Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Gauge dimmer control question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gauge dimmer control question.

Where would I tap in to hook up my lights on my (almost) installed gauges so they work with the dash light dimmer control. Is there a thread that can help me out there? I found one with a list of wiring - The radio illuminate wire is green on the radio harness. Would that work? Thanks for your help! Gotta get it done before Scion Night!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great question!

I would like to know this too for my "almost" installed gauges.

Do you have any pics?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its the white wire with the green chaser iirc its been like 8 months that since i took my console apart, take a muliti meter out with you and check
Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my experience, you should be able to hook to the back of the cigarette lighter in the dashboard and get into the dimmer that way.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
i think its the white wire with the green chaser iirc its been like 8 months that since i took my console apart, take a muliti meter out with you and check
you think it is?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, guys, the scions use led's for dashlights, so the dimmer control works a little differently. So, when you hook gauge lights that use incandescant lights into the dash light circuit, they only burn at highest intensity and will not dim (the new gauge lights).
The only way I know to make the gauge lights dim is to run through a seperate dimmer controller. However, I have had a problem locating one in the aftermarket world. Probably will have to go to a junkyard. My gauges have such tiny bulbs that they aren't too bright at night anyway, so I probably will just live with it.

Walt
Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, no we have LED's to light the gauges.
What type of gauges do you have? Do you have pics?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are VDO and VDO copies, but they have small peanut style incandescant bulbs. I have thought about replacing with leds but I am not sure the dimmer will control 12vdc leds. The leds in the scions are less than 5 v I believe.

Walt
Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I'll go out after dark and run a 12V test lead to thje lights and see how bright they are. I did go by Radio Shack today thinking about a seperate adjustable switch. No luck. My company car (Chevy Colbalt) has the perfect **** control that would look sweet next to the 12V/lighter. Think they'd notice?

Herte are some pics. I too belong to the "too chicken to drill holes in the dash next to the speeedo club!"

The top edge of the housing is a little rough, but is covered once the upper dash is installed. These are mechanical gauges as I really liked the size and the way they look. Waiting for delivery of a Blitz upper hose to install the water temp sender.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/DSCF1711.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/DSCF1710.jpg
Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Gauge dimmer control question.

Originally Posted by losmorob
Where would I tap in to hook up my lights on my (almost) installed gauges so they work with the dash light dimmer control. Is there a thread that can help me out there? I found one with a list of wiring - The radio illuminate wire is green on the radio harness. Would that work? Thanks for your help! Gotta get it done before Scion Night!
I would first find out what the rating on the dimmer control circuit is. You really cant just add on gauges to a circuit and expect everything to work. Worst case scenario by adding those gauges could burn out your dimmer module. I suggest having your gauges installed on an independent volt regulated system or a separate dimmer system. I myself would build a volt regulated system for high current capacity given the nature of your gauge current demand.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^ Basically that can be a problem if you don't have a dimmer that is a rheostat. I mistakenly thought I could go to Radio Shack and get a small potentiometer to control the brightness. WRONG!!! I bought one and luckily I wired up the gauges and pot and did a bench test with a 12v lawn tractor battery. Weeeellll. All the smoke escaped from the pot and it quit working!! It seems I forgot about current draw and the pots are normally rated in milliamps. I went back and got one rated for 2.5 amps (biggest they had) and that sucker gets HOT just with 3 peanut style bulbs (smaller than the side marker lights by a lot!) It didn't fail but was way too hot to be in a confined place through the dash somewhere. That is why I have sort of stopped for now.
losmorob, I REALLY like what you have done there! How long did it take you to take the dash out?? I'm sorta rethinking my gauge pod and just might do them through the dash like you and peterbilt and others have. I want to buy a diff set of vdo's, but can't decide which ones. Still need to do some looking.
I hope someone out there will try to setup some leds that will properly illuminate gauges, snap in place, run on 12vdc, and will dim off the dimmer switch. Not too much to ask is it!!!

Walt
Old 09-09-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran a test lead to the lights on the gauges. Not real bright, I can live with it wired direct. It would be nice to have it adjustable.

Regarding dash disassembly. It's really not that bad. Here's a great tech article.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23214

Reason I went with this install;
I like the open view of the drivers seat so A-pod gauges were out. Too chicken to mount by the speedo.
I want to keep the "small is good" theme so I went with 1 1/2" gauges.
Mounting them in the cubby directly above the steering wheel is a nice clear view of the gauges.
With a mounting panel, thegauges fit in the cubby with just small holes drilled in the back/top for wiring. If gauges are removed at a later date, these can be covered/plugged.
The only problem is that I haven't been able to find some nice white faced 1 1/2"electric gauges that look good. So mechanical it is, for now!!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/DSCF1710.jpg
Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd suggest using an independent voltage regulator setup to act as your dimmer.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:25 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ugh sorry for bring back an old thread

some thing like this (its on my xA)