Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Ignition light ring installation for xB/xA w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ignition light ring installation for xB/xA w/ pics

I wanted to spend my $50 scion giftcard on something useful but there wasn't anything i really wanted at the local dealership. I could have gone with the OEM bumper applique or carpet mats, but I decided on the ignition ring light from carson scion:
http://www.newscionparts.com/product/?id=1818
Part # is 08559-52010 if you wanted to know.

Unfortunately, being an official japanese part, all the instructions were in japanese. I did extensive searching in these forums and found that bBIst had one installed, but not much other information. I flipped through the installation manual, and as any good hearted illiterate american would do, I stared at the pictures.

The installation is fairly simple and straightforward, pretty much plug and play. I didn't follow the directions too closeley as I didn't want to take apart my entire dash. I must also apologize in advance for my pictures because my digicam is about as useful as poop. I also must note that from my observations, the ring does not light up evenly -- there is a pretty bright hotspot where the light is.

1 ) The first thing you can do is to prep the ring piece. The kit comes with a black sticker and a piece of double-sided foam tape cut into a ring, (it actually comes as a whole circle but you don't need most of it). Line up the black sticker and cover the top of the "lens." This should block out most of the light from bleeding out the front where you wouldn't want it to. The ring of sticky tape goes on the inside and adheres the "lens" to the ignition switch.

2 ) There is a small piece of foam that you wrap around the inline fuse. I am not completely sure why but I assume it helps prevent short circuiting somewhere.

3 ) Remove the top and bottom cover of the steering wheel. There are 3 screws and you may need to rotate the steering wheel to access them. In this pic, I only have the bottom cover off. The manual says to remove the signal/wiper stalks, but you can take the top cover off just by lowering the steering wheel column. There is a detailed walkthrough of how to do this in the gauge installation thread.

4 ) Simply slip the ring, with the sticky tape exposed, over the front of the ignition switch. There are two recommended positions in the installation manual, but I recommend placing the bulb in the northeast position. This way the brightest part of the light is visible to you in a normal seating position.

5 ) Make sure to keep the wires neat by using the cable ties and following the preexisting wire bundles. I used the large cable tie to mount the "box" on the huge wire bundle next to the fuse box.

6 ) The harness is a simple pass through harness. There are four wire harnesses plugged into the top of the fuse box. Looking at it from the front, unplug the second one from the left. This is the second smallest plug, with the smallest one being next to it, furthest to the left. Simply plug it into the pass-thru and plug your harness in. The pic here is rotated but you can see it with the red and green wires on the right, with the inline fuse in the foreground.

7 ) There is a thin ground wire which they tell you to screw in with the other wire terminals behind the kicker panel, but you can likely mount it to any grounded screw you like.

8 ) Reassemble your steering wheel and test the light. It should turn on and stay on when you open any door and stay on for a short period of time. The color is determined by a green rubber bulb "jimmy" cap much like the AC panel, so you could easily replace it with another color.

Now you have no excuse for stabbing around in the dark and not finding the hole.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

w00t, will i get a gift card if i buy an 06 this month? (if so i'm getting this, simple mod :D)

no more going in the wrong hole >_<;
Old 09-03-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great install info!

This is one of the most useful parts I have on my box.

-Steve
Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i take it that i did it correctly?
it seems a simple enough installation, but japanese-only instructions can be a little intimidating..
Old 09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bgnome
so i take it that i did it correctly?
it seems a simple enough installation, but japanese-only instructions can be a little intimidating..
To me it looks just like mine was done right down to folding the black sticker over the edges. Mine has been in for about 4 months and I actually have the instructions sitting next to me.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bgnome
I use a lot of Japanese instruction books and find that I very rarely need to read the characters but can figure out everyhthing from the pictures/drawing/graphics. They are way ahead of us in this area also.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dunno how i got here but the pictures are dead
Old 12-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Yup, been running mine for almost a year and a half now. Too bad that was standard equipment.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

Default Toyota Japan xB Ignition Light Ring that I bought from Carso

Toyota Japan xB Ignition Light Ring that I bought from Carson Toyota, CA is missing English instructions. I would hope that someone has them? This is a JDM part. Not marketed to the US market. Carson Toyota should supply the end user with simple easy to read English instructions already translated

Does anyone have English instructions?

Does anyone have the pictures of the install step be step? If so Please post.
Thanks for your time. -larry
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the gallery was changed and i had to reupload the photos.
it is actually pretty easy. the hardest part is just running the wire..
Old 12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I made my own ignition light ring out of wire lights (http://www.elwirecheap.com/elwirebyfoot.html). I super glued the light around the ignition. Does anyone know which wire i need to tap into to make my light work with the dome light? I'm guessing it's the green wire, but I'd like to make sure.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tyte tyte
Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where and how much for the ign lite ring????
Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$50 at newscionparts.com (carson toyota)
http://www.newscionparts.com/product/?id=1818
Old 12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow i gotta get one!!!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me too...I wish I made extensive research on this product item. But I still love the idea of maybe doing the wirelight deal. Is there a tech section for that?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

For reference, the Toyota part number is 08559-52010... they refer to it as a "KEY SEALING LAMP". I just installed mine this afternoon -- took about 25 minutes, much of which was spent trying to route & zip-tie the wires.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Premium Member

Default Jimmy cap for light bulb

Does anyone know what light bulb is in the ring or what size jimmy cap to purchase?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member

This mod make it easier to insert into the box!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is a very nice DIY post... very easy to do... finished under 30 mins. Good Job!

Quick Reply: Ignition light ring installation for xB/xA w/ pics