Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

help me hook up an ipod to my xb

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default help me hook up an ipod to my xb

Hey, whats would I need to hook up an ipod to my xb, i don't have a cd changer or xm, I don't even know where the cd changer would be located. I need suggestions on pieces to buy and approximate costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't take New York City Radio anymore and I refuse to Pay for xm
Help an XbROTHER out!
Old 05-30-2004, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Look for a HeadUnit w/ an AUX input, that'll allow you to plug the Headphone Jack from the iPod (or any other source) into the HU, and listen to it.

-=OR=-

Look for a RF Modulator, which allows you to do the something, but you don't have to buy a new HU, and this just plays thru the radio.

Good Luck w/ it.

Dave.

:twisted:
Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default help me hook up an ipod to my xb

I have mine hooked up with an Itrip($34.95) and a car lighter adapter($19.95). Thats the easiest way I can think of. You can buy both at the apple web site or at the apple store. They also have a few that combine the two together. There's one from Monster for $69.00 or one from Digital Lifestyle for $99.00.

It also depends on what type of Ipod you have. The Digital Lifestyle one doesn't work with the mini, and if it's a first gen Ipod with out the dock the Monster one won't work with it.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The auxin would be the best way to go, but not all HU have em. Some people love the i-trip and others havent had too much luck with it. go here if you want to securely mount it. I ordered a cm625 and love it.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an iriver ihp120 and i use the belkin one where it plugs into the cig lighter and uses the radio.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

stay away from FM transmitters - ESPECIALLY the itrip. I have that and the one they sell at best buy - neither work well in the xB. Well, they work well if you like static over your music.

Trouble is, the Scion Pioneer head unit has a weak antenna - it has FM sensitivity of 11 dbF. Problem with that is, most aftermarket units have 9 dbF (lower the number the better).... and some extremely good ones like some Blaupunkts get 6 dbF. I have had the ipod with iTrip (and best-buy generic brand) sitting in that little storage compartment in front of passenger (right next to the radio), and it won't get the signal.... i've HELD THE IPOD IN FRONT OF THE RADIO, it will barely get the signal.

So, unless you plan on getting a new head unit, don't get an FM transmitter.

You'd be best off getting an aftermarket head unit with an aux input on the face, or a rear-aux input of RCAs that you could feed to the passenger footwell, and then plug into your ipod like i ended up doing.

The cheapest way really to get this to work.

Cheers
-ABT-
Old 05-31-2004, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default hook um my ipod

i tried the best buy rf and the itrip in NYC it doesn't do the trick. I need Hardwiring or nothing at all

Originally Posted by Uno1200mob
The auxin would be the best way to go, but not all HU have em. Some people love the i-trip and others havent had too much luck with it. go here if you want to securely mount it. I ordered a cm625 and love it.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my fm tuner from belkin works fine, used to have static in my dads 92 toyota cressida, but in the scion the static is gone. but then again, i didn't buy an ipod :O
Old 06-01-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah, the ipod wasn't my first choice - it was a gift. But hey, it was free, can't complain.

If i had to buy one i'd get the iRiver or the Karma....

-ABT-
Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CNYScions
SL Member

i have an itrip, and it works pretty good. depends on the area of town, the album i am listening to, and of course the station that it is on.

yes, it isnt as good as a cd, but it is way cheaper and easier than having to get a whole new radio installed in the car..
Old 08-12-2004, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member

I got an Itrip w/Mini ipod, for what its sopposed to do it does a good job in my xB! An I live in downtown chicago! But ALL fm modulators SUCK and sound echo-ish! The cd changer on the xB is in the head unit so theres no rcas in for that! What about the xm hookup, I assume you need some adapter to hook it up or do you just hook the ant straight to the radio?? nebody hook up there own XM? If so does it have a seperate module to plug into rca's? or does it hook directly up?? nebody, nebody???
Old 08-12-2004, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member

there is an xm adapter out there, it was posted somewhere, the other alternative is an in-line fm modultaor.... there is one called a pll-1 or some junk, do a search and you may find it
Old 08-16-2004, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I personally hate how the iTrip sounds...i think its distant and just doenst produce a good signal...i would rather hard wire it per say...
Old 08-22-2004, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member

I put in a FM modulator. You can get these circuit city, tho the sales people tend to think of them as devices for car dvd players, not ipod/mp3 players.

The FM modulator by-passes the antenna when you turn it on via a switch you can mount on one of the knock-outs. Turn your radio to 88.7 or whatever you set the FM modulator.

You have to get the approprate dongles to connect the ipod to the RCA type female inputs on the FM Modulator.

Mine does have a slight humm to it, but I'm fairly sure I need to reground it. Otherwise it sounds much better than FM transmitter as it's hard-wired into the headunit.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: help me hook up an ipod to my xb

Originally Posted by GTRCscion
Hey, whats would I need to hook up an ipod to my xb, i don't have a cd changer or xm, I don't even know where the cd changer would be located. I need suggestions on pieces to buy and approximate costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't take New York City Radio anymore and I refuse to Pay for xm
Help an XbROTHER out! :lol:
you can use PAC Aux-Pod http://www.pac-audio.com
it allows you to change tracks from the radio. It also charges the ipod and of course allows for direct input for the cleanest sound.

JT
Old 08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/auxtoy.html

Here are some input converters...
Old 08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.densionusa.com

This company has adaptors for about everycar to hook an I-pod. Even Scion.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres one,
http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=pieoem
great way to get xm into your car as well without spending the 400+ for the dealer option...