Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How is the stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How is the stock stereo?

I didn't really get to test it out when I test drove the xB because my baby was in the car.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's pretty good for a stock radio. It'll hold me over till I put my monster in :twisted: .
Old 03-02-2004, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol :D
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On a serious note. It sounds pretty damn good as long as you don't go over 50 with the bass set at -2 on the Hear setting
Old 03-02-2004, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member

On FM stations and CDs, the sound is terrific. :D But on AM, it really sucks.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it alot i gotta question though...how high can u really crank the volume b4 your in danger of messin up the speakers or blowin them out????
Old 03-02-2004, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Stock Stereo

I really liked my stock head unit, for the few miles it was in my ride :wink:

Concerning the volume level, Pioneer says once you've tuned it to where the volume is comfortable and without distortion, leave it there.

My two cents,

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How is the stock stereo?

Originally Posted by SciJen
I didn't really get to test it out when I test drove the xB because my baby was in the car.
got my xB in sept '03. changed all speakers with infinity, infinity Bass Link, and PPI amp, but kept stock head unit for 6 months. was very happy until i got my dvd video system and was using an FM modulator. that sucked really bad.

just changed the head unit to a panasonic and...WOW!!! everything sounds so much...MORE!!! everything sounds so much more richer and my speakers are now getting a chance to do some real work. its funny, cause i was very happy with the stock deck, but it doesnet have any aux inputs.. i'm glad i changed for dvd's as well as cd's. my .02$ is change it if and when you upgrade your speakers. if you dont, stick with the stock deck...it sounds fine.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am really loving my stock stereo! Six speakers is great to me.

Sean
Old 03-02-2004, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: How is the stock stereo?

Originally Posted by xB ey
Originally Posted by SciJen
got my xB in sept '03. changed all speakers with infinity, infinity Bass Link, and PPI amp, but kept stock head unit for 6 months. was very happy until i got my dvd video system and was using an FM modulator. that sucked really bad.

just changed the head unit to a panasonic and...WOW!!! everything sounds so much...MORE!!! everything sounds so much more richer and my speakers are now getting a chance to do some real work. its funny, cause i was very happy with the stock deck, but it doesnet have any aux inputs.. i'm glad i changed for dvd's as well as cd's. my .02$ is change it if and when you upgrade your speakers. if you dont, stick with the stock deck...it sounds fine.
In comparison, I have a stock system with a sub woofer (8" bazooka sub) and I think it sound perfect. I like more thump and lows, I have an xA. The stock system from what I hear in comparison doesn't have well defined highs. Even the stock tweeters are dull. But in reality that's perfect for me. I don't like extended highs or real punchy mids,,,I like a certain amount of clearity and a solid bump in my trunk, a more smoother type of listening. Now I'm an older guy, the kids like that extended sound, I prefer a more sedated balanced system and the stock head unit, speakers and an additional sub is more than enough. I hardley ever turn the bass pass -5 on the feel equalization, I tweek the highs (+2)sometimes but...I'm very happy with the simi stock set up. Eventually I will upgrade to a full on dvd system but then I will change everything and make sure the head unit has a wonderful eq to tailor the sound to my ears...SMOOTH,,, no overextended extremely well define highs and mids, because that hurts my ears.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the stereo stock is really nice for the price of the car. i was expecting worse.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i came from driving a VW GTI VR6 with the factory Monsoon 8 speaker system and a 12" box in the trunk - and i was very dissapointed in the xB's stock system - i had the 8" bazooka and the 6-disc changer and everything sounded "muddy" and not clear at all - the highs were muffled and not defined, the bass of the bazooka was muffled and nasty, the mids are basicly non-existant, and cranking the bass up just sounded awful - lots of rattles and a lot of distortion (even after tuning the bazooka as best i could)

now it sounded ok with the volume kinda low - but crank it up and it sounded gross

here's the thing that really ____ed me of - my girlfriends camry sounded better, especially up LOUD!

now that's i've changed out the stock speakers/headunit i'm much happier - the highs are crisp and well defined, the mids could still use a little bump (i'm workin on that) and the bass is well defined and booming.

my girlfriend noticed the second she got in my car after the swap, and now i can hear things in cd's that i didn't even know were there before.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Stock HU is decent on a car of this price range...
But when I changed out the HU to another Pioneer aftermarket one with more more it made so much of a difference. The added little bit of power made the bass a little punchier.
Then, when I added the amps and subs (2 10" JL) it really made a helluva difference. Now, the stock speakers are my weakest link. I'm still in the process of deciding on the best set of components for the price.
IMO, speakers and HU are a good investment especially if you have a long commute. It's something that you can really enjoy and get a lot of use out of.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Kinda Wimpy

It is good for a stock unit ... but is kinda wimpy for opera. Yes OPERA. It's just not LOUD enough!Good for stock. I wouda liked to have not had to pay for the stock radio and get an after market one - or have more to select from. A better single disk system for between the stock and 6 disk - somthin like that. And how about mounting the tube under the roof ... would be better (not take up the floor space). I need to room more then the tube.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

Default ...

might be off topic but did anyone put any subs in the trunk area? i thought of putting a 12 in. JL W7 in there for semi bass, any pics would be fine , thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Eh. I just picked mine up today and the radio is junk. It sounds "ok" but the fact that it has no ***** means it must go BYE BYE.

--
Cheese
Old 03-14-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

yeah, buttons = suck.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i felt the same as everyone else till today. I had to replace the stock to set up my JL 12 inch with amp. I went with a 140 dollar mp3 playing JVC 200 watt head unit and it kicks the ____ out of the stock. Runs the stock speakers twices as hard with no loss in quality and more a gain.

Ad-roc
Old 03-14-2004, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i has the stock, and wanted a changer, switched to the stock deck with changer, and it wasn't enough, so i sold both decks and got an alpine, gotta love itm its the best system i ever had in a car.

ad-roc - you know you had to upgrade after you heard my stereo.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dchan8
ad-roc - you know you had to upgrade after you heard my stereo.
Maybe.

Ad-roc

Quick Reply: How is the stock stereo?