Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How to disable Stability Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How to disable Stability Control?

Anybody know how, or already has, disabled the Stability Control on the xA RS 1.0, or any of the other Scions? How to disable it should be fairly similar between the 3 models.

I'd like to be able to temporarily disable mine.

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I'm not sure but, when I test drove the RS 1.0 Xa, theres a toggle switch under the steering colomn next to the center console that reads, "Traction Control". Maybe its that :?:
Old 11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno fi this would help since it also checks how far the steering wheel is turned i believe. but if you take the console out, right next to the shifter is a yaw control box.

i dunno if the car will work or what if you unplug it. you could also somehow design something to hold it that keeps it perfectly flat no matter how much the car tilts. it might help, i have no clue.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cseika
I'm not sure but, when I test drove the RS 1.0 Xa, theres a toggle switch under the steering colomn next to the center console that reads, "Traction Control". Maybe its that :?:
No unfortunately. An email from Scion confirmed it, plus I verified it doesn't disable it the last time I was at the race track.

TOAST3R, Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I've already scanned all the fuses in the engine bay, and their isn't one for it.

If I had a technical/maintance manual, I might be able to figure it out. I'll have to go buy myself one. Those things are priceless.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the Xb, there is a button next to the dash display dimmer dial. If I remember right, it says TRAC OFF. Somethin like that, ill check later to be sure. But all you do is press that and on the dash, a little light will display that it has been turned off, when you turn off the car and turn it back on, the light goes away. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

instead of spending the cash on a book that doesnt really explain things well. Go to http://www.alldata.com , subscribe for about the price of a book, and be alot happier. All bolt sizes, strengths, torque specs, part numbers, repair times, exact instructions on everything. I use all data at the shop and wouldnt go anywhere else for my repair info on any car.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
On the Xb, there is a button next to the dash display dimmer dial. If I remember right, it says TRAC OFF. Somethin like that, ill check later to be sure. But all you do is press that and on the dash, a little light will display that it has been turned off, when you turn off the car and turn it back on, the light goes away. Hope this helps.
Trac Off only turns Traction Control off, doesn't affect VSC. This was confirmed by Scion Chat as well.

I would be hesitant to fool or disable only part of the system. Could be a recipe for disaster, depending on how the car interprets it.

Personally, I just take it as another driving challenge, getting the most out of the car without setting off the VSC. I prefer that to finding where the line is without it...
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it can probably be done but we need to see if the other sensors and such will ____ a brick if the yaw box is removed.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try pulling the ABS fuse. The VSC system uses readings from the ABS sensors to modulate the brakes and keep the car under control. I would assume if you disable the ABS it would disable the VSC as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
it can probably be done but we need to see if the other sensors and such will ____ a brick if the yaw box is removed.
I don't care.. I'm going to figure out a way to disable it some how. If it means other stuff getting screwed up, then I'll disable that too.

I really don't like stability control in our cars. Personally, it feels more like anti-spin control, than stability control since it didn't seem to really kick in untill the car was sliding for a decient amount of time. ~5-10sec? I WANT to drive it at high drift angles.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

I'm going to disable this thing, one way or another, before the next time I hit our 2 day track event at the end of January!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the premium Scion Life membership a day or two ago. Was looking through the schematics and sensors to get an idea of how to disable the Stability Control. Looks like it may be possible. Seems like there is a separate ECM for it. Need to look into the pin outs and support sensors futher to see if I can tap one of the lines high or low to fool the rest of the system that the car really isn't sliding...

Hopefully it will just be as easy as disconnecting a cable or two!

Man, lot of stuff in those microfishes and in the maintance manual. Fortunately the structure of the Maintance Manual and the car's internal sensor diagnostics is very similar to my Z. I don't think it'll take me too long to figure this out... Just need TIME to get my hands dirty in the dash and engine. TIME is just the thing I don't have a whole lot of now-a-days! Poking between GIF files instead of leafing through pages in a book isn't helping matters either... Grrrr...
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by florencescion
Try pulling the ABS fuse. The VSC system uses readings from the ABS sensors to modulate the brakes and keep the car under control. I would assume if you disable the ABS it would disable the VSC as well.
If it means I need to pull the ABS fuse to do it, I don't think I want to try... If it's a rainny day, I'll WANT the ABS working more than the VSC diabled. Thanks for the suggestion though and I will give it a try.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

1.5L, 108 h.p., fwd. drift?!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crazy sounding, I know. Definately not throttle oversteering drifts, but corner entry oversteer through trail braking.