Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

ipod jack!!! Where did that come from?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default ipod jack!!! Where did that come from?

i was browsing through the forums and i saw that there is like a third jack inside the center console with an ipod label! i have an 06 Tc and i only have two jacks, the 12V jack and an AUX jack. Plugged my ipod there and i could barely hear the my music playing and i just ignored it and burn CD's to play in the pioneer palyer instead. but then having that third jack...i figured you'd get better sound quality. do all of you guys have that third jack? i know that the 06 Tc's would have like an upgrade with the remote on the steering and those two jacks. its sad that i dont have that...gotta go back to my dealer and ask.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should have swiped the pic and posted it here. You sure it's not a mod of some sort?

Also, when you jacked in and the sound wasn't good...did you remember to adjust the volume on the iPod too? I don't know, I'm just guessing here. I have an 05 that has NO ipod jack, so I wouldn't know for sure.

I do have an aux jack I installed myself that goes in the CD changer input...and i have to remember to turn the volume up on the iPod, then adjust the head unit volume.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the IPOD jack is only there if you have the IPOD HU.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct!!!! ricexizxgood
Old 10-26-2005, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member

he had this URL to it

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-tedrcn&Ux=0

if you scroll futher youd see a pic with the center console with that ipod jack. i dont know how to post a pic here

you're right about the ipod volume...but i have my ipod volume max'd and my HU volume max'd too.

how many different HU are there anyway. i know the old 1, i had an Xa before with the old HU and the new 1, which is in my 06 Tc. guess i gota read more to find out.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks to me like he's simply got the iPod-enabled head unit.

What I'm curious to know is how difficult it is to add the iPod connector cable to the normal head unit. I don't care about controlling the iPod from the stereo or steering wheel buttons, but it would be nice to power the iPod and get sound out of it through the single connector.

--mark
Old 10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah you have to have the ipod head unit. it runs about $500 installed, kind of expensive but i love mine.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you don't care about controlling the ipod buy one of those line-out adapters that plug in to the dock connector on the iPod and plug that in to the Aux port.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

KAD
SL Member

I AM GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS ONE, I have the Ipod adapter, but no IPOD!
Yah, well i figured christmas was coming up.... well, i will borrow somebodies and play with it!

I will let you know what i come up with!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member

I have my iPod connected into the AUX jack and then running out of the console itself into my cupdholder. I don't know about you guys, but my dealership gave me this neat little "iPod holder" that's shaped so that it holds an iPod sugly and fits into one of the cupholders. This way I can change songs by reaching down.

A bit of a warning, though: if you hook an MP3 player throught he AUX jack, the sound quality is nowhere NEAR CD quality. Just a step up above the radio. And volume is shot. You have to put the MP3 player to max volume to get anything out of it (which drains the batteries real quick), and then play with the volume through your steering wheel/head unit.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man - it looks like that guy has every accessory that Scion makes. I know it's the auto, but what are those pedals? Are those the OBX pedals? Those look pretty good, at least in the pictures. I think he should have just left the iPod the way it was though - drilling all the holes to put it into the top section of the console looks stupid.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

that is the iPod HU in those pics
with that iPod HU upgrade your supposed to get that HU and a third connector in the armrest labeled iPod and a cable to conect the iPod from the dock connector to the iPod jack in the armrest

and the sound is great, totally digital too. i love it

and yes those are the OBX pedals Scion offers
Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just so you guys know... I'm pretty sure the iPod upgrade is only available when you order. You can't add it later (like the side airbags). They have to install that jack ... as well as the HU.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

get one of these - the line out jack in to the AUX jack in your car will make a difference.

I used one in my old car and it worked.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard you could get it installed in your car for i think around $550 after you buy the car.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

ack154 & ricexizxgood : I just got my '06 tC last week. It came with the stock headunit, but I told the dealer I wanted the iPod head unit or nothing. So the dealer ordered the part in and just added the $260 on the bill(no charge for install). I can't speak for after you buy the car. If you look in your center console with a flashlight, you'll see that the iPod jack hole is there, it just has a solid plug filling it in if you have the stock hu. I imagine it's not too difficult to pop this out and run the wiring. If you have the iPod HU (and somehow don't know this) there will be a little hinged plug that says "iPod" on it.

One note, though, my iPod isn't being recognized when I plug it in to the jack in my center console. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to tell me what is wrong. Anyone else run into this? I have a first-gen iPod mini. So it has the dock connector and latest iPod software.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, I'm using the IPOD HU right now, I also ordered it with my car.