Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DVD Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DVD Question

i know this is probably one of the more redundant posts that you all will read today, but are there any DVD/MP3 players that fit with the stock cover closed that arent flip out. I know of the Eclipse and the Kenwood, but are there other models out there that i may consider? Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member

Go to Crutchfield.com. Under Car Products, they have an option that says "What fits my car". It should tell you everything that will fit.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the most popular one based on your description that i've seen is the kenwood DDX7015: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JTJBcrF...search=kenwood
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Pioneer AVIC-D1 will be out before too long. It's basically a double-DIN version of the AVIC-N1.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by High Contrast
The Pioneer AVIC-D1 will be out before too long. It's basically a double-DIN version of the AVIC-N1.
i thought i read somewhere that the AVIC-D1 wasn't going to be able to playback dvd movies and pioneer's press release doesn't say anything about it. anyone know for sure?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

What sucks is the new Pioneer AVIC-N1 cannot be defeated it uses the gyro and if it see's any vehicle motion it shuts off dvd playback and nav functions if you're wanting to go around the DVD/NAV while driving.

I've got the Kenwood DDX7015 in my xB. Here's some pics of it with the new spacers I just installed.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=552805#552805
It may fit different for the tC, I'm not sure, but I have seem them in a tC on here before. Here's another post about the Kenwood in the tC too:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47012
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icdedppl
i thought i read somewhere that the AVIC-D1 wasn't going to be able to playback dvd movies and pioneer's press release doesn't say anything about it. anyone know for sure?
It has been stated (although I'm sure anything could change since it isn't out) that it WILL NOT play DVD video. Honestly, can you think of a worse place to watch video on a 6.5 inch screen? Don't hang out in your car if you want to watch video. I'm personally glad it won't have DVD video - not that I wouldn't take it, but given a choice between video and a lower price, I'd take price any day. That's what we need here - some cheaper NAV decks. I'm all for it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iowagary
It has been stated (although I'm sure anything could change since it isn't out) that it WILL NOT play DVD video. Honestly, can you think of a worse place to watch video on a 6.5 inch screen? Don't hang out in your car if you want to watch video. I'm personally glad it won't have DVD video - not that I wouldn't take it, but given a choice between video and a lower price, I'd take price any day. That's what we need here - some cheaper NAV decks. I'm all for it.
I really don't think adding DVD video capability to a in-car nav deck adds anything to the price if they already use DVD-ROMs for the maps. It's sort of like home DVD players playing CDs or MP3 CDs. All the hardware is already there, it's just a matter of some software and they can do it. The only real reason an AVIC-D1 might not play DVD video is if the AVIC-D2 (which I just made up) will, and Pioneer can charge more for it.

The Eclipse units are looking better and better to me all the time.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While the technology is there, the companies adds to the price by advertising that it can play DVDs. So, though the company didn't really do anything except some extra coding, you can expect they'll increase the price by 20% just because they can.

I'm all for strictly NAV decks with AUX ports and reduced price (heart iPod). It would give us a certain flexibility. I do like the one that's been bounced around here for a while (Eclipse model I think) but it's too cost prohibitive right now for me.

-s