worth a damn. I have three gauges directly to the left of the speedo. They are VDO Vision: Water temp, Vacuum, and Pyrometer. I also have an Autometer quad pillar pod with VDO Vision: Analog Clock, Outside Temperature, Volt Meter and Oil Pressure.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here's what BSP Stand for..

Jap Car (Scion) use British Standard Pipe (BSP).

BSP threads sizes refer to the bore size of a pipe for which the thread is suitable, and had to be fine because of the thin walls into which they were cut. This makes them appear to be very mysterious to the uninitiated, because their nominal sizes are thus much larger than the designation suggests. Again they retain the Whitworth threadform. Pipe threads were routinely used on carburettor and petrol fittings, and for drain-plugs, and for some reason Vincents chose to use the 1/8 in. size for certain mechanical items where a very fine thread was required, such as tappets, no doubt because they already possessed the tooling and didn't want to introduce exceptional CEI items. So beware of 1/8 BSP and a 3/8 in. CEI thread which it is easily confused with (and which must not be used lest damage be caused).
Old 01-13-2007, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What size is the heater hose?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Alright, so I'm looking to do the same set up (or similar anyway) -- These were all mechanical gauges right?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Re: DIY after market gauge installsame as the poll i started

Originally Posted by islandromeo81
its the same as the poll i started befor i did this lol
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...603386#1603386

please people remember no one here on scion life or meself are responsable for any screw ups u make please be careful work slowly and cleanly. u will be fine

remove the grill

remove 5 10mm bolts

locate the oil pressure switch circled in green

unplug the sensor

remove the oil pressure switch i used a 15/16th deep socket i belive

remove the heater hose

water hose bottom remove

parts u will need

do not put the sensors together yet ths is what the oil sensor should u like

where to cut the water hose

eyelit on the water temp sensor because u will need to ground the sender so the signal wire will read acuretly

what the water hose should look like u will need to modify the hose adapter so that the bottom of the sensor is in the water path as u can see i had to cut the top nipple off and the sensor was turn into the fitting the sizes are very close so put some apoxy on the treds then thread the sensor into the hose adapter dont forget to put a new hose clamp on all the ends that u made by cutting the hose

assember the oil pressure sesnsor on the block please be carful the adapter will feel like it wont thread in but it will go in but please people be carful i am not responsable if u messup the side of your block make sure that tha after market sender is pointing twards the transmisson if u have a hard tome putting the oil sensors on the block dont be afraid to take the intake manifold off to get room to work with thats how i was able to get such a clear picutre to show u here

where the wire should be comming from dont forget to put the water hoses back on and titen all the clamps securly but dont over tight the green wire is for the water temp the orange for the oil pressure and the white goes to the white wire with the blue strip in the o2 sesnor and conescts to your a/r gauge

test the gauge and make sure its working right

wire it up where ever u have chosen to place your gauges and your done now sit back and enjoy the hard work u just went though

UPDATE 5/30/06 finished the write up v1.0 if there any thing u need clarified and explaned better please let me know

UPDATE 5/30/06 well its done (1:15pm hawaii time) and here is the proof now the only thing to do is the :write up i warn u after all that is probely gonna be pretty long but i feel its allworth it

UPDATE 5/30/06 man i need to rally the trops lol how about some shout outs lol this progect is taking alot of trial and error but im getting everything ironed out and it should make every one els fast with less suprises

WELL UPDATE 5/29/06 spent my memorial day working on this man i got about 20 new grey hairs and i know people have dont post on buying adapters for the oil filter and radiator to hook up but my way of doing cost all of maby $10 woth of adapters so i think mine a bit cheaper lol man im very tired its 3pm right now i still gotta mount the gauges i will get a write up asap maby ill start on it tuesday

im gonna be installing water temp,oil pressure and voltage gauges in my box with in the next cople day i have the time to do a DIY if any one in interested let me know if it worth the time to document
Great write up, but do you have any instructions for the tc fellows out there.. lol
would you know if the o2 sensor wireing is the same in the tc as it is in the xb? white wire with blue?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just curious, why didn't you use the oil filter sandwich adapter like these:
http://www.glowshift.com/oilsandwichadapters.html

I'm adding an oil temp and oil pressure guage and I'm going to use the adapter.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by violent_b

because i have worked on cars my whole life and am use to doing things the old fashion way by taking the pressure from where the factory mesures it .. and the oil filter adapter i seen up priced from to expensive to the glowshift price of $29.99 i spent $12.00 on everything i needed so i felt it was more cost efective and it keeps everything hidded there isnt a odd color piece right by my oil filter for everyone to see im not much into flash under the hood i like to try to keep thinks hidden
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

because i have worked on cars my whole life and am use to doing things the old fashion way by taking the pressure from where the factory mesures it .. and the oil filter adapter i seen up priced from to expensive to the glowshift price of $29.99 i spent $12.00 on everything i needed so i felt it was more cost efective and it keeps everything hidded there isnt a odd color piece right by my oil filter for everyone to see im not much into flash under the hood i like to try to keep thinks hidden
I see. this adapter won't stand out since the oil filter is lower in the engine compartment, but the price can be a deterent. I'm all about saving money.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see. this adapter won't stand out since the oil filter is lower in the engine compartment, but the price can be a deterent. I'm all about saving money.
i dont think there's a scion owner out here who dosnt wanna save money lol
Old 01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: DIY after market gauge installsame as the poll i started

Great write up, but do you have any instructions for the tc fellows out there.. lol
would you know if the o2 sensor wireing is the same in the tc as it is in the xb? white wire with blue?[/quote]

im sorry to say no i dant have any info for the TC cause i dont have one and i dont know any one here in hilo hawaii that has one i would love to have a guinea pig to get the info on hopefully there's a tc owner out here that wasnt gauges .... all the TC's running around here not one is turbo i not sure if any are SC
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Normaly i hate shift lights, but the brite ones off of aftermarket tacks look cool when your doing a burnout. People outside of the car can count the gears as you smoke your tires. I like how scion gave my box a tack and not just a little crapy shift light. I was thinking about taking a autometer shift light and putting it on my insturment cluster, to look like its just an sftermarket \ tack. Has any one done this? By the way Nice job on the dash.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Originally Posted by dragonheart364
What size is the heater hose?
I also would like to know, and were can I find one?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info!

John
Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Here is a closer pic of the adapter for the heater hose
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Up dated Information

After building the brass assembly as described in the write-up and screwing around trying to get it threaded in the female oil pressure hole, I gave up! This 1/8 NPT MALE fitting will not work. So don't try it! I did find the correct adapter thru eGauges. Phone: 1-800-303-6211 (517-625-1884 outside the U.S.) www.eGauges.com
This adapter has a male BSP fitting that screws into the block and a female BSP on the other end for the stock oil pressure switch. On opposing sides are 2 female 1/8 NPT holes for your aftermarket oil pressure sender and oil temperature sender. Be assured that there is plenty of room to install this adapter in the block AND your stock pressure switch in the other end. You will not have to remove the intake manifold to install this little bugger. But you will have to remove the lower plastic cover panels. You will also need plenty of wrenches, Teflon pipe joint compound and plenty of bandages for your scraped knuckles! It was very easy to install the OTOD adapter. It took me 4 hours to complete the installation with no leaks! Oh, the oil temperature sender doesn't work worth a damn. I have three gauges directly to the left of the speedo. They are VDO Vision: Water temp, Vacuum, and Pyrometer. I also have an Autometer quad pillar pod with VDO Vision: Analog Clock, Outside Temperature, Volt Meter and Oil Pressure.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Heater Hose Size

I don't like the placement of the water temperature sender in the heater hose with the addition of Epoxy holding the sender on place. I installed my adapter in the main heater hose that runs from the radiator to the block. You can buy one from Autometer. They make a couple of different sizes for this application. To find out the correct diameter: Remove a bunch of antifreeze from the radiator. Use a vice grip to grab the spring loaded clamp. Remove the hose from the over flow tank. Measure the inside diameter of the hose. Even better go to Autometer.com and buy the 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" Hose adapter and return the one that's to big or small. These Hose adapters come pre-threaded for your water temperature sender and... a ground terminal. I'm using a VDO Vision Water Temp Gauge and it always reads 180 degrees F. once the engine is at operating temp. Oh, if you insist on tapping into a radiator hose Autometer offers two versions of those.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol thought this was for the speedo gauge
Old 02-09-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Default Re: Up dated Information

Originally Posted by BPG

Can you send me the exact same page that these pages are on. Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to Egauges.com then select Autometer (it's directly under the egauge logo) then select Autometer Accessories and mounting (it's all the way to the right) then select Radiator/heater hose Adapters for temp Senders.

For the 1/8 BSP Sender Adapter it's on Egauges home page directly under the 2 1/16" LED Shift Light Tachs! listing. It reads: 1/8 BSP Sender Adapter 1/8 BSP Male, 1/8 BSP Female, 2 X 1/8 NPT Female Great for using 1/8 NPT Senders on Japanese cars while retaining 1/8 BSP stock sender.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So basically part OTOD from www.egauges.com is all you need to hook this up, correct.

Thanks

John

Quick Reply: DIY after market gauge installsame as the poll i started