Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DVD system shorts out with Bazooka

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 AM

Default DVD system shorts out with Bazooka

Hi, I have a '06 Release Series 3.0 with the Alpine DVD system. I had a regular '05 model before this and when i got my 06 i had my bazooka tube sub transferred over too. Well it was fine for a while however the last 9 months to a year the DVD screens stopped working. They wont even turn on, there is no power getting to the screens. I traced it down to the bazooka so i disconnected the ground which was connected to one of the support brackets under the hidden compartment next to the spare tire. After doing so i tested the DVD screens, they worked again. I figured it was just a bad ground spot so i changed the ground to where it was connected in my 05 which was one of the bolts for the rear seat. This allowed both the sub and screens to work so i thought it was problem solved. Well about a month later same thing happened. Except this time the screens worked but would short out about 2 minutes or when i started driving. So this time i thought i figured it out. I connected the ground to where the whole radio system is grounded on the side by the drivers door. This seemed to work but again stopped working shortly after driving or a couple of minutes. I dont know what else to do nor have a ever heard of this type of thing happening with any electronics. I need help.

My 3 yr old is about to go on a 12 hour drive to VA in 2 weeks and it would help a ton to have this problem fixed. Thanks in advance.

edit: i should also add if i disconnect the bazooka ground from anywhere the screens work fine. and also when the bazooka grounded anywhere it works fine no problems, its just the screens giving me problems with the sub hooked up.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ground it back to the battery? maybe thatll work
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a known issue with the rs3 screens.. the power supply to the screens is crappy and cuts out after a few minutes of use. The dealer should replace the power supply at no charge. there have been a few posts about this issue already.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM

is it a recall? Its out of warranty, i have the "extended warranty" program but a $100 deductable. And no i havent tried the battery. But why does the subs ground mess with the screens ground...dont get that part. I will call and see what they say I guess.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont really know if it was a "recall" or if they were just swapping them out as needed, i know that Visualogic has been made aware of the issue, and their warrenty may go longer then the scion warrenty, but i would talk to a dealer first, to be sure, especially if you have the extended warrenty, they may not charge you a deductible, as visualogic will probly send a replacement for free..