Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How the hell do install the amp to the stock hu?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How the hell do install the amp to the stock hu?

so far i have a phoenix gold x400.1 amp, and 2 alpine swe-1242's, but how can i hook up the amp to the stock hu? There's no rca outputs, and i don't see a turn-on wire port. Someone help me out here.

ps: I've searched like crazy about this, no luck
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

something like this eBay link

and for the remote on wire, just run that to your fusebox and connect it to your radio fuse...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You need a line out convertor, and the amp remote wire splices into the grey wire on the "fat" connector.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

grey wire huh, have to try that out, get rid of some excess wire... i'm not using that thing i saw on ebay, just couldnt think of the term for the convertor, theres a specific name for it, but thats what i'm using... basically justs converts your high output to low output for your amp... most audio places sell them for around $10 to $30, depending on the brand and function...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait so what do you connect the amp with. i got an MTX thunder 3401 and it comes with 2 plugs that look like this:

--[|||]====================

will these hook up to the stock HU?

thanky *****
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rabberflatch
wait so what do you connect the amp with. i got an MTX thunder 3401 and it comes with 2 plugs that look like this:

will these hook up to the stock HU?

thanky *****
Nope those are RCA Male connectors
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh the RCA end hooks up to the amp but the other end is raw wire. i was hoping that you just splice the naked end to the stock HU? or is that not possible and i need a different connection.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you may need to do so. im not sure off hand what coms off ths stock H/U

i went the simple way and put in a new HU
Old 07-13-2005, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to hook up the factory HU to an amp, you'll either need:

1) a Line Level Converter....you can get cheap ones that aren't the best from wal-mart or you can get a high quality one such as the JL Audio Cleansweep.

2) get the harness off of e-bay in the link posted above...

3) use the High level inputs on your amp in place of the RCA's.....

if you guys have any questions on these methods, PM me....
Old 07-14-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

like this:

i have a splitter for mine since i run my subs and back speakers off of a 4 channel amp...
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

yes it is really simple, get a high to low converter. Just make sure that if you are doing subs that you use the rear speakers. The reason I say that is cause if you ever want to turn the subs off you can just fade to the front and still have music. If you do it on the front then you will have to fade to the rear and not have any music up front to listen to. Just a suggestion but it does work pretty well. I have all the wire colors wrote down at the house for the TC. I will post them on here if anyone needs them tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its probably better if you install a kill switch to the amp. Use the Remote line and just install a switch in that. And as far as hooking up the RCA's to you speakers, you dont want to do that. All your amp needs is a signal. You dont wanna run full power from your speakers to you amp, that would be bad.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^well...your name says it......

Running straight from the speakers to the amp would work just fine (and probably sound better than the cheap @ss converters at Wal-Mart)......this method would be utilizing the High-Level inputs instead of RCA's (which are low level)
Old 07-16-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ actually, like i said, splicing the RCA's in is a bad idea.

"You MUST lower the head unit's output to a level the amp is capable of using. If you do not want to do it the RIGHT way, simply tap the speaker leads at the rear speakers and feed THOSE into the amp's speaker level input (if so equipped) The cleaner way is to use a LOC, and more universally acceptable - this option will work with pretty much EVERY amplifier... " If you dont believe me, that comes from an audio forum i belong to.

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/peri_faq_main.htm#4

and whats in a name? Nothing obviously
Old 07-16-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

also, one thing not mentioned that i just thought of, some amps do have a high input connection as well as a low input rca connection, so check on the amp that you plan on using... it should have come with another connector with the wires to be spliced in, not sure on sound quality... but it all boils down to one thing, you want the best sound, get a better HU that has the amp out ports and the higher the voltage, the better the sound... i've used several different types of converters and have had different types of HUs, imo, the PAC converters are the best, and for the HU's, the highest voltage i've used is 5volts and sounds great... as i said before, go to the audio stores and ask alot of questions, make them feel you will be using their service, and if you dont feel comfortable doing this yourself, which there is no reason why you shouldnt, pretty cut and dry stuff here, let them do the install... have fun...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok, so i've used the line convertor to install an amp. It sounds like garbage. The sub is picking up mids and highs along with the lows. Then when i turn it up all i get is distortion from the sub. i've tried to adjust the level inputs but nothing is working. any ideas. help...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member

You need a new head unit with a built in EQ. I had that same problem but maybe not as bad as you. It could be also the quality of your system, with it built in you get to adjust everything real good.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by I_dont_know
^ actually, like i said, splicing the RCA's in is a bad idea.

"You MUST lower the head unit's output to a level the amp is capable of using. If you do not want to do it the RIGHT way, simply tap the speaker leads at the rear speakers and feed THOSE into the amp's speaker level input (if so equipped) The cleaner way is to use a LOC, and more universally acceptable - this option will work with pretty much EVERY amplifier... " If you dont believe me, that comes from an audio forum i belong to.

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/peri_faq_main.htm#4

and whats in a name? Nothing obviously
what do you think High Level Inputs are doing??? it's like having a Line Level Converter built into the amp, more importantly, built specificly for that particular amp meaning better SQ than a CHEAP converter..... I would agree that a high quality converter(JL Audio Cleansweep) WILL give you better sound than HLI's, but these Wally-World POS converters are probably what jasonlm429's problem is....
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm a dork.... I'm usin the JL cleansweep. I thought that the xover on amp was on lp, but it was on "through". Anyway, put it on lp, now the system sounds good. TY. Eventually I will be doing the whole system, but for now, I had some stuff laying around the garage and figured it'll do until I can get the whole system. Thanks all..
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not all amps have High Level imputs. Did he say he had high level imputs? And off hand, i dont know if the amp he has has it. So i was offering some information that could help him. Geez, you dont have to get all kinds of offensive.

Quick Reply: How the hell do install the amp to the stock hu?