Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod2Car Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default iPod2Car Install

In this tutorial, I will be installing Peripheral's iPod2Car. This kit allows you to interface your iPod (3g, 4g, Mini, Photo, or nano) with your factory stereo, controls intact.

I would like to thank Trevor from ISS Electronics for providing the kit w/ adapters.

****I advise you to read through the iPod2Car manual before continuing with this install. Although I think my tutorial is thorough, it is smart idea to read through it for good measure.****

Parts Needed:
1x Peripheral iPod2Car iPod Interfacing Device
1x Peripheral PXHTY1 Adapter
1x Peripheral PXHTY2 Adapter

Tools Needed:
Flathead screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
10mm Box wrench or Socket wrench
Rags (optional)

Out of the Box
In the box comes the Peripheral iPod2Car iPod Interfacing Device and the PXHTY1/PXHTY2 adapters.

Now, with tools and iPod2Car in hand, head over to your car.

The Install
Pop the hood and unplug the negative lead from battery. You may want to cover it with a dry rag to prevent it from mistakenly making contact with the battery during the installation.

Now you are ready to get to business. Use flathead screwdriver covered in a rag to pop off the center interior trim.

Once the interior trim pieces are off, pull out the two outside climate control *****.

There will be two screws. Undo the screws and keep them in a safe place.

Now, you can pull the center panel off.

There are wires connected to it. You can either unplug them, or let the panel hang.

Now, undo the screws holding the head unit bracket in place. Once undone, put them in a safe place.

Once the screws are out, you can slide the head unit forward. I put it on its' side. The highlighted red socket is where you want to plug in the PXHTY2 adapter

If you have not already done so, connect the two harness together like this:

Make sure they are connected. They might need a little more elbow grease than usual.

Insert the PXHTY2 adapter plug into the second socket (from the right) on the back of the head unit.

****DO NOT plug in the PXHTY1 harness into the iPod2Car unit until you set the dip switches.****
The manual says to have this setup for the Scion head unit:

I was not happy with the results. The volume output was low, there was an audible hum, and the controls seemed laggy. I ended up switching #6 to ON. Apparently #6 is a volume booster of some sort. I was not able to get any concrete information on the dip switches, so YMMV...

Once you set up the dip switches, plug the PXHTY1 harness into the iPod2Car unit. Also, plug the dock connector cable to the iPod2Car unit. If you want, you can reconnect the battery to make sure the unit works with your iPod. Plug the dock connector into the iPod, turn on the car, turn on the head unit, and press the CD button until it goes into "CD Aux" mode.

Once you verify that the unit works, go ahead and figure out where you want to have the dock connector. There are a few places you can feed the cable to...glove box, one of the cubby holes, center console, etc. I fed it through behind the dash to the bottom cubby.

After feeding the dock connector cable, you can start putting everything back together.

I put the iPod2Car unit behind the head unit. It seemed pretty snug back there. Slide the head unit back in. Screw in the head unit bracket. Re-install the center panel and interior trim. Once everything is re-installed, double-check the head unit to make sure everything works okay. Once everything is checked, you should be good to go. Enjoy listening to your iPod in your car the way it was meant to be listened!

(4g iPod in a Griffin iSqueez)

Final Thoughts
After playing with the iPod2Car setup for a little under a month, I have formed a noteworthy opinion on it. The audio quality (w/ dip switch #6 ON) is fantastic. Being able to skip the the next/previous song via the head unit is great. Sometimes I forget I'm playing music via the iPod. The ability to charge the iPod while plugged into the iPod2Car is such a perk, as well. I rarely charge my iPod anywhere but in my car now. Also, being able to use the iPod controls while connected to the iPod2Car is a feature that is not available on all direct-connection iPod setups.

Even though I like the iPod2Car a lot, it still has flaws...but they are easily overcome. The auto-on/off feature is a bit flakey. I'm not sure if it is because I have dip switch #6 in the ON position, but I have found a work-around. If you press Track-Down on the head unit, it will wake up the iPod, but it won't activate the play function. If you switch to CD, then back to CD Aux, it will activate the play function. If I turn off the car and the iPod is still on, I put the iPod in sleep mode, manually.

If there are any questions, please post here, PM or email me.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

pretty good
Old 10-30-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey, Michael, does it charge the ipod as well?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by LVXB
Hey, Michael, does it charge the ipod as well?
Yup! It charges the iPod while it is playing. It'll also charges for an hour after the car is turned off, then it shuts off.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

link for the cheapest online?

*runs to froogle*
Old 10-30-2005, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default RE: Ipod2car

I heard this thing was really good. It says that you need a seperate harness from toyota, is this true? If so, where did you get it and how much was it? Did you get it from the dealer. Also, I was looking around and saw that Metra makes a very similair unit to this one, but it seems as if you do not need the toyota harness, it is also like 40 bucks cheaper. Did you look into this before buying PAC's ipod2car?
Here is the link for the metra piece. This site also offers a cheaper version than the Metra one, it is called USA spec, it looks kinda bootlegged though. Let me know your thoughts on what is best.

http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/catalog...38/1550816.htm
Old 10-30-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

The Peripheral PXHTY1 and PXHTY2 Adapters are the harnesses that are needed for the install. They came with the kit ISS Electronics sent me, but I think most places sell them for $10 a harness. You can also get them at your local car audio store (might be under another brand)...

Over the summer, I was looking at the Metra and USA Spec units. Both the Metra and USA Spec kits are car-brand-specific. They already come with the harnesses needed in the box, but they do have their flaws... Both kits only allow up to 6 playlists (name-specific), and they lock out the iPod screen/controls. USA Spec is coming out with a PA-11 kit, which allows you to control the iPod via the iPod controls, but the price is higher than the PA-10. Owners of the US Spec PA-10 can send their unit in for a reflash to PA-11, but it costs $20 or so. The Metra and US Spec kits are decent, but I found it hard to put money on them. I really like the iPod2Car, though. :D
Old 10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

price? link?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

Sounds good. ISS electronics? Cant find it. Gotta link?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by barefootbilly
price? link?
Originally Posted by scioneezDream
Sounds good. ISS electronics? Cant find it. Gotta link?
http://www.isselectronics.com/

They were supposed to go live this weekend, but I guess not. *shrug*
You can call them a 1-815-933-7655. Ask for Trevor.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man... so when can I get this?

Gotta talk to that guy??
Old 10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well... I found the kit online..

its frikkin 179.00... soooo tempted!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member

where you find it?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by bBsactoguy
Well... I found the kit online..

its frikkin 179.00... soooo tempted!!!
There are cheaper alternatives (iTrip, etc)...but I do a lot of driving up/down Florida. I'd have to switch FM stations every 20 minutes. Also, in Orlando, there's only 2-3 stations that are free to be used via the FM modulator (iTrip). A direct-connect iPod setup is the way to go for less headaches and CD-quality audio.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... i know... hahaha Its either that ipod connector.. or a new radio.

The stock radio, although still nice, is sort of outdated and...well.. you know it can't compete with the new model
Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nice write up Miko

you deserve a raise
Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member

where did you find it for 179.00??
Old 10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh... Froogle.com searched ipod2car... I think its a worth it buy... like what mikochu said... there are alternatives
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, nice write up man...I have done one for the tC complete w/ pictures.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90300

It's basically the same as the xB or xA just removing the HU is different which I have pictures of.

As far as price goes, I got mine on eBay for $89.95 + s/h of like $5. It's not marked 'Peripheral' or 'ipod2car'...but it's the same thing.

The guy I got mine from included the PXHTY1 harness cable but I picked up the PXHTY2 cable thru Crutchfield for $9.99 + free s/h.

I'd definitely go check out the eBay one. The guy is reliable and I think someone else bought one when I posted the link about 2 weeks ago.

Link to eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-CAR-INTERFA...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want to search for it, search 'ipod2car' within titles and descriptions.

Do check out my walk-thru for the tC as well.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will he supply the other wire harness too? Kinda don't want to steer in two directions for something that should be in an entire kit...

Quick Reply: iPod2Car Install