Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help with aftermarket stereo tuning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help with aftermarket stereo tuning!!!

I recently put an Alpine 9835 in my XB ( I made a post about it saying I love it!). So I decided to upgrade my speakers. I bought the Infinity Kappa Perfect component set. I had to buy spacers to put in the door so the window didn't hit the magnet. I put the tweeters in the dash (put them in the cover that covers the stock speakers in the dash). I put the crossovers in the dash behind the head unit (tons of room back there!). So then I fired it up and it sounded great! After about 10 minutes of listening at high volume I noticed that the tweeters were getting a little bit of static. But only at high volume. I tried messing with the "user eq" and the crossover on the alpine head unit, but I dont really know what I am doing and nothing made it sound better and make the static go away. I changed the crossovers that came with the infinity kit to -4db (lowest they go). I am not using the factory wire, I ran all new wire the the crossover from the head unit and from the crossover to the tweets and door speakers. Anyone have any suggestions!?!?! The RMS on the kappa perfect set is 100, and the alpine is only putting out 45 (I think), so I really doubt they are blown, but that is kinda what the sound (static) resembles... HELP!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I actually have the same exact speakers as you, and and alpine 9831. The thing is, if your amping the speakers off the head unit itself, the actually rms is probably only 25 watts per speaker, so there just may not be enough power and maybe thats whats causing the static.. I am using an alpine amp, that puts 45 actually watts to the speaker and it sounds great.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...so if im not giving them enough power, thew might sound "blown" at high volume??
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be completed honest that is just my hypothesis.. I would think that if there is a lack of power, then it may sound staticy at a high volume.. see if anyone else replies, cause im not sure.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Your system

Does your alpine have a bilt in cross over? If so set to about 120 on the hpf. This should allow you to turn it up a bit with out distortion. The best thing would be an amp. Do that when you can. As for the power of your deck real power on it is more 12 to 15 watt with peaks higher.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Your system

Originally Posted by Boom12V
Does your alpine have a bilt in cross over? If so set to about 120 on the hpf. This should allow you to turn it up a bit with out distortion. The best thing would be an amp. Do that when you can. As for the power of your deck real power on it is more 12 to 15 watt with peaks higher.
Yes, the alpine has a built in xover. I can set front/rear/sub settings. So for the front you are saying I should set it from 120-max??
Old 01-04-2005, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you can use the crossovers with the internal amp. Correct me if I'm wrong someone. But using the power from a headunit to power decent aftermarket speakers won't work too well. IMHO you aren't getting your money's worth out of those Infinity's since you're not using an amp. An amp should clear it up a lot. Of course your tweeter may be defective too.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Aftermarket Stereos

Vtscionguy

Many of the modern deck have croosovers built in eg..
Poineer
Alpine
Eclipse
You may want to check out this new technology
Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereos

Originally Posted by Boom12V
Vtscionguy

Many of the modern deck have croosovers built in eg..
Poineer
Alpine
Eclipse
You may want to check out this new technology
hehe, Boom12V, yes I know most do and I wouldn't use them unless I absolutely have to, I have an Alpine H701 processor sitting next to me that I'm contemplating whether or not to install

my point was I don't think the internal X-over could be used with the internal amp, usually you need to use RCA outs to an amp to be able to use the internal X-over

Can you tell me if you can or not?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The internal xover seems to work fine in tuning my Infinity's, I just dont thing I am giving them enough power like everyone is saying... It just seems wierd that they would sound "blown" when they are not getting enough power and not the other way around...

The built in xover also works for my sub. I have that hooked up to an amp and I use the xover to adjust that too...so it seems to work with or without an amp.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm that's cool, never knew they worked like that

I would use just the X-over on the headunit and not the one on the amp for the sub unless the amp has a 24db x-over. Using both makes for a funny curve.

They may just be distorting at high volumes since you said it only sounds staticky when turned up.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how can I fix the "distorting" at high volume?? Hook them up to an amp?? Like maybe a 50x2 and just leave the rears how they are??

Oh and my sub sounds fine, I am using the xover on the HU to control that.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since im using the nifinity perfect 6.1s as well, and it uses the crossover box, do u also need any hp filter on, or should the box take care of all that?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First I'd bring it somewhere to see if they are blown or not before going out to get an amp. Either way though an amp is a very good idea. Yes, leave the rears how thy are and just use the fader to adjust the volume of the speakers to match each other.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if they sound okay at low/moderate volumes with no crackling... then amp them...
you shouldn't need anything more powerful then a 75 x 2 for the components alone...

you could also be experiencing speaker "fatigue" which is when the sound doesn't sound as good 60 minutes into the ride as opposed to 5 minutes... this is generally remedied by getting really expensive equipment... not much else you can do about it...