Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installation of Aux Input ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default Installation of Aux Input ???

Can someone post the procedure to add an Auxiliary Input Adapter to a stock Xb radio? How do I get to the wiring? Also where is the best place to tap power?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default RCA input

Did you buy the one on eBay?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I installed the PIE TOY03-AUX in my tC. I know its the wrong car, but heres the tech article that shows how i did it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67318
Old 06-18-2005, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

Don't have the adapter yet. I was going to buy it on line. Can't find one at Circuit City
Old 06-18-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

discountcarstereo.com is where I got mine. Its easy, and they ship quickly.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Installation of AUX in xB

I just installed USA Spec Aux this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes.
1. Remove center dash trim piece by pulling off two outermost climate control ***** and removing one screw in each. Trim piece is easy to wiggle out. Once free from dash, disconnect three wire harnesses from back of trim piece. Set trim piece aside.
2. Unscrew 4 screws holding radio in dash. Pull out radio to expose back of unit. I placed a beach towel underneath radio so it didn't scratch anything. No need to disconnect radio harness.
3. USA Spec has an output cord connected to it that then snaps into a (included) Pioneer-specific wire harness that in turn plugs into 12-pin miniconnector on back of headunit. Input cord purchased from Radio Shack has two RCA connectors that plug into one of two pairs of matching RCA connectors on opposite side of Aux adapter. The other end of the input cable is terminated with a 1/8-inch phono plug...I dropped this end through inside of dash so that it came out under the dash on the right side of the car but pretty much below the left side of the glovebox.
4. There's a lot of space behind radio for Aux adapter. I added some double-sided tape and jammed adapter between some fairly heavy cabling and what looks like plastic firewall, behind and slightly left of where the radio sits.
5. Connect all plugs. Slide radio back in and put 4 screws back in. Reconnect the 3 harnesses to the back of the dash trim piece and snap the trim piece back into place in the dash. Put back two screws and replace two climate control *****.
6. Connect iPod...select CD on radio to hear.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Installation of AUX in xB

I just installed USA Spec Aux this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes.
1. Remove center dash trim piece by pulling off two outermost climate control ***** and removing one screw in each. Trim piece is easy to wiggle out. Once free from dash, disconnect three wire harnesses from back of trim piece. Set trim piece aside.
2. Unscrew 4 screws holding radio in dash. Pull out radio to expose back of unit. I placed a beach towel underneath radio so it didn't scratch anything. No need to disconnect radio harness.
3. USA Spec has an output cord connected to it that then snaps into a (included) Pioneer-specific wire harness that in turn plugs into 12-pin miniconnector on back of headunit. Input cord purchased from Radio Shack has two RCA connectors that plug into one of two pairs of matching RCA connectors on opposite side of Aux adapter. The other end of the input cable is terminated with a 1/8-inch phono plug...I dropped this end through inside of dash so that it came out under the dash on the right side of the car but pretty much below the left side of the glovebox.
4. There's a lot of space behind radio for Aux adapter. I added some double-sided tape and jammed adapter between some fairly heavy cabling and what looks like plastic firewall, behind and slightly left of where the radio sits.
5. Connect all plugs. Slide radio back in and put 4 screws back in. Reconnect the 3 harnesses to the back of the dash trim piece and snap the trim piece back into place in the dash. Put back two screws and replace two climate control *****.
6. Connect iPod...select CD on radio to hear.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks fo the info!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

i just intalled an aux input, and i tested it with my moms' walkman(i don't have my mp3 player yet), and it's not as loud as the regular radio with everything turned up to the max, even on the cd player.

the stock goes from 0 to 63, and it sounds like i'm at about 35. at 35, though, you can't hear anything.

how can i increase the volume? buy some kind of mini-amp or something like mp3 player -> amp -> cable.

what can i do?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, if you get an iPod, you can get the car power adapters, because they have a headphone jack that gets the sound from the dock connector unamplified.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member

i'm not getting an ipod, though.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB and car power adapter for iPod

I looked into a car power adapter (Belkin) for iPod for my xB...unfortunately I find that when something protrudes from the cig lighter outlet it pretty much eliminates use of the cupholder below it. Scion needs to add another outlet somewhere. My wife's van has THREE outlets (2 up front, 1 in back) and even my old Chevy Tracker had TWO outlets (1 on dash, 1 next to e-brake). Hopefully Scion will realize that folks want to plug in, and add at least 1 more outlet (on rear of center consule) to future xBs.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
K3V
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cods
i just intalled an aux input, and i tested it with my moms' walkman(i don't have my mp3 player yet), and it's not as loud as the regular radio with everything turned up to the max, even on the cd player.

the stock goes from 0 to 63, and it sounds like i'm at about 35. at 35, though, you can't hear anything.

how can i increase the volume? buy some kind of mini-amp or something like mp3 player -> amp -> cable.

what can i do?
You can try using a program like MP3 Gain to increase the volume on your MP3 files:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php

I used it to even out the levels across my MP3's and it works great. I set it to 89dB when I ran it and I've usually got the car stereo set to 53 at the most. I might try upping it to like 95dB and seeing how loud it sounds. The good thing about MP3 Gain is it doesn't degrade the quality of the files so you can play around with them until you find a setting you like.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The aux adapters go in very easily. The metra one plugs right in the back of the stock deck. The metra axxess piece has 2 inputs. You just select cd as the sourse on the factory deck and it comes up as disc 6 track 1 for aux 1 and disc 6 track 2 for aux 2.

You can get them at circuit city for $60.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is what I just installed:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=705

They were sold out at Discount Stereo, so I picked one up at Circuit City for
the same price (plus tax).

Installed in about 5 minutes, but I've had my dash apart several times, so it was easy.

If anyone bothers to read the info on these adapters, you'll see that many people
are having the volume problems, and goosing up the volume isn't the solution:

"Customers have reported that the volume level from their satellite radio does not match that of the other sources in their audio system-- to remedy this, a line driver was added to boost the signal up enough for adequate performance"

Link to the Line Driver here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=317

I lucked out and haven't needed it for anything I've connected (yet).

I hope this helps out some.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default aux adapter

I've read somewhere else that if you install the USA Spec that the controls on your Mp3 player are disabled. Is this the case for the Toyo-03 Aux also?? I want to use the one that will allow me to change tracks through the Mp3 player.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nope, with the TOY03-AUX you have full control of the player. That is the only way to change tracks and such.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:16 AM
K3V
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The USA Spec just gives you RCA inputs...there's no way it could disable your MP3 controls, unless for some reason you lose control when you plug in a pair of headphones or something
Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member

From what I understand, the '06 models will come with an Auxiliary input. You guys think this will be available as an accessory for us pre-'06 people?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nope

Quick Reply: Installation of Aux Input ???