Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installed Xbox, have problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installed Xbox, have problems.

Hey folks, wired up an Xbox under my passenger seat to a 400 Watt Power inverter under my driver's seat. Have the power inverter tied to the accessory wire so that it gets power when the key's in the accessory or on position. Power inverter powers on no problem, but the problem is, the Xbox's power cord's reset button trips every time it gets power from the inverter. Don't really have a clue what to do as I'm not very electrically inclined. Help is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I believe you get power surges and spike when the inverter powers up and down. The inverter I use is tied to a constant hot, and I was told you get surges when the inverter goes from battery to alternator power. Try powering up the inverter, then plugging in the xbox. if that works, wire a secondary switch into the power cord of the xbox and you're good!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had tried that, but it still tripped the GFI. Anyway, got the old style cable (that they replaced because they thought it was what made Xbox's catch on fire, but I digress) and it works just fine. Now I'm having troubles with grounding.

My friend and I have isolated the problem, and the Xbox unit itself is what it causing my audio problems (i.e. whenever the unit is powered on and we wave the A/V cables over the box itself, we get distortion and audio problems). We opened up the console, found a ground, wired a separate ground from their to the chassis where I have other electronics wired, but we're still getting noise. Don't know what to do now... Also have a ground loop isolator in the mix, but it's not helping.

Anyone who's installed an Xbox must have had similar problems, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!