Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Frequency division, and changes due to subwoofer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default Frequency division, and changes due to subwoofer.

I was wondering if the crossovers for the front component set are built into the head unit, or somewhere inline is there a passive crossover setup?

Just wondering, since this will make a big difference when installing a aftermarket head unit and/or speakers.

Also, was wondering if anyone knew if there was an internal high pass crossover on the headunit that is enabled for interior speakers when the subwoofer is installed?

If so, this would clean the midrange up a little and make them sound a little clearer.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Most speaker will have a small capacitor on them to block the bass (bass blockers) There is always some type of crossover in every headunit. But since all the new ones have crossovers and frequencies for highs mids and lows it really wouldnt matter about your stock system if you change it out.

You sub your going to install wont sound as good as if you changed headunits you will need and LOC and will probably have to get it from the rear speakers. If you just changed headunits you will have better sq and your own sub rca outputs.

Get rid of the pioneer

Thanks James
Go-Ho Auto Audio
Old 09-01-2004, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Most speakers I have seen are full range. Even a lot of 4" speakers, unless they are the 4x6 plates. If they are a coaxial or triaxial, you will see a cap for the mid and high but nothing for the mid-woofer.

The stock system does have a cap for the front dash speakers but the doors and rear are full range. I do believe there is some sort of cut off point in the stock headunit, but to say every headunit has a crossover (useable) is being to broad. Only higher end head units will have adjustable crossover points, but you wont find it on an entry level head unit. All you will find on those would be bass and treble, maybe mid if you are lucky.

Heck my Eclipse DVD in dash doesnt have built in crossovers.