Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How do you take off window switch panels &...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

Default How do you take off window switch panels &...

Im planning on doing some painting and I wanted to know how you take off the silver window switch panels and also the silver ring around the shifter. If anyone can help me out that would be great! Thanks.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How do you take off window switch panels &...

Originally Posted by rogcjms
Im planning on doing some painting and I wanted to know how you take off the silver window switch panels and also the silver ring around the shifter. If anyone can help me out that would be great! Thanks.
On the auto, there is a screw under the rubber liner on the back of the console. Once that rubber liner is out, remove the screw. There is a pop out panel right in front of the emergency brake, pop it out and there is another screw (or two - I can't remember). Once these screws are out, the whole console comes off in one piece.

The silver window switch panels can easily be removed by sliding something smooth and flat (I use a table knife - the dull kind) between the upholstery and the center front of the switch. You are pushing on a spring clip - just pull up while pushing on the spring clip and the front will pop up. The rest of the switch will easily pull out at that point.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

the only thing is I have a manual transmission. i remember a post about taking it off on a manual but i dont remember where. thanks for the info anyway
Old 01-08-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There's two ways you can do it on the manual. The first way is to slide something flat under the edge of the rings and find the 4 tabs holding it in and pop them up. The second, and safer way, is to remove the bolt under the rear cupholder, pop the whole console up and push the tabs out from below.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

thanks chadfo, what about the window switch controls...ScionPsyche told me how to do it, is tht the easiest way?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanks chadfo, what about the window switch controls...ScionPsyche told me how to do it, is tht the easiest way?
Yeah, thats the easiest way, but be sure to go from the front. Trying to pry the back this way may be cause for a new switch panel. I used a butterknife.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just found a picture I took when painting mine.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned
KAD
Scikotics
SL Member

^^listen to him...I broke mine it sucks...anyone know how much it will cost to get a new one...I am forever away from a dealership.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

thanks for the pic. that helps me out a lot. couple of questions though. when I put it back in do I just put the back end in first then the front? and how do you take off the switches from the silver piece? also on the shifter N2HTWLZ told me that i just have to pull up on the boot to pop out the silver ring, anyone have a pic of that?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanks for the pic. that helps me out a lot. couple of questions though. when I put it back in do I just put the back end in first then the front? and how do you take off the switches from the silver piece? also on the shifter N2HTWLZ told me that i just have to pull up on the boot to pop out the silver ring, anyone have a pic of that?
Yes, when you go to put them back in, back in first, then front.

When you have the switch and housing out, there are little tabs on the front and back (I think) Here is a really crappy picture to show you what they look like. Push in on the middle of the tab (where the screwdriver is headed in the pic) and the switch pops right out. This is a pic of the back assembly, but the front is very similar. I don't completely recall how the rear pieces come out, but I know they were easier to pop out than the fronts.

Can't help on the shifter.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes that just pops right off, i always take that off when i remove my center consol

and it goes back on one way too theres mounting taps that shows which way it goes