Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help, Radio Question...

Old 10-09-2003, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help, Radio Question...

Okay I can’t figure this out? Why is Scion asking nearly $500.00 if not more for the XM “Receiver & Antenna”? I have been trying to educate myself on this…if I understand it correctly you can purchase separately a Pioneer XM radio receiver and antenna for something like $200.00 if not less? (From what I have read the only issue is if your head unit/tuner is IP-Bus compatible, which the stock radio is…as its number is DEH-P250. The “p” meaning it is.) Okay what am I not understanding, that they are overcharging?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

Has anyone put in an aftermarket XM radio? Your thoughts?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yes. when i first had my xB, i put in a pioneer GEX FM-903 XM reciever that i got online for about $99.

here is some info about it:
http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...214&type=Tuner

here is a link to one: http://store.yahoo.com/discountsonli...eunfmxmdi.html

and you can also get it on ebay refurbished for really cheap. that's what i got and it works great. i was using the FM modulator with my stock xB stereo. i just mounted the little remote unit on my dash and tuned my radio to a certain station and it works great. sounds better than FM radio for sure. you also need to get an antenna. i got one for $50 from xmfan.com which is a great online store for xm accessories. so that's $150 plus $10 a month for XM radio. when you buy the XM reciever for $500 from scion you still have to pay for the $10 a month, and you don't get to pick what kind of antenna you want. they just give you whatever one they decide to use.

later, when i got my aftermarket pioneer DVD player, i removed all the FM modulator crap, and got an IP bus cable, which allowed me to plug my XM tuner right into my radio. now i control all XM functions with my new DVD player and the sound quality is even better. i paid $400 for the DVD player. so technically, you can get a DVD player that also plays MP3s and VCDs and CDs, and an XM tuner for about the same price as using the OEM headunit and getting the scion XM option. for an extra $360 you can get a 7" monitor like i have built into the center bezel and you have a complete audio visual entertainment system for a good price.

also, someone was working on making a cable that allowed you to go from the pioneer IP bus cable to the OEM radio, but i don't know if it was ever completed. if it was, i think a lot of people would love it, and scion would hate it. until then, the FM modulator option is the cheapest and easiest way to go. hope this helped.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

Right on! Thanks Eric.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

did the XM radio after market as well, for about $250 with install thru circuit city, definate savings vs the dealer....
Old 10-10-2003, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

my toyota dealer gave me my xm recever for free along with the upgraded radio sub. rims and the rear bumper scrach resistant decal, and red lights under my dash all free
Old 10-10-2003, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

dang! where did you buy, and how the heck did you pull that off?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Originally Posted by insane451
my toyota dealer gave me my xm recever for free along with the upgraded radio sub. rims and the rear bumper scrach resistant decal, and red lights under my dash all free
Someone's been gettin sum.